Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) POLYGRAOH TOMORROW PLEASE HELP-> Biting and squeezing (Read 6600 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Colorado
New User

POLYGRAOH TOMORROW PLEASE HELP-> Biting and squeezing
Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My parents are making me take a polygraph to see if i helped my friend commit a crime. The question they want an answer for is "Did you help him commit this crime" I did not but know i will be nervous. I dont want to be an innocent person called a liar. I can't back out and need some help. Do I bite my tongue on all questions except the one i will be nervouse on or what? I am already going to breathe slow. Please help

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: POLYGRAOH TOMORROW PLEASE HELP-> Biting and squeezing
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 5:20am
Colorado,

Don't bite your tongue or employ countermeasures.

Just realize that the machine simply measures your level of nervousness.    Many people who lie when asked a question during a poly get nervous, many people WHO TELL THE TRUTH when asked a question during a poly GET NERVOUS.  So what the hell good is it?

If the person being tested is naive (like most people) and actually BELIEVES the machine can detect a lie, they will be bluffed into making an admission.

SO, the best advise I can give you is DON'T ADMIT TO ANYTHING!

I don't care if they scream, threaten you, cry, get red in the face, call you names, or whatever.  Don't admit to shit!

If they claim the machine is telling them you are lying, then tell them the problem must be with THEIR MACHINE and not you're veracity.

If the machine does show disception, and you make a confession, YOU FAIL!

If the machine does show disception, and you make NO confession, you'll get a INCONCLUSIVE.

Want to fail?  Make a confession.  No confession, no failed test.  Would you rather get an "inconclusive" or a "failed doctor Phil!"

It's that simple.  Their goal is to get you to start yacking and say something stupid.  Don't fall for their con.

P.S.  If things get heated, ask them why their test is inadmissable in court IF IT's SO DAMN ACCURATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:02am
Colorado wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:25am:
My parents are making me take a polygraph to see if i helped my friend commit a crime. The question they want an answer for is "Did you help him commit this crime" I did not but know i will be nervous. I dont want to be an innocent person called a liar. I can't back out and need some help. Do I bite my tongue on all questions except the one i will be nervouse on or what? I am already going to breathe slow. Please help

How old are you?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 3:31pm
Colorado wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:25am:

Colorado,

Polygraph countermeasures are explained at length in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Breathing slowly is a bad idea, as it is likely to be interpreted as a polygraph countermeasure.

I suggest you consider an alternative to using countermeasures: the "complete honesty" approach that is also described in Chapter 4 of TLBTLD. You might tell your parents that you've researched polygraph testing on-line and learned that it has no scientific basis, is inherently biased against the truthful, and yet may be beaten by liars using simple countermeasures. Perhaps your parents will realize that resorting to a lie detector "test" was a foolhardy choice.

Should your parents nonetheless compel you to go through with the polygraph, you might also use the complete honesty approach with your polygrapher. When (s)he asks what you know about the polygraph, just be honest. You might even mention the fact that you've posted here. If the polygrapher is wise, (s)he may well agree that you, (presumably) being a minor, being forced to take the polygraph against your will, and having learned about the trickery on which the "test" depends (see Chapter 3 for full details), are not a suitable subject for polygraph "testing."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thebigmainer
New User

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:27pm
If you tell the tester that you know about the polygraph and are labeled as not suitable doesn't that hurt you in getting a job?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:30pm
thebigmainer wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 4:27pm:
If you tell the tester that you know about the polygraph and are labeled as not suitable doesn't that hurt you in getting a job?

Quite possibly. But Colorado is not facing the polygraph in connection with a job application.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:06am
Thanks for all the information. I'm 17 by the way. If i bite my tounge though, should i only do it on the control questions? I will tell him that i researched polygraphy and see what happens from there.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:14am
Colorado wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:06am:
Thanks for all the information. I'm 17 by the way. If i bite my tounge though, should i only do it on the control questions? I will tell him that i researched polygraphy and see what happens from there.

Should you choose to employ tongue-biting as a countermeasure, then yes, it should be applied only on the control questions. However, should you choose to go the complete honesty route, I would suggest foregoing any countermeasures. Instead, you might bring with you, say, a printout of the AntiPolygraph.org homepage and/or this article as proof that you've researched the polygraph and understand that it's pseudoscience.

In addition, you might want to refuse to sign any liability waiver that the polygrapher may shove under your nose.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:17am
If they ask you if you have ever lied, would that be considered a relative or a control, since it is a lie detector? I also understand that you should answer control questions with complete honesty, is that coorrect? If he ask's "Are the lights on" or "Is your name ____" should i bite my tongue for those answers? Thanks for all the answers.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:36am
Colorado wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 5:17am:
If they ask you if you have ever lied, would that be considered a relative or a control, since it is a lie detector?

I don't know what you mean by "since it's a lie detector," but a question about whether one has ever lied would be a probable-lie control question. Note that there are no "relative" questions in a polygraph examination but rather relevant questions.

Quote:
I also understand that you should answer control questions with complete honesty, is that coorrect?

No. An examinee's answers to control questions are expected to be less than completely truthful. While it is okay to make minor admissions, there is no need, for example, to attempt to disclose every lie one has ever told in one's life.

Quote:
If he ask's "Are the lights on" or "Is your name ____" should i bite my tongue for those answers? Thanks for all the answers.

No. Those are irrelevant questions, not control questions. Note that some polygraphers will falsely refer to the irrelevant questions as control questions in an attempt to mislead examinees.

Your questions make it clear that you have not read and understood Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Attempting polygraph countermeasures without fully comprehending the material covered in those chapters would be a mistake.

Again I suggest that you consider using the complete honesty approach and foregoing countermeasure use.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box raymond.nelson
User

If you win the rat race,
you're still a rat.

Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 3:30pm
So, how did it go?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 3:39pm
raymond.nelson wrote on Dec 7th, 2007 at 3:30pm:
So, how did it go?

Before answering that question, "Colorado" should be aware that Raymond Nelson is a polygraph examiner in the state of Colorado, and not likely a well-wisher.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

User

If you win the rat race,
you're still a rat.

Reply #12 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 6:24pm
Quote:
Before answering that question, "Colorado" should be aware that Raymond Nelson is a polygraph examiner in the state of Colorado, and not likely a well-wisher.

Mr. Maschke,

Please try to refrain from speaking for my wishes in that manner. Expressing other people's thoughts and intentions is regarded by many therapists as disrespectful, and an indicator of poor interpersonal boundaries. In its worst forms, such "mind reading" becomes a form of interpersonal battering and abuse. 

You cannot possibly know my wishes.

For all you know, I might wish everyone who is truthful and cooperative to have a favorable test outcome. 

It was a very interesting situation to observe you coaching the person on how to defeat the test. Don't you think it would be most informative to read more about this person's experience, and whether (s)he took or passed the test?

r

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 2:36pm
Raymond,

I don't pretend to be able to read your mind. But I am able to read your past posts, including those you made here while trolling under the screen name Ludovico. Your past conduct inspires little confidence regarding your present good faith, and "Colorado" would be wise to exercise caution in revealing personal information.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

User

If you win the rat race,
you're still a rat.

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 8:24pm
Mr. Maschke,

If you read my posts above, you'll notice that I did not ask for any personal information.

I merely asked how the polygraph went. 

Aren't you a little curious?

r

IP Logged

POLYGRAOH TOMORROW PLEASE HELP-> Biting and squeezing

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X