Normal Topic Police polygraph employment questions? (Read 5655 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box R22R134A
New User

Police polygraph employment questions?
Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:36am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If the test ask if you've ever taken anything from any of your employers( which I did once back in 99' when I was a dumb teenager) Should I tell the truth or try to lie about?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Police polygraph employment questions?
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 6:06am
R22R134A wrote on Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:36am:
If the test ask if you've ever taken anything from any of your employers( which I did once back in 99' when I was a dumb teenager) Should I tell the truth or try to lie about?

Any question about petty theft from a past employer is a "probable-lie control question." Despite the polygarpher's insistence that all questions must be answered truthfully, and that the examinee should divulge all because the slightest doubt will show up on the charts, it is secretly expected that everyone will answer the probable-lie control questions deceptively, or at least have considerable doubt regarding whether one has been completely truthful. Thus, if asked whether you've ever taken anything from an employer, the appropriate (and expected) answer is "no."

See Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more on polygraph procedure.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 6:34am
I would have to (respectfully) disagree.   

If you stole something from an employer, first of all, that information should be offered during your background investigation.  It should also come up during the pretest interview for the polygraph.  You should not lie about it.  Explain what happened and when it happened.  Depending on what was stolen, I cannot imagine that a single theft from eight years ago would cause much of a problem, especially if you were a minor at the time.

During the polygraph you will be asked a variation of the original question, such as, "Other than what you have already described, have you ever stolen from an employer?"  Your answer to that question should be, "no."

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 6:42am
It should be noted that my reply to R22R134A is based on the assumption that the question about taking anything from past employers concerns petty theft. There is nothing unethical about withholding information relevant to this probable-lie "control" question (in fulfillment of examiner expectations). Making unnecessary admissions to such a "control" question may make a false positive outcome more likely to the extent that it results in the examinee feeling less anxiety when answering.

On the other hand, a question about major theft from an employer (for example, did you ever take anything worth more than $400 from a previous employer) is not a probable-lie control question, but rather a relevant question, and I believe that applicants for positions of public trust have an ethical obligation to answer such questions truthfully.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #4 - Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:03pm
George, maybe you should ask Drew your poly expert on this one.  Although I have given enough grief to Sarge, he is right on with this one.  Admit the theft otherwise you will have probs on the poly.  Teenagers do 'dumb' things and most can be overlooked.  Honesty and integrity are what Chiefs are looking for in applicants.   One Chief I work with recently told me if someone intentionally screws with the Poly it is the same as screwing with the psych.  They won't waste more time on a dishonest applicant.  So, R22R134A, tell the BI and poly examiner about the theft.   

BTW I am so impressed with Sarges post!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 8:23am
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 20th, 2007 at 5:03pm:
BTW I am so impressed with Sarges post!

With all due respect, it seems rather insincere when you are only civil to people if you agree with them.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2007 at 8:47am by Sergeant1107 »  

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box R22R134A
New User

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2007 at 8:37am
Thank You everyone for your response, I will be telling the truth on the poly instead of trying to beat it with dishonesty.

IP Logged

Police polygraph employment questions?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X