Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) I have a question (Read 7353 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Larry
New User

I have a question
Dec 30th, 2007 at 12:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I was watching the movie about alderich aimes and in the film he asked the soviets what to do. They told him to relax, eat a good meal, don't drink to much, get a full nights sleep, get there early, and establish a relationship with the examiner

this was how he presents he beat the test

how does that work?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: I have a question
Reply #1 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 12:32am
During the time when Aldrich Ames was polygraphed (and probably still today), the CIA was relying primarily on the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, in which the polygrapher looks for "consistent, specific, and significant" reactions to any of the relevant questions (such as, "Have you ever disclosed classified information to anyone unauthorized to receive it?"). This procedure has no scientific basis whatsoever, and large numbers of false positives are to be expected. In such a situation, being relaxed, pleasant, and appearing cooperative may be especially helpful in passing.

For more on Ames, see Aldrich Ames's CIA Polygraph Examinations. For more on the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, see The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SanchoPanza
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 1:39am
What you won't read at this website is information that the CIA Office of Security investigators withheld material investigative information from the polygraphers which prevented them from properly focusing their test questions towards the activities engaged in by the traitor. 

According to the Inspector Generals unclassified report, the major failing in the Ames case appears to be traceable to non-coordination and non-sharing of derogatory information concerning Ames.

That coupled with a quantity versus quality attitude brought about by a 1986 policy to reinvestigate employees every five years and a shortage of experienced polygraphers helped create a situation for exploitation by a traitor.

If you look at the totality of the circumstances surrounding Ames activities and the CIA's investigative process, it seems a little narrow minded for one to place the blame solely on polygraph.

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Larry
New User

Reply #3 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 2:22am
SanchoPanza wrote on Dec 30th, 2007 at 1:39am:
What you won't read at this website is information that the CIA Office of Security investigators withheld material investigative information from the polygraphers which prevented them from properly focusing their test questions towards the activities engaged in by the traitor. 

According to the Inspector Generals unclassified report, the major failing in the Ames case appears to be traceable to non-coordination and non-sharing of derogatory information concerning Ames.

That coupled with a quantity versus quality attitude brought about by a 1986 policy to reinvestigate employees every five years and a shortage of experienced polygraphers helped create a situation for exploitation by a traitor.

If you look at the totality of the circumstances surrounding Ames activities and the CIA's investigative process, it seems a little narrow minded for one to place the blame solely on polygraph.

Sancho Panza

Here is the thing

Thats all well and good but they (soviets/russians) gave him briefings that beat the ill informed polygraph agent

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 3:00am
Larry, In order to accept your statement that the Traitor was given a workable method of defeating the polygraph, you have to conclude that the test questions were focused properly on his activities AND that he was ever given suggestions by anyone on how to pass his polygraph. 

The only thing confirmed by independant investigation was the CIA Office of Security investigators withheld material investigative information from the polygraphers which prevented them from properly focusing their test questions towards the activities engaged in by the traitor

If the polygrapher had the specifc information that was in possession of the investigators and he  then passed his polygraph your argument might have some merit. But since the investigators chose not to share the information, we'll never know whether or not the "briefings" provided to the Traitor were in any way effective. 

All you really have to support your argument are the words of a traitor, noone has established in any other way that he ever discussed polygraph with anyone, much less his "handlers".

Sancho Panza

Quand vous citez des langues que vous ne parlez pas afin de sembler intellegent, vous vous avérez seulement que votre tête est gonflée mais videz.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Evan S
Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 3:31am
Discussions with my fellow employees after taking their CSP polygraphs suggest that developing a rapport with the polygraph examiner increases the probability of passing the polygraph the first time.

"The polygraph examiner was friendly and nice with me" means the subject is more likely to pass the polygraph.  But "The polygraph examiner was curt with me" means the subject will probably have to come back for additional polygraphs.

And yet it is simply a matter of time that the subject will pass a CSP polygraph, provided they are willing to take the polygraph as many times as asked and answer the relevant questions in the negative.  (I am not suggesting that the truly guilty lie on the relevant questions.  I expect such individuals to have already been weeded out by a thorough background investigation.  You cannot short circuit the background investigation process for security clearance adjudications.)

I expect our polygrapher posters will take issue with these statements, but I speak from experience.

Here is food for thought.  How many post-employment security-screening polygraphs are conducted per year over all federal agencies that require them for access to highly-classified information (intelligence community, DOE and DOD)?  I estimate about 50,000.  If the probability of a true spy among these individuals is about 1 in 10,000 (the base rate), then the polygraph should flag about five truly guilty people per year.  The American public would be informed through the news media of about five indictments for espionage each year, in which the polygraph played an indirect role in the indictment.  Yet I am not aware of any espionage indictment that was instigated by a problematic polygraph.

Regards,
Evan S

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 10:03am
Sancho Panza,

According to Weiner, Johnston, and Lewis, the questions Ames was asked were the standard questions he and everyone else were always asked, specifically:
Quote:
Have you divulged any classified information to any unauthorized person? Have you had any unauthorized contact with foreigners? Have you gone to work for the other side? Have you been pitched--that is, approached--by a foreign intelligence service.

Regardless of what information the polygraph examiner did or did not have, there is no doubt that Ames was lying on the first three questions.  But neither the polygraph nor its operator was able to discern that.  It seems you are suggesting that, had the operator known in advance that the subject would be lying, he or she would have had a much better chance of accurately detecting deception.  While that is almost certainly accurate, it is hardly a ringing endorsement for the accuracy of the polygraph.

The final question was actually answered honestly, since Ames had approached the Soviets, not the other way around.  But that is only answer the examiner said indicated deception, and after Ames gave his set explanation the conclusion was as follows:
Quote:
The polygraph operator deemed Ames forthcoming in all respects, and he called Ames's responses "bright" and "direct."

I don't see how this incident can be seen as anything other than a typical example of the inability of the polygraph to detect deception. 

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 12:03pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Dec 30th, 2007 at 10:03am:
Sancho Panza,

According to Weiner, Johnston, and Lewis, the questions Ames was asked were the standard questions he and everyone else were always asked, specifically:
Quote:
Have you divulged any classified information to any unauthorized person? Have you had any unauthorized contact with foreigners? Have you gone to work for the other side? Have you been pitched--that is, approached--by a foreign intelligence service.

Regardless of what information the polygraph examiner did or did not have, there is no doubt that Ames was lying on the first three questions.  But neither the polygraph nor its operator was able to discern that.  It seems you are suggesting that, had the operator known in advance that the subject would be lying, he or she would have had a much better chance of accurately detecting deception.  While that is almost certainly accurate, it is hardly a ringing endorsement for the accuracy of the polygraph.

The final question was actually answered honestly, since Ames had approached the Soviets, not the other way around.  But that is only answer the examiner said indicated deception, and after Ames gave his set explanation the conclusion was as follows:
Quote:
The polygraph operator deemed Ames forthcoming in all respects, and he called Ames's responses "bright" and "direct."

I don't see how this incident can be seen as anything other than a typical example of the inability of the polygraph to detect deception. 

Sergeant,     Journalists are not generally the best sources about what goes on inside the nation’s alphabet agencies.

Have you read the "Unclassified Abstract of the CIA Inspector General's Report on the Aldrich H Ames Case" or  the 1994 Senate Select Committee on Intelligence report "An Assessment of the Aldrich H. Ames Espionage Case and Its Implications for U.S. Intelligence", that indicated the traitor showed consistent deception in his 1986 polygraph regarding whether or not he had been asked to work for a foreign government or that a 1993 review of this polygraph by the FBI also raised concerns as to deception dealing with unauthorized disclosure of classified material?

In his 1991 polygraph where specific information regarding the traitors activities was withheld from the examiner, Deception was indicated, when he was asked whether he was concealing contacts with foreign nationals. After several hours of testing, he continued to show deception in response to the question. At a follow-up polygraph 4 days later he did in fact show no deception but the new examiner did note that his overall level of responsiveness was down considerably from the prior test. This might have been a red flag to many examiners. 

Isn't it odd that both of these investigative bodies that actually had access to ALL of the information and were looking to establish culpability for failure to locate and identify this traitor before he did serious damage; knowing that congress loves to put heads on the chopping block, (well at least anyone’s head but their own) failed to find fault with polygraph even though there were some criticisms of the management, coordination, and review structures. 

But NO, instead of looking at the whole picture and reviewing authoritative investigative information, let's just be little frogs at the bottom of a well , pick a few isolated phrases that support our position and cite this case as evidence that polygraph doesn't work based on the claims of reporters and traitors. 

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Dec 30th, 2007 at 10:40pm
Quote:
This procedure has no scientific basis whatsoever, and large numbers of false positives are to be expected.

Actually, that's not true.  Charles Honts, a "pro-polygraph" examiner and research, had always opposed screening exams and the R/I.  However, in 2007 he and Susan Amato did a study on automating R/I screening exams, and to his surprise, he found the R/I to work and they encouraged more research.  So there is some scientific support for the R/I test.  (There are two other good studies out there on R/I screening exams too.  I don't recall if the first one was peer-reviewed.  The Honts / Amato study appeared in Psychology, Crime and Law.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #9 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 12:14am
Several weeks ago Sancho quoted various passages in George and Gino’s book that clearly identified sections that encourage dishonestly when seeking a position of trust. George had adamantly maintained and unambiguously asserted he did not encourage deceitfulness and asked for some substantiation. Sancho unquestionably took the time to examine the information and provided more than enough to illustrate that in the free book that George and Gino co-authored and is offered for downloading on this terrorist and child molestation support site, they encouraged the reader in a number of sections of the book to be less than candid.  You see George and Gino, it is tremendously important to be entirely honest for the duration of a polygraph examination.  Perchance, George, that is why you were incapable of passing a polygraph examination on two occasions?   Although George claimed time and again that he was actually honest on his polygraph examinations, there is no credible evidence to suggest that he was in fact absolutely honest.  Whether he was or was not truthful is inconsequential.  What is, in my estimation critical, is that he was appropriately turned down for a position of trust with the United States Government.  Anyone after having been rebuked who would throw an international temper tantrum and would then attempt to make available information to those forces that would harm and murder innocent citizens and the criminal element (murders, rapists, burglars, child molesters) so that they may pursue their desired objective is not fit for a position of trust in the federal government or law enforcement.    Wink

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 12:33am
Sancho Panza,

While responsibility for the CIA's failure to deter or detect Aldrich Ames' espionage cannot and should not be laid entirely at the feet of the CIA polygraph division, the Ames case remains a spectacular failure of the polygraph. Ames lied and passed while committing espionage against the United States. Twice. While FBI polygraphers -- armed with 20/20 hindsight following Ames's arrest -- may have been able to review his polygraph charts and find signs of deception in them, the fact remains that Ames passed his CIA polygraph screening examinations. Ames may be the most notorious spy to have fooled the lie detector, but he is not the only one. Other spies documented to have passed the polygraph include:

Barry,

Accuracy rates from laboratory studies with volunteers committing mock crimes and being polygraphed in the absence of jeopardy, such as the 2007 study by Honts and Amato to which you refer, cannot be expected to generalize to field conditions, where examinees face potentially severe consequences for being (rightly or wrongly) deemed deceptive. But in any event, in the Honts & Amato study, only 63% of innocent examinees were correctly judged truthful by human examiners, while with automation, 76% of innocent examinees were judged innocent. In both cases, a substantial percentage of innocent examinees failed to pass. Under field conditions, one would expect even worse results.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 1:36am
Very Funny Mr. Maschke. You provide 6 names with links and claim that these are the "Other spies documented to have passed the polygraph" Just because you wrote it down somewhere doesn’t really count as “documented” proof’

The first link to Griebl links to another place on your web site (as do the others). The really funny thing about the Griebl link is that the finding of the polygraph examiner is as follows "This individual was unusually responsive on the Polygraph. His reac-{225}tions[sic] were so pronounced that it is believed they can be definitely isolated, and for this reason it is believed that the conclusions were unusually reliable. As a result, it is believed that he was deeply involved in the espionage ring and in direct contact with Dr. Pheiffer. It is not believed from the questioning that he personally took Lonkowski over the border. It is believed that his present co-operation with the F.B.I. agents is sincere up to a certain point, but that he is still withholding much information concerning his own complicity in the espionage network."
The other names all lead to YOUR OWN forum posts where you presume or imply that these spies passed their polygraph examinations with nowhere near the substantive support that I provided to you regarding the Traitor I wrote about.  

If I may AGAIN quote the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (instead of refer you back to an previously unsupported claim) "the traitor showed consistent deception in his 1986 polygraph regarding whether or not he had been asked to work for a foreign government " and regarding his 1991 polygraph "Deception was indicated, when he was asked whether he was concealing contacts with foreign nationals. After several hours of testing, he continued to show deception in response to the question."  I submit that based on that information alone, the polygraph did not fail and that the failure occurred when those persons responsible for acting on that information failed to give it proper weight. 

Unlike yourself, this committee has no reason to be either pro polygraph or anti polygraph. The only axe they had to grind was to nail the agencies, personnel, or processes responsible for the failure to catch the traitor. They had no long standing position or website to validate. They were not trying to justify why they co-wrote a book that repeatedly tells the reader it is OK to lie and deliberately conceal information as well as offering suggestions regarding ways and means to attempt conceal criminal activity. 

In other words they weren't trying desperately trying to conceal The Lie Behind The Lie Behind The Lie detector

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:07am
Sancho Panza,

With respect to suspected Nazi spy Ignatz Griebl, the key point is that, according to FBI special agent Leon Turrou, who headed the investigation, Griebl's polygraph results "made us relax all vigilance, all watchfulness over him." Five days later, Griebl fled to Germany. Reliance on polygraph results allowed a suspected spy to escape.

With regard to the Ames case, the fact remains that Ames ultimately passed his CIA polygraph screening examinations despite the fact that he was spying for the Soviet Union/Russia.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:22am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:31am
I disagree. In the Griebl Case the FBI was given ample information that Griebel had showed deception on his examination and then failed to give it proper weight. That is evident in the record you provided. 

In the other traitor case, Investigators were again given information regarding his deceptive responses to relevant issues and again chose not to give the information proper weight. The investigators were so worried that the Traitor would find out he was under investigation that they also deliberately withheld information that would have been relevant to any examiner who was trying to determine if he was a spy. 

However you choose to characterize the document YOU provided or these official records the language is plain. Neither of these traitors beat "Polygraph" they just beat the investigators. 

Sancho Panza

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Dec 31st, 2007 at 7:09pm
SanchoPanza wrote on Dec 31st, 2007 at 2:31am:
I disagree. In the Griebl Case the FBI was given ample information that Griebel had showed deception on his examination and then failed to give it proper weight. That is evident in the record you provided.

Griebl passed the following questions:

Quote:
Q.--Are you double-crossing the agents?

A.--No.

Q.--Are you sincere in present efforts to assist Federal agents?

A.--Yes.

I agree with you that the FBI failed to give proper weight to Griebl's polygraph results: they should have given them none at all.

You continue:

Quote:
In the other traitor case, Investigators were again given information regarding his deceptive responses to relevant issues and again chose not to give the information proper weight. The investigators were so worried that the Traitor would find out he was under investigation that they also deliberately withheld information that would have been relevant to any examiner who was trying to determine if he was a spy.

Although Ames (like countless others) had to come back for a second session during the second of his periodic polygraph screening examinations following the commencement of his betrayal of our government, there is no getting around the fact that he did pass it, and the CIA's misplaced reliance on that result facilitated his continued espionage against the United States. According to the SSCI assessment, "The fact that Ames passed his 1991 polygraph caused the CIC investigative team to be less suspicious of him."

If polygraph "testing" really worked, it wouldn't matter whether the polygrapher knew that Ames (among others) was under suspicion. And let us not forget that in the CIA's polygraph jihad that followed Ames' arrest, hundreds of honest employees had their careers pointlessly sidelined. For more on the Ames case, see Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

You write:

Quote:
However you choose to characterize the document YOU provided or these official records the language is plain. Neither of these traitors beat "Polygraph" they just beat the investigators.

Bullshit. If polygraphic lie detection worked, Griebl should have failed when  asked "Are you double-crossing the agents?" and "Are you sincere in present efforts to assist Federal agents?" Rick Ames should have failed both his 1986 and 1991 periodic polygraph screening examinations. The hundreds of CIA employees who wrongly failed their polygraph screening examinations in the aftermath of Ames' arrest should have passed. And the other spies I mentioned earlier (Karel Frantisek Koecher, Larry Wu-tai Chin, Ana Belen Montes, and Leandro Aragoncillo, and Jiri Pasovsky) should not have passed.

Polygraph "testing" is a pseudoscientific fraud that is undermining, not enhancing, national security and public safety. The polygraph community -- which puts its collective self-interest above the national interest -- is not to be trusted, and the results of their bogus "tests" are not to be relied upon for such weighty matters as our national security.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

I have a question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X