Normal Topic Whats wrong with the truth? (Read 7733 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Steventwothousand
New User

Whats wrong with the truth?
Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:29pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone I am new to this board and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. 

In the next year and I am going to have a polygraph and I'm wondering what will happen if I just tell the truth about EVERYTHING? 
What are the actual policies to deny employment? I would imagine that most of these agency have people that are seeking exciting careers which would mean, in my opinion they have experimented with drugs or broke some laws. Not because all people who seek exciting lives are drug addicts or criminals but because if you are this type of person you do stupid shit in your teen years. 

So anyway here is my list of stupid shit. I am just going to let it all out when my time comes and see what happens so I am not worried about posting on here. But what are all of your opinions of being denied employment? The only thing they can question is whether I would do these things again, not my honesty or loyalty.

Smoked marijuana less than 10 times

Coke 3 times

Acid once

Broke into a house stole less than 200 dollars

Got arrested for possesion of marijuana
(These were all before 18)

joined military served four years

went to school got a degree in computer science from a good school

became fluent in arabic on the side.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Whats wrong with the truth?
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 11:33pm
If you apply for a job list answer all the background questions truthfully.

If the choices you have made in the past disqualify you from employment at that agency, apply elsewhere.

If your choices were so bad that you cannot get a job in law enforcement anywhere, pursue another career.

As much as no one wants to hear this, you need to accept responsibility and consequences for whatever actions you chose to take, even when you were younger.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PainfulDay
New User

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 8:21pm
I was denied employment for missteps far less severe than these. I answered every question honestly in the pretest interview and in the test itself.

Polygraphers DO NOT expect you to be completely honest. Tred there at your own risk. Maybe it will work for you. It didn't for me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #3 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:05am
I was once denied employment because my hair was too long. I found out from a friend who worked at the company later. Getting jobs stinks, and unfortunately we are never entitled to a job, regardless of how ideal we believe we are for the employer. Thank God I didn't get that job----I never would have met my wife. Regarding working in law enforcement. I never met a truly happy cop.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:30am
I'm on a roll today. Good to see you were accepted in the Military, and I thank you for your service. Were you able to get a clearance out of curiousity sake? If you passed your ssbi, stop stressing. But then again, I recommend not lying. Good luck in the future.

semper paratus

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 6:09am
EJohnson wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 12:05am:
I never met a truly happy cop.

If that is true and not merely hyperbole, I feel sorry for you.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #6 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:31am
huh? Why feel sorry for me? I am not a cop. And if memory serves, you are an accident reconstructionist---a sort of cop. No chasing perps through the hoods, no interviewing molested kids, and no interrogating murder suspects. 
Once more, you spend countless hours telling your tragic story of your infamous three failed polygraphs from years ago. Based on your humorless writings, I see no evidence that you are a happy man---instead I see bitterness and vendetta. Sorry, I do not mean to levy an ad hom attack------it's just an observation Sarge.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 7:35am
EJohnson wrote on Nov 27th, 2007 at 11:31am:
huh? Why feel sorry for me? I am not a cop. And if memory serves, you are an accident reconstructionist---a sort of cop. No chasing perps through the hoods, no interviewing molested kids, and no interrogating murder suspects. 
Once more, you spend countless hours telling your tragic story of your infamous three failed polygraphs from years ago. Based on your humorless writings, I see no evidence that you are a happy man---instead I see bitterness and vendetta. Sorry, I do not mean to levy an ad hom attack------it's just an observation Sarge.

Part of my job is traffic accident reconstruction.  I am also a shift supervisor for the patrol division.  I make arrests, interview molested kids and rape victims, as well as victims of domestic violence.  The only murderers I deal with are people who kill other people with their car, but that is because I work in a fairly small town.  The only murders we've had since I've worked here have all been involving motor vehicles.

The time I spend on this site is a tiny fraction of my life.  If you choose to characterize my posts here as the humorless recountings of my tragic tale of failed polygraphs, that is up to you.  I know from experience that the polygraph is not capable of detecting truth or deception, and I choose to spend some of my time participating at a web site where there are some like-minded individuals.  I think that is a perfectly normal and healthy expression of my opinion.

The reason I said I feel sorry for you is that if you feel the people around you are all unhappy, most often that means that you are the one who is unhappy.

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #8 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:16pm
Quote:
The reason I said I feel sorry for you is that if you feel the people around you are all unhappy, most often that means that you are the one who is unhappy.

That is quite a reach----maybe even a reach around----regardless, I have cops in the family, cops as friends----luckily for me they are wonderful individuals, trustworthy, dependable, sharp. True happiness is altogether a different thing. As a result of no testing anymore---and ridding my life of criminals (ok, in the sense of a professional setting)---I am finding a happiness I have yet to experience---and I wasn't fully aware of how toxic criminals could be on the psyche. 

ps I would hardly characterize daily viewing and posting on this site as a "tiny fraction" as you did in your previous post.

mon2_001.JPG ( 3 KB | Downloads )
mon2_001.JPG

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nomegusto
Senior User

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 12:04am
Well, since you never answered my question about your clearance I'm going to assume. I hate assuming. But I could be right in this instance. Did you lie on your SF-86? Forget about your polygraph. I think thats going to be the last thing you need to worry about. Before you go there, you need to fill out your application. Then your going to have to go through a oral board, I think the Poly is sometimes easier then the board. Instead of one person, your dealing with 3 maybe or more people. Then your off to the poly (or VSA), hec maybe your lucky enough to apply to an angency that does not utilize this test. Afterwards the psychological, then the BI. Unfortunatly your in the system. So your gonna have to include the arrests. You might as well include the drugs, since one of your arrests was for possession. How did you enlist by the way??? Smiley
I'm not questioning your patriotism, nor your integrity. But isn't breaking and entering a felony offense? I could be wrong. But you stated you were a juevenile. 
Of course when you take the poly I hope your not gonna lie. Because doing so would disrespect all the veterans who have served, or are serving for our country now, and here you are using your Vet status to cheat and get a job. They'll know about the arrests. No matter if it is sealed or not. Make sure you don't lie about tickets too...
Other then that, good luck. Thanks again for serving...  But seriously, I'd worry more about the department accepting your application before stressing out on the polygraph...

semper paratus

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 2:16am
EJohnson wrote on Nov 28th, 2007 at 9:16pm:
ps I would hardly characterize daily viewing and posting on this site as a "tiny fraction" as you did in your previous post.  

Perhaps you and I think of fractions differently.

Out of the 1440 minutes in each day, I spend five or ten of them on this site.  That's less than one percent, which I would characterize as a tiny fraction.

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2007 at 2:28pm
Quote:
Perhaps you and I think of fractions differently

Perhaps you and I think differently about a lot of things. Wink

IP Logged

Whats wrong with the truth?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X