Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) I have a question (Read 7362 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Re: I have a question
Reply #15 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 11:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mr. Mashke While I have long maintained that profanity is the refuge of the weak minded, please allow me to borrow your expletive.

BULLSHIT YOURSELF.  If you had somehow passed your polygraph all those years ago, THIS SITE WOULD NOT EXIST and the Federal government would be stuck with you. That is the  REAL TRUTH behind the lie behind the lie detector. 

You are no crusader. You just lack the ability to stop stomping your sour grapes.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 5:35pm
Sancho Panza,

Although (as you indicated) you repeated Dr. Maschke's expletive (and further added an unsupported and irrelevant assertion), I don't see that you addressed any of the points he made in his two previous postings (one to each of two different threads).  I would agree with the points he made in those two postings.  Which would you disagree with?  Regards...
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2008 at 5:53pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 6:57pm
Drew Richardson,
Respond to what?

I have already provided quotes from two official investigations regarding the Aldrich Ames case that stand by themselves. They are accurate quotes and I have not misrepresented the conclusions of the investigative bodies. 

I provided a direct quote regarding the Griebl Case from the very document Mr. Mashke posted on his website. It too stands for itself. It is accurate, all I did was cut and paste the quote. Oh and Mr., Mashke forgot to tell us that Griebl passed on the question about having breakfast too. 

In both investigations, following polygraph examinations, the investigators were told the traitors were lying. In both investigations the investigators failed to give weight to the information they were given by the polygraphers that the traitors were lying. The result of both sets of investigators failure to listen to the polygraphers was continued traitorous acts by the very persons the polygraphers said were lying.

As to the other spies he said passed their polygraph, I took the time to follow the links he provided and learned that Mr. Mashke was attempting to use his own previous statements in an attempt to verify the accuracy of his most recent statements. That doesn't count as supporting documentation in my book. Neither does the for-profit ramblings of reporters, who seem to rely too much on "Unnamed sources" If he can provide substantive documentation, I assure you I will read it (probably more thoroughly than Mr. Mashke) and respond as I feel inclined. 

As to his rant in the Sex Offender section; that's all that is, just rant. It offers no information refuting the post to which he is making a response. He isn’t responding at all, just stating an opinion. 

Do you really think I need to remind or inform the members of this forum that I disagree with his opinion of Polygraph? Did you think I would be shocked or surprised at the news you agree with him?

As to your criticism that I somehow failed to respond to his post; both of you have failed to respond to points made and questions from my previous posts. Mr. Mashke chooses instead to proselytize his anti-polygraph, vengeance based Mantra while you rally to his defense like a JV cheerleader trying to make the Varsity Squad.

Do you really think he needs that much help stomping his sour grapes?

Do you believe that he would be critical of polygraph if he had somehow managed to pass his test? Do you think his site would exist if he had somehow managed to pass his polygraph test?

Based on everything you know about Mr. Mashke; if you were still with the FBI and you supervised an Agent with Mr. Mashke's personality characteristics would you feel comfortable assigning him to your most sensitive investigations? Why? Why not? 
Think about it and be truthful.

Sancho Panza

P.S.  as to your comment that I made an unsupported and irrelevant assertion I will respond as follows. 
Motive is never irrelevant and  support for this assertion appears in the personal statement of Mr. Mashke that appears on this web site, although I find it conspicuously absent from the forward of his book, which in my opinion is further evidence of THE LIE BEHIND The Lie Behind The Lie Detector, as a lie of omission.  

(modified to respond to DR's comment regarding my assertion)
s.p.
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:19pm by SanchoPanza »  

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:25pm
By the way, It appears that EJohnson is STILL waiting for YOU to respond to a question he asked you December 21st.

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #19 - Jan 1st, 2008 at 7:32pm
It looks to me like George wins the debate again.  Next thread please.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 2:16am
Quote:
Accuracy rates from laboratory studies with volunteers committing mock crimes and being polygraphed in the absence of jeopardy, such as the 2007 study by Honts and Amato to which you refer, cannot be expected to generalize to field conditions, where examinees face potentially severe consequences for being (rightly or wrongly) deemed deceptive. 

How do you know that?  Your answer implies you have discovered the construct so oft debated by polygraph opponents.  You can't have it both ways.  Even the NAS only found a 1% difference between lab and field studies.  I've never crunched the numbers, but I'd venture a guess there's no statistical significance between those stats.  Others have shown that argument to be bogus as well, but since the NAS is so oft venerated here, I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
But in any event, in the Honts & Amato study, only 63% of innocent examinees were correctly judged truthful by human examiners, while with automation, 76% of innocent examinees were judged innocent. In both cases, a substantial percentage of innocent examinees failed to pass. Under field conditions, one would expect even worse results.

Keep in mind that this was a screening exam study.  By their very nature, screening exams should be designed to make more of those errors in order to reduce the possibility of a false negative.  We can recover from one, but not the other.  Moreover, reactions in screening exam are (or should be) only considered tentatively positive (meaning you're not done).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 3:34pm
Barry_C wrote on Jan 4th, 2008 at 2:16am:
[quote] Keep in mind that this was a screening exam study.  By their very nature, screening exams should be designed to make more of those errors in order to reduce the possibility of a false negative.  We can recover from one, but not the other.  Moreover, reactions in screening exam are (or should be) only considered tentatively positive (meaning you're not done).

So, you are saying that it acceptable that a "screening exam" only be 75% accurate?  That it is okay to brand 25% of police applicants liars, knowing that the false positive polygraph result will follow them throughout  your carreer?

And you declare that you are a Man of God?

"A lie consists in speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving.  The Lord denounces lying as the work of the devil: "You are of your father the devil, . . . there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

I have a question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X