Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LEO pre-emp polygraph, general questions (Read 24544 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Re: LEO pre-emp polygraph, general questions
Reply #15 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm trying to think of a way to write my reply to sound nuetral. I like nuetrality. Both sides have a valid point as far as I am concerned. I do post on a anti poly site. But does it make me anti poly, not particulary. I am in agreement, that for Sex Offender probation programs, and for criminal investigations it is a great tool. I'll admit even for a pre screening test it could be a good tool, as long as a applicant was foolish enough to show up unprepared. By this I mean not knowing what to expect. Do countermeasures work? I don't know. I never used it. Did I ever show a false positive. You betcha. Was I able to clear my name in the post interview. Uh huh. Guess what, I wasn't labled a liar, however I did manage to stress myself out a little more then I had too. I had no one to blame but me. I came to this site, not to learn how to beat it, but to learn where did I go wrong. Too be honest, there is more positive information for pre screeners here, on how to pass(without cheating), or atleast try and calm yourself down before a poly. The key besides telling the truth, is to walk in with confidence. An investigator, or polygrapher is going to see that. Every step in LE is a test (remember the recruit). It's sort of true. LE is a stressful job. You go to work with the mindset, your gonna survive, and go home alive. I learned to deal with the Poly, and the VSA the same way. I'm going to tell the truth, and your not gonna stress me out to fail, or give you any reason to believe a false positive. Grant it, there are bad apples. Bueno, esta bien. Eso es la vida. But you should have the oppurtunity to A. explain yourself, B retake the exam with a different operator, C it wasn't met to be, and try a different agency. Being honest with a polygrapher will HELP your situation. But don't say you went to an Anti site only. Do the research from Pro sites (you should do that yourself). If you have expierence, give details. It makes there job easier, and you can walk in with a smile. On top of everything I have stated. I would prefer to be labeled a liar, the a cheat. But, thankfully I haven't been labeled either. Because well, I know personally I havent done either, and I can sleep with a guilt free conscious... My two cents... Cheesy

If you think you've done stuff to disqualify yourself, or you read disqualifiers where you match the description look somewhere else. Why waste people's time, and money, and that is including your own...

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #16 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:06pm
Dangit I like your posts nome. Smiley

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #17 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:35pm
He He He....
Thanks!!! Smiley

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #18 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 2:25am
EJohnson wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 1:22pm:
I am suggesting that you rethink taking a single data point---your own anecdotal experience---and applying it to an entire field. You do seem to relish any reported error---although you and others may give a sarrow-filled lip service over the casualties of errors------errors entirely outnumbered by successes. Once more, I and perhaps others still experience incredulousness over the fact that you eagerly assume that people claiming to be truthful and virtuous should use countermeasures on their polygraph----based only on their anonymous written claim. Once more, you levy--in not so many words---the label of fraud on thousands of fellow investigaters who either practice, or believe in the value (not just "prop" as you would label it) of the quirky yet effective art and science known as polygraph testing.

I am uncertain how you came to the conclusion that I “eagerly assume that people claiming to be truthful and virtuous should use countermeasures on their polygraph.”  I don’t think I have ever advised anyone to use countermeasures; I have always said it is up to them.  And I have always advised people to tell the truth rather than lie on their polygraphs.

There is a clear paradox in the fact that you can support polygraph testing as accurate and effective based on your own experiences and specific scientific studies that support your belief, yet you believe it is unreasonable for me to base my belief that the polygraph is inaccurate and ineffective on my own personal experiences and those scientific studies that support my belief.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #19 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 2:34am
nomegusto wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 6:40pm:
The key besides telling the truth, is to walk in with confidence. An investigator, or polygrapher is going to see that. Every step in LE is a test (remember the recruit). It's sort of true. LE is a stressful job. You go to work with the mindset, your gonna survive, and go home alive. I learned to deal with the Poly, and the VSA the same way. I'm going to tell the truth, and your not gonna stress me out to fail, or give you any reason to believe a false positive. Grant it, there are bad apples. Bueno, esta bien. Eso es la vida. But you should have the oppurtunity to A. explain yourself, B retake the exam with a different operator, C it wasn't met to be, and try a different agency. Being honest with a polygrapher will HELP your situation. But don't say you went to an Anti site only. Do the research from Pro sites (you should do that yourself). If you have expierence, give details. It makes there job easier, and you can walk in with a smile. On top of everything I have stated. I would prefer to be labeled a liar, the a cheat. But, thankfully I haven't been labeled either. Because well, I know personally I havent done either, and I can sleep with a guilt free conscious...

That’s an interesting point of view.

I believed, prior to failing my first three polygraphs, that all I had to do was tell the truth and I would pass.  I told the truth and I failed three times in a row.  My truthfulness and my confidence had nothing to do with it.  The test itself is flawed.

If the polygraph was worthwhile then truthful applicants would pass.  It’s just that simple.  An unknown percentage of truthful applicants do not pass.  Supporters of the polygraph believe that percentage is small, and opponents of the polygraph believe it is large, but no one pretends it doesn’t exist.

If, in your opinion, the test being used can only be passed (or is more likely to be passed) by a truthful person if that person studies the testing procedure and the available literature, how valid can that test possibly be?

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #20 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:48am
The last post puts it in a nutshell.  The test is represented as scientific.  The exam is the end all.  How do you explain the hell that innocent applicants go through as they are accused and presumed guilty only for telling the truth?  There is no avenue of recourse for "guilty" subjects other than to go through the gauntlet.  The Vikings would throw the accused into the water with their hands bound only to say that the innocent would float to the surface.  If one was smart enough to know that exhaling would allow the examinee to sink to the bottom only to push off to the surface and "breath" they would be presumed to be innocent.  If the Vikings only knew of "countermeasures" I assure you that they would have thrown the innocent into the waters at least two or three times!

Regards.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #21 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 5:15am
I'm thinking hard about the previous posts. Actually I'm thinking way too hard for this time of night, just so you know. But I got finished  watching an awesome soccer game for Saprissa. So, here's another 2 cents from little ole me. 
About the validity of the tests? Hmmm, good point. I've stated earlier, that I'm not a fan of pre screening polygraphs. However that being said, if it's part of the hiring process you have two options. Take the test, or look for an agency that doesn't utilize this test nor the VSA. 
However, if you take the civil service test, Treasury Enforcement Test, ASVAB, or any other test. Who normally passes, or receives a better score? The one who prepares, and studies, or the one who doesn't? I didn't say your gonna pass if you look up information. I said your gonna have an easier time being prepared. I've also stated the difference for me with preparing for the poly, and not preparing for the poly.  I passed both times, because I was able to explain my reactions. But the first one was a lot more stressful then the others. 
   I have NO idea where your going with the gauntlet post?!?!?!?!?! But it is a good point. Again, if your guilty of a crime, I personally think your a DUMB ASS for taking the poly in the first place. I don't really need a poly to get someone to confess of a crime. Niether does a polygrapher, however forget the science, anytype of interoggation is a art. The polygraph in that way is part of the canvass, the confession would be the final product. If your innocent, and being investigated for a crime, and you know/understand your rights, and were ask to take a poly, inwhich you foolishly agreed to. It's your own damned fault for willfully giving up your 5th ammendment rights. Shame on you, and your lawyer for agreeing. 
If your trying to obtain employment, again read what I wrote earlier. If a polygrapher is just reading your charts, he's not a good investigator. They record for a reason. I bet he/she is checking for NVI's. That's what I would do, but then again, I'm NOT a polygrapher. I'm just concerned that people aren't being responsible enough when it comes to this. 
Whether or not a person chooses to use CM's, it's thier own decision. I won't. I personally don't know if there is a class or not to detect CM's. I don't want to find out the hard way either. I'm interested in finding out how to detect them, but here is not the area to dispute. I enjoy the civil posts pertaining to a topic, not adhock attacks by either pro/anti Grin. The majority of posters are mostly leo's. So were mostly on the same team one way or another. Stay safe everyone...

semper paratus

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #22 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:27pm
You should become an examiner nomeg', add the satement analysis and your already steely-eyed sensebility and you'd be lethal in LE. Think about it.

.....and yes, there are courses for detecting countermeasures. Dr. Barland, formerly of DODpi throws a real humdinger of a course on cm detection.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:39pm
nomegusto wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 5:15am:

Again, if your guilty of a crime, I personally think your a DUMB ASS for taking the poly in the first place. 

If your innocent, and being investigated for a crime, and you know/understand your rights, and were ask to take a poly, inwhich you foolishly agreed to. It's your own damned fault for willfully giving up your 5th ammendment rights. Shame on you, and your lawyer for agreeing. 

WTF?

Nom, I find your posts full of common sense, but this one got me.  Maybe it was late, but it seems to me you said that if you are guilty of a crime and take a poly, you are a fool, and if you are innocent and take a polly, you are a fool.

I can think of a couple of instances where I would disagree with both of these.  If you are Gary Ridgway and want to take the suspicion off you for having killed 40 or so women, take a poly, pass it, and the cops look elsewhere.  it worked for him.

If you have been accused of a crime, but didn't do it, you might take a poly to clear your name, (but this is a VERY RISKY GAMBLE).  If one chooses to do this, do it privately, not with the LE polygrapher.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #24 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 4:57pm
nopolycop wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:39pm:

Again, if your guilty of a crime, I personally think your a DUMB ASS for taking the poly in the first place. 

If your innocent, and being investigated for a crime, and you know/understand your rights, and were ask to take a poly, inwhich you foolishly agreed to. It's your own damned fault for willfully giving up your 5th ammendment rights. Shame on you, and your lawyer for agreeing. 

WTF?

Nom, I find your posts full of common sense, but this one got me.  Maybe it was late, but it seems to me you said that if you are guilty of a crime and take a poly, you are a fool, and if you are innocent and take a polly, you are a fool.

I can think of a couple of instances where I would disagree with both of these.  If you are Gary Ridgway and want to take the suspicion off you for having killed 40 or so women, take a poly, pass it, and the cops look elsewhere.  it worked for him.

If you have been accused of a crime, but didn't do it, you might take a poly to clear your name, (but this is a VERY RISKY GAMBLE).  If one chooses to do this, do it privately, not with the LE polygrapher.

Ok, that last paragraph makes sense. But the first is rediculous. A close friend viewed the Ridgeway polygraph charts and noted an absolute lack of arousal response----like the polygrams of a piece of furniture. Many would make an Inconclusive call. So, your repeated referance to the killer is tired and narrow, but you definitely get an "A" for getting attention.

attentionwhore.jpg ( 27 KB | Downloads )
attentionwhore.jpg

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #25 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 5:59pm
Well Nopoly I'm no Gary Ridgeway, nor am I anyperson thats good at deceiving others. I know  personally, if I became under investigation for a felony crime. I'm NOT going to allow myself to take a poly. Again, as I stated on earlier posts a polygraph is part of a painting. 
For instance, when someone applies for law enforcement agency, and is subject to a polygraph does that person get hired afterward? Normally I'd say no. You have to go through the psychological, and then you have to (wait wait, are you sick of waiting yet? LOL) go through the Back Ground INVESTIGATION!!!! 
Grant it, I've read posts where we slam polygraph as a whole because a few bad apples were able to slip through the cracks. It happens, thats life. Innocent people are labled liars, and I apologize for that as well. But nothing is perfect. I don't like getting polygraphed. But I'm not at a level in my profession to tell the bosses to not polygraph for pre screening either. 
   Nopoly, knowing the information you know now. If per chance you were investigated for committing a crime, which you are innocent of. A detective, or criminal investigator asked to polygraph you, would you take the risk? If so, would you cheat, and risk being caught? I think if an investigator caught you using CM's, you'd be screwed. Especially if there were no other leads,  fruits of the crime, or instrumentality of the crime. 
   I wouldn't even need to use the machine as evidence. The fact that you were trying to delibratly alter a interrogation could be enough to make life miserable. 
   If that was me, I'm gonna lawyer up. Keep the mouth shut, and well most LEO's know what to do afterwards. 

EJ thanks... Wink

So yah, what I said was exactly that. For good reason. Since the majority of individuals unfortunatly DON'T know there rights. 

semper paratus

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 6:18pm
EJohnson wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 4:57pm:
nopolycop wrote on Nov 29th, 2007 at 3:39pm:

WTF?

Nom, I find your posts full of common sense, but this one got me.  Maybe it was late, but it seems to me you said that if you are guilty of a crime and take a poly, you are a fool, and if you are innocent and take a polly, you are a fool.

I can think of a couple of instances where I would disagree with both of these.  If you are Gary Ridgway and want to take the suspicion off you for having killed 40 or so women, take a poly, pass it, and the cops look elsewhere.  it worked for him.

If you have been accused of a crime, but didn't do it, you might take a poly to clear your name, (but this is a VERY RISKY GAMBLE).  If one chooses to do this, do it privately, not with the LE polygrapher.

Ok, that last paragraph makes sense. But the first is rediculous. A close friend viewed the Ridgeway polygraph charts and noted an absolute lack of arousal response----like the polygrams of a piece of furniture. Many would make an Inconclusive call. So, your repeated referance to the killer is tired and narrow, but you definitely get an "A" for getting attention.

Hmmm. Eric, you've gained a few pounds.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 6:19pm
Nom:

Knowing what I know now, I cannot answer the question you pose to me, because every circumstance is different.  A lot would hinge on the emotional baggage that would come with the type of crime accused of.  Are you going to respond emotionally when asked about that type of crime?  Have you ever committed a similar crime under different circumstances, which you might react to?  These are just a couple of variables that would preclude me from answering your question.

But, I do know that I would be very distrustful of taking a poly where it was done at request of a detective, by an LEO examiner.  After all, the results are not subjective, but instead, the opinion of the examiner.  IN truth, one cannot subjectively pass or fail, but instead one is given an an objective opinion by someone who has attended a trade school.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 6:23pm
Dear Nomegusto,

Which do you prefer; Lafayette or Axciton ?

Take care,

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #29 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 6:28pm
There's other circumstances concerning the polygraph. A. it's recorded. As far as I am concerned. If your a thorough polygrapher, your not determining the test just by the chart. It's going to be the totality of the situation. Your going to look for NVI's etc etc. I can tell without a polygraph if your sweating prefously during questioning by looking at a subjects shirt, or all of a sudden he's thirsty etc etc, and the room temp is 59 degrees. I honestly don't think there making a final decision just on a chart. As far as I am concerned, your prescreen interview will be a big make or break in any polygraph. Hell, if your doing so well on a prescreen, and a good written statement, will I even do the interrogation. Sometimes no. Polygraph as far as I am concerned is the same way. People are nervous. It happens. Some people can alter there breathing without realizing it, because of the conditioning in a stressful enviorement. It's life. But, it's not just the squiggly lines on a part, or computer graph. Thats interview/questioning 101... 

Polygraphers, please let me know if I am right or wrong? I don't want to overstep my boundry on this, since I'm not a polygrapher. I'm trying to write more on common sense then anything else...

semper paratus

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LEO pre-emp polygraph, general questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X