Normal Topic SIGH! (Read 7041 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sweatyhands
New User

SIGH!
Nov 7th, 2007 at 3:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Greetings all,
  I will start by saying I failed my only polygraph exam with the FBI in 2006.  It was devestating for me and have not attempted since.  I graduated with honors in 2005 from University of North Carolina and I am a navy veteran.  I was excited about being selected as an Intelligence Analyst for the FBI Counter-Terrorism Unit.  All that was crushed when some guy at the FBI said I was lieing about my prior drug use.  I had told them that I had minor experimental drug use several years ago with marijuana but that was all.   

The problem.  I suffer from hyperhydrosis, diagnosed by my doctor.  My hands sweat constantly, nothing I can do about it.  The poly examiner was getting pissed because my hands would not stop sweating and he couldnt get an accurate read.  He tried all morning then sent me to lunch to relax.  I came back and he tried once more and by that time I was upset too.  I was having problem asking the easy questions like "Are you married" because all I could think about was that I was going to fail.  He finally said that the results are inconclusive and that HQ will determine.  He asked if I want to say anything on paper and I wrote down that my drug use in no way violates the FBI policy and that I felt this was wrong.

Some time later I got a letter saying that I was denied my clearance.

I am considering starting a masters degree in intelligence this January.  In the back of mind I am worried that because my hyperhidrosis my hands will never let me pass the exam.  Their is a constant layer of sweat on my hands regardless of anything. So the finger tip reading will always be sweat.

Any advice would be appreciatted.

Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperhidrosis

That link might shed insight on my condition.  There is very little SAFE and proven ways to cure this condition.  Technically I suffer from palmar hyperhidrosos.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Re: SIGH!
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 2:54am
If your problem is palmar, then the electrodes could be placed on another area where you have eccrine sweat glands, e.g., the feet.

Quote:
I had told them that I had minor experimental drug use several years ago with marijuana but that was all.

I can read that a few ways, but anyhow, did you define "minor experimental drug use"?  If so, were you absolutely certain of your answer?  If you said you used it 10 times, but it's possible it was 11, then you can't be sure of your answer.  Unless you kept notes or only tried it once or twice, it's not always easy to get the number dead on.  If you're uncertain, you've got to work through that with the examiner so you can get to a point at which you know that you know that you're truthful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 11:06am
sweatyhands,

Bear in mind that polygraph "testing" has not been demonstrated to reliably differentiate between liars and truth-tellers in people without conditions such as hyperhidrosis. In 2002, the National Academy of Sciences completed a thorough review of the scientific evidence on the polygraph, concluding that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies." Nonetheless, the FBI and numerous other federal agencies continue to rely on this junk science.

One thing that I recommend you do is to file a Privacy Act request for your entire FBI file. It's a permanent record, and it (along with your polygraph results) will be reviewed by adjudicators if you ever again apply for a position that requires a security clearance (whether or not a polygraph is required). It's important that you be aware of what is in the file so that you can challenge any inaccuracies.

If you pursue graduate studies, you might want to consider a less specialized major in order to enhance your options for employment outside the intelligence community.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:09pm
Quote:
Bear in mind that polygraph "testing" has not been demonstrated to reliably differentiate between liars and truth-tellers in people without conditions such as hyperhidrosis.

That is your opinion based on a skewed view of the research.  There is plenty of research out there to support the opposite conclusion.  We are seeing more examiners trained, more testing, and more courtroom testimony being accepted.  Moreover, you have formerly anti-polygraph folks, testing polygraph and reporting on it favorably.  It's odd that the NAS report disagrees with you here, but you leave that out. 

Quote:
In 2002, the National Academy of Sciences completed a thorough review of the scientific evidence on the polygraph, concluding that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies."

That was in 2002, and as you see, it's a policy decision.  Moreover, they were wrong about CMs, so how do we know they weren't wrong in their other conclusions?  Also, did they review the current means of polygraph testing in those situations?  Answer: No.  We've changed things (many of us, anyhow) in the past five years.

In any event, they did find that single-issue (specific incident) tests do work; although they pointed out the obvious: they're less than perfect.  So, this issue could be resolved with a single-issue test, e.g., "Did you lie to me about your drug use?"

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:30pm
OK ... somehow I think this got a little off topic for my specific situation.

I have no benefit to lie or not lie on this forum as it has no consequence.

I can tell you my drug use was limited to mild experimentation, which I did not count the times but estimate at around 8-10 times over several years.  I told the guy who interviewd me from the FBI and the polygrapher as well.  The polygrapher felt that I was lieing about it and that I had a more addictive problem to drugs which is not true.

It seems wierd to me that they send this background investigator to interview all these people from the past and if not one person mentions drugs wouldnt that seem like a pretty good testament of whether someone had a drug addiction at some point in their life.

I can tell you he was clearly frustrated with the sweat coming from my hands as it was constant and not possible to cease.

I do have some specific questions to the both of you and I thank you for your posts as well.

Quote:
One thing that I recommend you do is to file a Privacy Act request for your entire FBI file. It's a permanent record, and it (along with your polygraph results) will be reviewed by adjudicators if you ever again apply for a position that requires a security clearance (whether or not a polygraph is required). It's important that you be aware of what is in the file so that you can challenge any inaccuracies.

Where do I get a privaqcy act request form and who do I send it to?  Who and how do I challenge inaccuracies?

Quote:
I can read that a few ways, but anyhow, did you define "minor experimental drug use"?  If so, were you absolutely certain of your answer?  If you said you used it 10 times, but it's possible it was 11, then you can't be sure of your answer.  Unless you kept notes or only tried it once or twice, it's not always easy to get the number dead on.  If you're uncertain, you've got to work through that with the examiner so you can get to a point at which you know that you know that you're truthful.

How can it matter if the number of times is 10 or 11?  The last time I touched marijuana was 9 years ago and it was a sporadic experimental issue never one of regular use by any sense of the word.  I never gave the examiner an exact figure because it happened a while ago and frankly I cannot truthfuly recall specifics.

Quote:
If you pursue graduate studies, you might want to consider a less specialized major in order to enhance your options for employment outside the intelligence community.

Without a specialized degree such as Master of Strategic Intelligence I feel I would lose the asset that comes with it.  It would seem to me that a person with a masters degree such as that would be a high commodity.  I have a strong resume filled with exceptional accomplishments.  Furthermore, I am in the process of becoming fluent in Russian.

Also,  I am currently a GS-09 in the federal government with the Dept. VA.  The position I have I can easily get to GS-12 and still live where I am now in a low cost area.  I am taking the masters to improved my marketability to the IC.  It is in the IC where I feel my job satisfaction truly exists.

Lastly, there are prescriptions I can use that only a doctor can prescribe which are supposed to cut off all sweat to the hands.  I have to treat my hands 3 days a week then as needed but once the treatment is underway it cuts all sweat.  I am not much of a prescription medicene user and have never done it.  Would that be considered unethical or a (CM?) if I were to be using that prescription while taking the polygraph?  I can tell you when I finish my degree in 2 years and start applying, I wont go into that room for the polygraph and not have taken care of my hands in some manner.  Whether its a medical report from my doctor or a prescription that kills the sweat glands.

I have spoken to some people about my experience and they basically say 2 things.  I got a knee jerk of a polygrapher for my examination AND the FBI by far is the most difficult to deal with in regards of passing a polygraph because they remain more narrowly focused.  I believe as well as others that their is more tolerance to real life pasts in other agencies then the FBI.  I will be seeking employment from the other IC community agencies, more particular, DoN intel, DIA, NSA, possible CIA. In hind sight I wish I would have appealed their decision and went before an adjuticator.

For instance, with the Department of the Navy, NCIS does their polygraphs if needed for their intelligence screenings.  If an unfavorable decision is returned by the navy, their appeals seems very open and straightforward.  It is displayed in SECNAV M5510.30.

Your continued help with this would be appreciated!

Thanks
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:49pm by sweatyhands »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:46pm
Barry_C wrote on Nov 9th, 2007 at 3:09pm:

That is your opinion based on a skewed view of the research.

Why skewed? It (NAS Report) is what it is.

Quote:
 There is plenty of research out there to support the opposite conclusion.

Circular.  The NAS debunked the bulk of research that you constantly refer to

Quote:
In 2002, the National Academy of Sciences completed a thorough review of the scientific evidence on the polygraph, concluding that "[polygraph testing's] accuracy in distinguishing actual or potential security violators from innocent test takers is insufficient to justify reliance on its use in employee security screening in federal agencies." 

Reply:
That was in 2002, and as you see, it's a policy decision.  Moreover, they were wrong about CMs, so how do we know they weren't wrong in their other conclusions?  Also, did they review the current means of polygraph testing in those situations?  Answer: No.  We've changed things (many of us, anyhow) in the past five years.

How can you simply dismiss the NAS as being "wrong". Please provide proof that NAS ever agreed to being 'wrong' about any of their report.

Quote:

I never said the NAS report wasn't valid.  It's really not a new "study."  It was more a of meta-analysis of what was out there already.  They pointed out that research in screening situations was lacking, and I agree.  They also stated some opinions that have since turned out to be wrong, so to blindly accept it in totality is an error.

Please provide proof that NAS was 'wrong' and admitted to being 'wrong'

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 8:15pm
Just when I think my post is getting off topic ... <BAM> .... someone completely hijacks it  Cry

I would like to continue the conversation that was beginning though  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 7:03am
Information on how to file a Privacy Act request is available on the FBI website here:

http://foia.fbi.gov/privacy_instruc.htm

There is also an independent website that you may use to generate an FBI Privacy Act request:

http://www.getyourfbifile.com/

While I don't know of any formal process for challenging inaccurate information in one's FBI file, one can write a letter to the FBI correcting any inaccuracies, and the letter should be added to your file.
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007 at 3:22pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Nov 10th, 2007 at 3:05pm
Thanks George ... I have printed the forms and will be sending them off on Monday.

IP Logged

SIGH!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X