Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Outing the Trolls: The Polygraph Peanut Gallery (A Cast of Characters Starring Eric S. Johnson, Raymond Nelson, Donna Taylor, Ted Todd, and Louis Irving Rovner) (Read 59831 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nopolycop
Especially Senior User

Re: Outing the Trolls: The Polygraph Peanut Gallery (A Cast of Characters Starring Eric S. Johnson, Raymond Nelson, Donna Taylor, Ted Todd, and Louis Irving Rovner)
Reply #30 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
EJohnson wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 2:33pm:
nopolycop wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 1:40am:
EJohnson wrote on Oct 23rd, 2007 at 10:19pm:
. No intelectual discussion on the study----

Mr. Johnson:

Please feel free to join my attempt at actually having an intellectual discussion on Mr. Hont's study.

Ah shucks, come on nopoly4me, please call me Eric!---not that "Mr. Johnson" formal stuff! And may I ask what your name is and where you reside?

You certainly may ask, and I respectfully decline to answer, which the last time I checked, was within the rules for using this discussion board.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EJohnson
Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Re: Outing the Trolls: The Polygraph Peanut Gallery (A Cast of Characters Starring Eric S. Johnson, Raymond Nelson, Donna Taylor, Ted Todd, and Louis Irving Rovner)
Reply #31 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 6:00pm
nopolycop wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 4:26pm:
Mr. Johnson:

I will give an example of why I feel it prudent to keep my identity a secret.  Just a moment ago, I googled your name Eric S. Johnson polygraph.  I found 4 listings for an Eric S. Johnson with a connection to polygraphy.  The first two linked to this website and the fact that  you were outed for being a troll.  (Not good for reputation, I would submit).  The third showed you were a member in good standing of the Indiana Polygraph Association, and the fourth hit produced the following:

----------------------------------------------

"The Effects of Room Color on Polygraph Testing"
Emily Antonides and Eric S. Johnson
Augustana College, Dr. Donald Shaw. 
Polygraph tests are not administered in court because of their unreliability. Often the stress of being implicated in a crime is enough to throw off the results. To test this theory we changed the environment in which the test is administered. We hypothesize that by altering the environment, by means of changing the room color to red, the heart rate will be increased and the GSR (galvanic skin response) will be decreased.

----------------------------------
Assuming that this link was actually referring to you, (please set the record straight if this assumption is incorrect) an individual might make the claim that in 2004, you yourself said that "polygraphs were unreliable."  Additionally, one might make the claim that in 2004, you yourself stated that the mere "stress of being implicated in a crime is enough to throw off the results."

Please understand that I personally would not make these claims, because I do not have confirmed information that you are the Eric S. Johnson who apparently was a presenter at the 2004 John Deere Chapter of Sigma XI, and made these statements, and these internet statements are in fact contributed to  your work product.

So, Mr. Johnson, now you have an example of why I respectfully decline to reveal my identity.  Unsubstantiated internet information could result in reputational harm, which concerns me.

ah yes, the ole John Deere Lecture. I also demostrated alongside Emily how to artificailly insiminate a cow----ok, wrong Eric Johnson. By the way, there are thousands of us EJ's and I did not give such a lecture. Incidentally, I wasn't actually attempting to get your identity-----google "sarcasm."  Also, I no longer run polygraph testing and haven't done so since September '07. I am retired from polygraph and a stay at home Dad and a student as my wife returns to work after being the stay at home for over 5 years. So, if anyone tries to argue that I am turf protective, forget it. 

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #32 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 6:37pm
I didn't give nor contribute to that or any similar lecture. I am not the only Eric Johnson polygraph examiner. There are a number of Eric S Johnsons---noticeably criminal defense attornies. There are even 2 other ESJ's as renters at my local Blockbuster Video store.

All men are mortal. Socrates was mortal. Therefore, &&all men are Socrates.-----Woody Allen  &&

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #33 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 7:00pm
EJohnson wrote on Oct 24th, 2007 at 6:37pm:
I didn't give nor contribute to that or any similar lecture. I am not the only Eric Johnson polygraph examiner. There are a number of Eric S Johnsons---noticeably criminal defense attornies. There are even 2 other ESJ's as renters at my local Blockbuster Video store.

Thanks for the clarification.  I will delete my post.

"Although the degree of reliability of polygraph evidence may depend upon a variety of identifiable factors, there is simply no way to know in a particular case whether a polygraph examiner's Conclusion is accurate, because certain doubts and uncertainties plague even the best polygraph exams."  (Justice Clarence Thomas writing in United States v. Scheffer, 523 U.S. 303, 118 S.Ct. 1261, 140 L.Ed.2d 413, 1998.)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #34 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 7:48pm
Of particular interest here is Dennis Prager's article about the destructive effects of internet anonymity:

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/DennisPrager/2007/10/23/internet_anonymity_is...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box raymond.nelson
User

If you win the rat race,
you're still a rat.

Reply #35 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 8:11pm
Thank you Mr. Mallah.

Its a good commentary.

r

IP Logged

Limited (No Attachments)

Internet Countermeasures
Yields Failed Tests

Reply #36 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 8:12pm
Interesting read---although I disagree with the author's complete dismissal of people being liberated as anonymous posters. I do however question the precise reason for  Mark's link. Are you suggesting that everyone be outed? Are you suggesting that perhaps George should have merely banned myself and others rather than being "outed"----keep in mind that as Palerider, I was far more satirical and sardonic than as my later Paradiddle writings---as when I was banned as Palerider, I corrected a great deal of my attitudes as I did not want to be banned further. Unfortunately, I was banned for an innocent thread poll on whether any posters experienced computer problems---my theory was that no such problems existed. I was banned within 10 minutes of writing that very innocent thread, and I defy George and co. to repost it so others can judge for themselves. 

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2007 at 9:06pm by EJohnson »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #37 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 8:56pm
I agree in principle with the read too, which is why I have been overly polite and cautious in all my postings.  What is lost though, is the concept that anyone could simply choose a name out of the phone book, or even worse, do a google search  for "polygraph" and choose a name to operate under here.  This would be unfortunate.

And, given the nature of several people's posts when revealing their polygraph experience, I can understand the rationale for staying anonymous.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #38 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 11:02pm
I think that there are good reasons for being anonymous under certain circumstances. 

The point of linking to the article is to highlight the need to curb certain natural human tendencies toward rudeness and obnoxiousness when posting anonymously.

And frankly, I really don't understand why the professional polygraphers felt the need to post anonymously.  Are they professionals or not?  If so, why not make their assertions and stand behind those assertions by name?  Their names are already out there in the polygraph community.  They don't need to hide the fact that they are polygraph examiners who firmly believe in the test and believe that the test is supported by solid scientific research and their own experience, right?    

I can't think of any reason for their anonymity other than the fact that they would be embarrassed, ashamed, or somehow uncomfortable to associate themselves with what they have written.   

From my limited scan of these posts, it seems like the level of discourse has improved dramatically since they have ceased posting anonymously, which is some evidence of the truth of what Dennis Prager wrote about in that article.  On a related note, thank you to Ray Nelson for reading the article and commenting favorably on it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box raymond.nelson
User

If you win the rat race,
you're still a rat.

Reply #39 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 1:21am
It has been interesting.

I don't think anyone can deny the tension that exists between polygraph professionals and people who have been subject to them.

Whether things change or not, there is tremendous value in studying human behavior and the complex/obvious/predictable/surprising things that occur when we decide the think and act in some form of concerted community.

I think it was the famed psychoanalyst Karen Horney (thats "horn-"I" like eye - so cleanse your minds folks) who talked about people in movement - towards, against, away, or with each other.

There is obviously much to learn yet.

Thanks again Mr. Mallah, for providing that.

r

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: In Defense of Polygraph Examiners...
Reply #40 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 9:19am
Quote:
The polygraph "professionals" recently exposed for the "anonymous" fusillade of personal insults and attempts at fear mongering here on this forum have apparently retreated to the safety of a pro-polygraph message board. 

Instead of addressing the challenge I posed to them--namely that they use polygraphy to determine who betrayed their identity to us and to publicly identify this person--they have chosen to unleash a new barrage of personal attacks

Gino,

The thread you linked to, which was started by Lou Rovner and includes contributions from Raymond Nelson, Eric Johnson (whom I understand posts as "stat" at PolygraphPlace.com) and Donna Taylor, has been deleted from PolygraphPlace.com. However, a copy was saved, and I've attached a PDF file of the deleted thread.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Outing the Trolls: The Polygraph Peanut Gallery (A Cast of Characters Starring Eric S. Johnson, Raymond Nelson, Donna Taylor, Ted Todd, and Louis Irving Rovner)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X