Normal Topic Have some Questions (Read 2487 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anom
New User

Have some Questions
Oct 27th, 2007 at 1:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,

I read LBTLD and have some questions. 

1. For the countermeasure tongue bite....Is there a certain way to do it other then do it for 8-20 seconds? After a control question do you slowly bite down on your tongue increasing in pressure to cause moderate pain hold it there for a few seconds and then slowly release the pressure before the next question is asked? 

2. Naturally, blood pressure and nervousness should increase on the control questions because you know you are about to do a countermeasure like the tongue bite and even though the polygrapher may not notice, the fact that you are being watched should cause an increase in blood pressure and nervousness. Will that cause too much of an increase? However,  by doing a countermeasure on the stim test for the number picked this might actually convince the polygrapher that you really are a "screamer".

3.  Last time, after making small admissions on the pre test the polygrapher would then begin the question with "Besides what you have told me........." and then would select a few of those from the pre test and would ask that on the actual test. Are those control questions?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Have some Questions
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 6:05am
anom wrote on Oct 27th, 2007 at 1:28am:
1. For the countermeasure tongue bite....Is there a certain way to do it other then do it for 8-20 seconds? After a control question do you slowly bite down on your tongue increasing in pressure to cause moderate pain hold it there for a few seconds and then slowly release the pressure before the next question is asked?

The tongue-biting technique mentioned in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector was described in a research study. There may be viable alternate approaches (a possible example being to press the tongue against the sharp end of a toothpick broken off between the teeth), but we make no recommendation regarding such.

Quote:
2. Naturally, blood pressure and nervousness should increase on the control questions because you know you are about to do a countermeasure like the tongue bite and even though the polygrapher may not notice, the fact that you are being watched should cause an increase in blood pressure and nervousness. Will that cause too much of an increase? However,  by doing a countermeasure on the stim test for the number picked this might actually convince the polygrapher that you really are a "screamer".

It may well be possible to react too strongly to a control question. I understand there is a maxim among polygraphers that "if a reaction looks too good to be true, it probably is." That's a vague and amorphous criterion, however. The fact remains that no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to reliably detect the kinds of countermeasures described in TLBTLD. Anxiety associated with anticipation of performing countermeasures seems unlikely to produce "too much" of an increase.

Quote:
3.  Last time, after making small admissions on the pre test the polygrapher would then begin the question with "Besides what you have told me........." and then would select a few of those from the pre test and would ask that on the actual test. Are those control questions?

Not necessarily. Don't assume that because a question is prefaced with "Besides what you have told me..." that it is a control question. A relevant question could also be so prefaced, for example, "Besides what you told me, did you ever use an illegal drug?" To recognize control questions, one needs to understand the rationale for them (simplistic as it may be).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anom
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 4:00am
Thanks George!

In LBTLD it said if asked why a certain relevant questions is bothering you to act confused and then give a pre planned explanation. Is it more common to be asked what is bothering you about a relevant question opposed to a control question? If asked about what is bothering you about a control question that you used countermeasures on do you also just give a pre planned explanation like you would to a relevant?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 5:37am
During the post-test, it is more common for polygraphers to inquire what was bothering the examinee about relevant questions. After all, the relevant questions are those of greatest concern.

If, however, upon the conclusion of the polygraph examination, the polygrapher were to express interest in knowing why one reacted so strongly to a control/comparison question, it wouldn't hurt to have a personally embarrassing but innocuous explanation to offer, for example, "When you asked whether I had ever lied to a loved one before, I suddenly remembered..."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Have some Questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X