Normal Topic LVMPD Polygraph Question (Read 10508 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Normal
New User

LVMPD Polygraph Question
Dec 25th, 2007 at 5:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm a 20 something year old future recruit who plans on applying to LVMPD. I'm currently eligible for a police department outside of LVMPD, however I've never taken a polygraph.

After reading this entire website as it applies to me, I fully understand the logistics of a polygraph test. It seems like its more trickery than anything, but that's jus my personal opinion.

Questions: I noticed in another thread that some guy said LVMPD asked him a total of 10 questions; however my background packet features well over 100 questions. Up until I read these forums I thought my polygraph test would feature EVERY question in the packet.....is this true? If not, how are the questions based.

I really don't have much to hide, besides my past marijuana use. I recently quit smoking marijuana within the last 2 years. From my understanding most departments want you 3 years clean. Can anyone verify this information? Is anyone currently employed with LVMPD and admitted to marijuana use in the past couple of years? What are their standards as far as marijuana usage? I really feel bad, but at the same time this is something I seriously wanna do.
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2007 at 8:01pm by Normal »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: LVMPD Polygraph Question
Reply #1 - Dec 25th, 2007 at 6:47pm
Steph Dakel,

The polygraph administrator will select approximately 10 to 12 questions from the BI questionnaire. Once the specific questions have been selected, the polygraph administrator will then ask you 10 to 12 questions on three different sets of charts while you're connected. The questions will be re-arranged during each of the three sessions.

I would personally admit to the marijuana use if it has been over two years. There is no need to risk lying about it, especially if it is within acceptable guidelines. You need to find out what the LVMPD guidelines are regarding marijuana use. Exercise prudence!

Keep in mind… telling the truth is no guarantee of successfully passing a polygraph exam. False positive results are frequent and certainly not uncommon. However, if you are caught or suspected of employing polygraph countermeasures you will also be disqualified.

I would advise you to re-read “TLBTLD” to make sure you understand how the polygraph testing process is conducted. 

I’m not suggesting that you use polygraph countermeasures… however; you should certainly understand the risks involved of not applying countermeasures (false positives), as well as the risks involved if you decide to employ polygraph countermeasures.

Good luck.

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Normal
New User

Reply #2 - Dec 25th, 2007 at 7:52pm
As seen on the background packet, the agency clearly asks "have you done any illegal drugs within the last 3 years." in fact, that question is asked twice. Once within a series of drug related questions, then another time at the end of all drug questions leaving me to believe it's an "irrelevant" question. second time asked

I think I'm better off trying counter measured answers as it applies to questions concerning how recently i've smoked marijuana. But as I understand, you are only suppose to use countermeasuring as it applies to "controlled questions"......the question of "have you smoked marijuana within the last 3 years" isn't a controlled question. so this leaves me confused.

now that i understand there will be a series of 10 questions 3x i feel very discouraged.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - Dec 25th, 2007 at 9:58pm
Steph Dakel,

If the question is specific about 3-yrs regarding drug use, my guess is that three years would be the minimum acceptable time frame.

Word to the wise, any question regarding drug use is a relevant question. Don’t confuse relevant and irrelevant questions. Read TLBTLD again, and pay close attention to the examples of relevant, irrelevant, and control questions. You certainly don’t want to confuse the question, and augment your response with a relevant question.

Don’t fee discouraged because of being asked the 10 to 12 questions on three sets of charts. This is actually beneficial as you will be able to better identify the control questions from the relevant questions. The only difference between the three sets of questions/charts is they will be arranged in a difference sequence than the previous.

If you have decided to employ countermeasures, re-read “TLBTLD” to make sure you fully understand the complete process from the time you arrive, until the time you leave. Remember, once you are connected to the polygraph machine, you are being monitored by the examiner for such things as your breathing rate, pulse rate, etc… be very aware.

Keep us posted on your progress and results of your pending poly.

triple x

IP Logged

LVMPD Polygraph Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X