Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What does it mean to "Pass" or "Fail" a polygraph exam? (Read 29346 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

What does it mean to "Pass" or "Fail" a polygraph exam?
Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:17pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If a person "Passes" or "Fails" a polygraph exam, what does that actually mean?  Is the final conclusion that a person passed or failed rely upon anything verifiable, or is it simply the opinion of the examiner?  If the former, what verifiable aspects of the process are there?  If the latter, then what leads up to that opinion of the examiner, and can the examiner manipulate the raw data to give whatever result he or she wants to give?

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Re: What does it mean to "Pass" or "Fail" a polygraph exam?
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:29pm
nopolycop wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:17pm:

"...... can the examiner manipulate the raw data to give whatever result he or she wants to give?

The examiner can manipulate the data at the input stage, to influence results the way he (examiner)
desires.
With an analog polygraph ( the ink pen polygraph ) that is Very Easy. Too many ways.
With the computerised polygraph, the examiner can influence the input data by asking his question several seconds before he depresses the question key or vice versa. 
Once the data is recorded on the computerised polygraph, any tampering or creation of a backdated chart will be detectable in the security thread. (ie if the examiner puts back the pc clock in order to 
reproduce a new-different exam, examination of the security thread will revea all.

Ask an examiner to produce his computer if ever you dispute a result - have an IT dude present to check the security thread. Problem is, the next examiner that allows an inspection of his computer will be the first examiner to do so.

And if you were tested on an analogue instrument by a dishonest examiner, you're really screwed.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:57pm
So, the computer creates a chart like the old analog machines, and stores that chart on the hard drive correct?  Then, the examiner "reads" the chart, correct?  Afterwhich, the examiner renders an opinion of whether the person is being deceptive or not depending on what he reads on the charts, correct?

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:14pm
nopolycop wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 3:57pm:
So, the computer creates a chart like the old analog machines, and stores that chart on the hard drive correct?  Then, the examiner "reads" the chart, correct?  Afterwhich, the examiner renders an opinion of whether the person is being deceptive or not depending on what he reads on the charts, correct?

Is this a real conversation here?!

"so, when the gas pump says sale $28.00, than is that the amount I pay the cashier, and who exactly is the cashier...and can I use 2 twenties to pay?"

"sure Billy, and yes, $28 means that that is what you owe the cashier...who will be the person standing behing the lexan shield near the dirty magazines...and yes, you can use 2 twenties, or even a twenty and a ten Billy."

"Gee, thanks"

My sarcasm aside, this exchange appears to be a flame baiting question with a punchline.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:34pm
So, the computer creates a chart like the old analog machines, and stores that chart on the hard drive correct?  Then, the examiner "reads" the chart, correct?  Afterwhich, the examiner renders an opinion of whether the person is being deceptive or not depending on what he reads on the charts, correct?

Yes. Your understanding is correct.
The chart is stored on the HDD. It is digitally date and time stamped.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:51pm
[quote author=EJohnson link=1193757470/0#3 date=1193760886My sarcasm aside, this exchange appears to be a flame baiting question with a punchline.

[/quote]

Mr. Johnson:

All I am doing is to get some honest answers to some sincere questions.  If  you don't want to join in with some constructive comment, then feel free to ignore.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:54pm
Quote:

Thanks.  With that understood, is there an industry standard which determines how much variability one can see in the polygrams before an opinion of deception is necessary?  I have read of examiners reading other examiners charts and coming to different conclusions/opinions.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 5:17pm
Quote:

FYI, everything on a computer is saved on the hard drive/disk, date and time stamped, and permenant.
And yes, we "read" the charts and an opinion is rendered. Since when does a poster who just yesterday spouted off a rant about the error rates of polygraph regarding FP's and FN's regress to ask the same questions my 6 year old asked me when he was 5? If you are leading up to an antipolygraph rant, than come on with it, I am breathless with anticipation. We really need to work on pacing here.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Donna.Taylor
User

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2007 at 8:59pm
nopolycop wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:54pm:
Quote:

Thanks.  With that understood, is there an industry standard which determines how much variability one can see in the polygrams before an opinion of deception is necessary?  I have read of examiners reading other examiners charts and coming to different conclusions/opinions.

This is ridiculous. nopoly4me just stated 'polygrams' only a term a polygraph examiner or someone with extensive research would use.   I agree with Johnson, nopoly4me just get to the point man.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 3:40am
Donna.Taylor wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 8:59pm:
nopolycop wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 4:54pm:
Quote:

Thanks.  With that understood, is there an industry standard which determines how much variability one can see in the polygrams before an opinion of deception is necessary?  I have read of examiners reading other examiners charts and coming to different conclusions/opinions.

This is ridiculous. nopoly4me just stated 'polygrams' only a term a polygraph examiner or someone with extensive research would use.   I agree with Johnson, nopoly4me just get to the point man.

No, not a polygraph examiner, nor someone who has done extensive research, although I am doing a bunch of reading on the whole topic.  No, I learned the word in the following thread:

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1193324401/20

Will you answer my question, Ms. Taylor?  No one else seems to want to answer the question for me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 4:02am
Donna.Taylor wrote on Oct 30th, 2007 at 8:59pm:
This is ridiculous. nopoly4me just stated 'polygrams' only a term a polygraph examiner or someone with extensive research would use.   I agree with Johnson, nopoly4me just get to the point man.

With all due respect, I would have thought your experience in calling me a liar about being a police officer and then being proven wrong would have cautioned you about continuing to post personal attacks rather than simply joining in the debate.

By the way, I have to wonder if any of the polygraph examiners who were so sure I was lying about being a cop ever took the time to ponder if perhaps their ability to detect truth or deception wasn't quite as good as they thought it was...

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 4:29am
Sarge:

Yesterday I was being accused of being a sex offender, today it's a polygrapher!    Huh

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Barry_C
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 2:08pm
Quote:
If a person "Passes" or "Fails" a polygraph exam, what does that actually mean?  Is the final conclusion that a person passed or failed rely upon anything verifiable, or is it simply the opinion of the examiner?  If the former, what verifiable aspects of the process are there?  If the latter, then what leads up to that opinion of the examiner, and can the examiner manipulate the raw data to give whatever result he or she wants to give?

Those were your original questions.  If you read TLBTLD, you'll find the answer you're looking for.  (Note those last few words.)

Donna didn't accuse you of being a polygraph examiner.  She accused you of researching more than you've stated.  The problem is, it appears, is that you're not paying close attention to what you've read.

Quote:
With all due respect, I would have thought your experience in calling me a liar about being a police officer and then being proven wrong would have cautioned you about continuing to post personal attacks rather than simply joining in the debate.

For the record, few believe Drew, so they don't believe they've been proven wrong.

Quote:
By the way, I have to wonder if any of the polygraph examiners who were so sure I was lying about being a cop ever took the time to ponder if perhaps their ability to detect truth or deception wasn't quite as good as they thought it was...

I seem to recall they used statement analysis (et al), something touted here by some as superior to polygraph.  Perhaps if they had used polygraph, then they would have the correct answer.  Do you want to volunteer for that one?

Before you answer, I'm kidding with you.

Take care.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 2:21pm
Mr. Barry C:

Sir, please understand that while TLBTLD has a ring of truth to it, I am not going to take that particular opinion piece as gospel, especially when I have an audience of actual polygraphers to bounce things off of.

I was kidding about being accused of being a polygrapher, thus the Smiley.   Roll Eyes

Will you answer my question?  (See below).

Thanks.  With that understood, is there an industry standard which determines how much variability one can see in the polygrams before an opinion of deception is necessary?  I have read of examiners reading other examiners charts and coming to different conclusions/opinions. 

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 2:30pm
nopolycop wrote on Oct 31st, 2007 at 2:21pm:

Is there an industry standard which determines how much variability one can see in the polygrams before an opinion of deception is necessary?  I have read of examiners reading other examiners charts and coming to different conclusions/opinions.

It happens frequently, no matter which neck of the woods one is in. Manual scoring has cutoffs (minimum score required) to determine whether a subject is NDI or DI.

For example, In a 3 pair Zone Exam; Ex 1 may score a total of -3 over 3 charts; and Ex 2 may score the same charts at -6. Whereas -3 is Incon & -6 is DI. They would probably call the subject DI.

When you read 'research' that says for example that 8/10 examiners were consistent in correctly identifying the DI subject, what they dont usually tell you is that the individual examiner scores might
have varied by 50% or more. 

Scientific ? Yeah. Very.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
What does it mean to "Pass" or "Fail" a polygraph exam?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X