Normal Topic Online CIA Application Ignored? (Read 9727 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JimmyDean
New User

Online CIA Application Ignored?
Nov 19th, 2007 at 1:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello,

This is my first time here.  I just recently applied for a CIA analyst position online about a month ago, and have not yet heard anything back.  

I consider myself a good candidate (went to a top college, military experience, etc...), so I am curious as to why I haven't heard anything back.

Has anyone here at least received some kind of rejection letter after applying online, so at least you know they rejected you, and your application wasn't simply lost in the system?

Thanks,
JimmyDean

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box T.M. Cullen
God Member

Re: Online CIA Application Ignored?
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 7:18pm
Jimmy,

They probably get hundreds of applications per day!

Do you live near a university?  The intelligence agencies send recruiters periodically to campuses.  Go to their next visit.

Do you know anyone working at the CIA?

Competition is fierce at the CIA.

"There is no direct and unequivocal connection between lying and these physiological states of arousal...(referring to polygraph)."

Dr. Phil Zimbardo, Phd, Standford University

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Evan S
Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2008 at 3:14am
T.M. Cullen wrote on Feb 17th, 2008 at 7:18pm:
Jimmy,

They probably get hundreds of applications per day!

Do you live near a university?  The intelligence agencies send recruiters periodically to campuses.  Go to their next visit.

Do you know anyone working at the CIA?

Competition is fierce at the CIA.

I suspect the CIA (and other well-known federal agencies like the FBI) employs the pre-employment polygraph to quickly thin the pool of applicants.  Much cheaper and faster to eliminate the bulk of the applicants at the beginning of the process using screening polygraphs than to conduct detailed background investigations.

Previous postings suggest a ratio of 50 applicants per opening for the coveted job of FBI Special Agent (SA).  I can sympathize with the FBI for using the polygraph at the beginning of the process.  Even with a failure rate of 50% (quoted on this website), that still leaves 25 applicants per opening, a daunting task for the FBI employment office.

Jimmy Dean...try to determine the number of applicants per opening for the particular CIA position you are applying.  Ask yourself if it is worth the trouble and possible risk to your job prospects in the federal government if you fail the CIA polygraph (should you be lucky enough to get that far).

Regards,
Evan S

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1

Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 11:32pm
I had a friend who applied online and didn't hear anything.  A few months later he applied again and received a phone call shortly after.  When speaking to the recruiter he found out the first submission was never received.  Might be worth reapplying though the site says only to reapply if you have significant changes to your resume.

Also hiring has slowed significantly as well--could be waiting to see what will happen with Congress/budget/elections, or could just be the fact that budgets are always tight at the end of the fiscal year.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yopassdatshe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 7:51am
I think you should not be afraid to apply more than once.  I applied several times.  The last time I applied I only wrote three sentences in the about me section and got a response.  Prior times I wrote a page and didn't get anything.  Show them your interested and not just a UFO fan applying once.

IP Logged

Online CIA Application Ignored?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X