Normal Topic Post from PolygraphPlace (Read 2332 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Post from PolygraphPlace
Dec 2nd, 2007 at 5:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been reading the PolygraphPlace board too, but figured if I asked questions over there I would just get kicked off anyway, so why bother.  Anyway, this post is a perfect example of why polygraphy is so suspect.  How can something like this be considered scientific in any stretch of the word "scientific?"

"Do to some personal issues that my gf and I have been having, she insisted that she take a polygraph test to prove the rumors going around about her were false.
We searched using this website's front page
for someone in our area. 2 came up and we had to basically make a decision by calling them and giving them a small interview. We asked things like how long they've been doing it, how reliable they think they are, what sort of cases they mostly deal with.

We chose the guy who said he has worked mostly with relationship cases, hes been doing it for something like 5-6 years. He said hes had cases where the relationships have ended and hes had cases where the relationship stayed in tact. 

He was kind enough to inform us that any relationship that has to take it this far has trust issues already and he seemd like a good person all around.

He started off by asking my gf ( i wasnt in the room) some starter ?'s

1.Do you live in Ohio (she doesnt)
2. Are all the lights in this room on (they were)
uhh.. etc, etc. things like that Is the thing around your arm too tight? small ?'s

Then he asked her 3 main questions.

Did you have vaginal intercourse with so and so?

Did any part of so and so's thingy touch your mouth?

Did any part of your genetilia touch so and sos mouth?

She answered no to all 3 and results came back that she was not being deceiptive. she was in fact telling the truth. I felt bad, but I had questions in my head like how do i know if this is true?

I feel like a real jerk okay?I feel very badly about acusing her. I obviously can see I have trust issues with her and that things are not exactly going our way. beleive me, its not hard to see I'm not blind. I have been really trying to make things work with her since that day and basically not bring it up. BUT i just would like some reassurance, do u think this test is right? is there anyway to pass the test? Shes a very good liar, sometimes I think, what if she really made herself think that the rumors were not true? then she could pass, right?

The reason I think about this stuff is because 1 week before we went for the test. I kept asking her are they true and she said yes. Later that night she admitted she lied when she said yes because she just wanted me to shut up and stop asking.. i dont blame her at all.

Another reason i think about is the test true because the girl who started the rumour used to be her good friend and she is very good friends with the guy this happened with. In the past something happened I asked him about the situation and he told me the truth.. it was basically her that was lying..

I dont want to ask him because me and him have bad history together and I know we hate each other. So he might just bullcrap me to make me angry, also i think bringing it up to him might make me more angry with her and make it 100% impossible for us to even move on and be together."

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Re: Post from PolygraphPlace
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 6:59pm
Are you serious? I've read this at polygraph place too. 
One, if your having serious trust issues with a lover, why are you still with the lover? You pay some person hundreds of dollars for a polygraph? Again, if I was asked to do a poly for LE I'd say no (exception prescreen for work). But if my girlfriend, or wife said that, well time to move on as far as I am concerned. 
Not even worth a second look...

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Re: Post from PolygraphPlace
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:24pm
Some examiners do them, some examiners require a 3rd party counselor get involved to temper rash decisions over the results, and others such as myself, don't do them at all.

AR003.jpg ( 145 KB | Downloads )
AR003.jpg

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Post from PolygraphPlace

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X