Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Disappointed (Read 12687 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box majikninja
New User

Disappointed
Oct 7th, 2007 at 8:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently applied for a Police Department, and I feel that I got a screw job from the Polygraphist. When I talked to me friends that had gone through the Polygraph and talked to my teachers in my criminal justice classes they all told me that I got the Polygraphist from Hell. Okay so here’s what happened. 

I showed up and Hour early for the test only to be told that the Detective that is going to do my Polygraph test is going to be a half and hour late, I was like that’s not a big deal I understand that they get busy. When the Detective finally shows up he takes me back to a closed room and has me read and sign consent paper advising me of my rights, that I could walk out during the middle of my test if I so choose. I was there to tell the truth everything that they asked I answered in full and held nothing back no matter how embarrassing it was. 

The test seem to go immediately down hill from the start. The Detective starts telling me that he had no reason to fail me that day, that I need to be honest so I would not be like the guy that I saw walk out of the office before me who failed. When he said that a red flag went up because I thought they weren’t allowed to talk about others peoples results to another person, or at least not to a member of the public or another applicant. 

It seems like the Detective try’s to get me to calm down because I was a little nervous, only to then turn around and start using scare tactics to make me want to tell the truth. The Detective starts telling me that the Department has a 15% pass rate and an 85% fail rate when it comes to the polygraph. He then goes on to tell me that if I am not honest and I fail the test that I might was well look for a different career field and change my college major because no Police Department in the Country will want me including Federal Agencies. Right then I start getting even more nervous because now I’m like all the hard work I have put into school will go right down the drain if I fail. 

So we went through the packet of 250 questions so he could edit me a test just for me which came out to be about 7 questions. He gave me a break and I came back and he strapped me into the Polygraph machine, only to state again that if I fail this test that my career in Law Enforcement would be over before it would even start. We started the test and go through it the first time, he tells me that I’m moving too much. It was kind of hard to stay still the first time because the arms of the chair was so low that I couldn’t really balance my self and stay completely still. He immediately tells me it looks like I’m being deceptive, he asks me if I can tell him what I’m holding back and I tell him nothing. 

We start it again and this time he asks me to close my eyes and try to stay still, the blood pressure piece on my arm was so tight that I started to have spasms in my fingers and my arm felt like it was going to pop. Again he accused me of being deceptive, I was like I’m telling you everything I have nothing to hide, you told me if I wanted this job I had to tell you everything to prove that I have integrity. I admitted to stupid stuff I did when I was younger including minor use of marijuana. So he said okay we are going to run the test one last time, I was like okay go for it I’m hiding nothing. 

We went through it and again at the end he told me I was being deceptive. When we finished the test he told me that it looks like I’m being deceptive and that he would have to look at it some more. He told me that I was being deceptive on  “have you used narcotics within the past year?”, I told him no that I had been clean for almost 3 years. I was like if that’s the only part that looks deceptive then how can I pass the parts “have you ever lied to a person of law authority?” and have I been 100% honest with him that day. 

While I was leaving he told me that if I thought of anything on why I was setting the system off to email him and tell him. Then he also wanted to try and be buddy, buddy and talk to me about my Uncle that had worked in the Department. I left and felt like I had been labeled a liar for telling the complete and honest truth, I asked my friend how his test went and he said he was never told that if he failed his career would be over before it started. So anyway I finally get a letter in the mail today to tell me that I am not up to the Departments standards and that I can never apply for the Department again. I feel like I got screwed for telling the truth, and that I got the Polygraphist from hell who made me more nervous then when I had first gotten there.

Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wonder_Woman
Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Re: Disappointed
Reply #1 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 1:45am
Did you have a question on your post?  I find it ironic that you come to an anti site to vent right after you received your letter.   Did you come here before your exam?  Did you attempt CM's?

BTW what does 'clean for almost 3 years' mean?  Almost doesn't state 3 years. Is there a 3 year cut off for drug use?  Also, what have you been 'clean' from?  Maybe your past drug usage (type and amount) is what disqualified you.

If not, I would write a polite letter to the Cheif of Police and explain what happened in your polygraph.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 1:23pm
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 1:45am:
Did you have a question on your post?  I find it ironic that you come to an anti site to vent right after you received your letter.

He should have gone where...instead  ? confessional?

Quote:

Did you come here before your exam?  Did you attempt CM's?

Try reading the post again.

Quote:

BTW what does 'clean for almost 3 years' mean?  Almost doesn't state 3 years. Is there a 3 year cut off for drug use?  Also, what have you been 'clean' from?  Maybe your past drug usage (type and amount) is what disqualified you.

Gee you're tough SW. I think he meant ,,,wait for it....."almost 3 years"

Quote:

If not, I would write a polite letter to the Cheif of Police and explain what happened in your polygraph.  

Yeah. Dear Cheif, How're Ya doin Bucko. SW sedns her reegardz. BTW, yr dumbass examiner
wuz doinnge the old Fred Astaire routine. Yeah, that same-old-same-old stupid BS. 

IP Logged

Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:17pm
1904 thanks as always for your sarcastic responses. Kiss
Majikninja may very well have come to this web site before his polygraph and attempted CM’s before coming back and complaining about his polygraph.  (Do you believe everything you read?)  If this isn’t true, then he should report the examiner.

1904 if you really are/were a polygraph examiner you would know that if an agency has a 3 year cut off for drug use they must not use any drugs for 3 years.  When an applicant says ‘he has been clean for almost 3 years’ it is more like 2 or 2 ½ years (or just once at last New Year’s Eve party but it was only one hit) which is a disqualifier.  Also, it is very rare that marijuana user’s states ‘clean’.  So there may have been more heavy duty drugs that disqualified him.  But hey, let’s blame the polygraph for the dumb ass acts he did before he decided to go into LE.  Huh

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:37pm
Wonder_Woman wrote on Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:17pm:

1904 thanks as always for your sarcastic responses. Kiss

Always a pleasure Madam.

Quote:

Majikninja may very well have come to this web site before his polygraph and attempted CM’s before coming back and complaining about his polygraph.  (Do you believe everything you read?)

No. F'rinstance, I dont give any credibility to 99,999% of the twaddle you sprout

Quote:

If this isn’t true, then he should report the examiner.

And that would prove / achieve exactly what??? A noddy badge for the deluded examiner ?

Quote:

1904 if you really are/were a polygraph examiner

..Was. But not in Bucko-land.  Hence I am not au-fait with Buckoland's LE p/g policies. but that don't mean I cant smell a cow pat from 100 paces.

Quote:

But hey, let’s blame the polygraph for the dumb ass acts he did before he decided to go into LE.  Huh

Nah. Let's just blame the dumbass pg examiner.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 3:40pm
Hey T,
You remind me of that quite funny old bear joke....with the excellent punchline:

"Lets face it. you're not coming here for the hunting, are you?"

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2007 at 7:35pm
* only used marijuana 3 times about 2 and 3/4 years ago, thats what I mean by 3 years. (No other drugs ever) And drug cut off was 12 months for the department.
* I never researched about a polygraph before, so I assumed that I would have no problem from taking the test since I was there to tell the truth no matter how embarassing, so i could get the job. 
* I wrote on this bored because I wanted to just see if what I went through my test was normal for everyone else or if anyone else went through it. 
* I have had no criminal history or any situations dealing with Law Enforcement except for working security.

And by the way what is CM'S? I am confused on that. I tried nothing except sitting down in the chair and telling the truth, I really wanted the job, so if I was told that if I lie I dont get anything and lose everything why would I lie. 

IP Logged

Senior User

The magic lasso of truth

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 12:51am
MN thats funny - on an anit site and saying 'whats a cm'?

BTW, 1904, do you hunt bear?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 1:41am
majikninja wrote on Oct 7th, 2007 at 8:26pm:
I recently applied for a Police Department, and I feel that I got a screw job from the Polygraphist. When I talked to me friends that had gone through the Polygraph and talked to my teachers in my criminal justice classes they all told me that I got the Polygraphist from Hell. Okay so here’s what happened. 

I showed up and Hour early for the test only to be told that the Detective that is going to do my Polygraph test is going to be a half and hour late, I was like that’s not a big deal I understand that they get busy. When the Detective finally shows up he takes me back to a closed room and has me read and sign consent paper advising me of my rights, that I could walk out during the middle of my test if I so choose. I was there to tell the truth everything that they asked I answered in full and held nothing back no matter how embarrassing it was. 

The test seem to go immediately down hill from the start. The Detective starts telling me that he had no reason to fail me that day, that I need to be honest so I would not be like the guy that I saw walk out of the office before me who failed. When he said that a red flag went up because I thought they weren’t allowed to talk about others peoples results to another person, or at least not to a member of the public or another applicant. 

It seems like the Detective try’s to get me to calm down because I was a little nervous, only to then turn around and start using scare tactics to make me want to tell the truth. The Detective starts telling me that the Department has a 15% pass rate and an 85% fail rate when it comes to the polygraph. He then goes on to tell me that if I am not honest and I fail the test that I might was well look for a different career field and change my college major because no Police Department in the Country will want me including Federal Agencies. Right then I start getting even more nervous because now I’m like all the hard work I have put into school will go right down the drain if I fail. 

So we went through the packet of 250 questions so he could edit me a test just for me which came out to be about 7 questions. He gave me a break and I came back and he strapped me into the Polygraph machine, only to state again that if I fail this test that my career in Law Enforcement would be over before it would even start. We started the test and go through it the first time, he tells me that I’m moving too much. It was kind of hard to stay still the first time because the arms of the chair was so low that I couldn’t really balance my self and stay completely still. He immediately tells me it looks like I’m being deceptive, he asks me if I can tell him what I’m holding back and I tell him nothing. 

We start it again and this time he asks me to close my eyes and try to stay still, the blood pressure piece on my arm was so tight that I started to have spasms in my fingers and my arm felt like it was going to pop. Again he accused me of being deceptive, I was like I’m telling you everything I have nothing to hide, you told me if I wanted this job I had to tell you everything to prove that I have integrity. I admitted to stupid stuff I did when I was younger including minor use of marijuana. So he said okay we are going to run the test one last time, I was like okay go for it I’m hiding nothing. 

We went through it and again at the end he told me I was being deceptive. When we finished the test he told me that it looks like I’m being deceptive and that he would have to look at it some more. He told me that I was being deceptive on  “have you used narcotics within the past year?”, I told him no that I had been clean for almost 3 years. I was like if that’s the only part that looks deceptive then how can I pass the parts “have you ever lied to a person of law authority?” and have I been 100% honest with him that day. 

While I was leaving he told me that if I thought of anything on why I was setting the system off to email him and tell him. Then he also wanted to try and be buddy, buddy and talk to me about my Uncle that had worked in the Department. I left and felt like I had been labeled a liar for telling the complete and honest truth, I asked my friend how his test went and he said he was never told that if he failed his career would be over before it started. So anyway I finally get a letter in the mail today to tell me that I am not up to the Departments standards and that I can never apply for the Department again. I feel like I got screwed for telling the truth, and that I got the Polygraphist from hell who made me more nervous then when I had first gotten there.

Angry

Sounds like that dumbass p/g examiner tryed to use a bunch of scare tactics on you not to mention he sounds like an asshole and he shouldn't have been telling you info on another applicant.. Sorry to hear you didnt get hired. I suggest you read up on their bs tactics and try again. Don't give up majikninja, I didn't. It took me 2 1/2 years and 4 poly's later before I was hired with a dept. I, like you told the complete truth, was nervous as hell, and was still branded a liar. It wasn't until I came to understand how the machine works and learn the real truth behind the polygraph that I was able to pass. Reguardless of what the other p/g exminers say on these threads, Truthful/ Honest people get branded as liars and thus get knocked out of the LE process. Keep your head up and try again. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

rice

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Paradiddle
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:08am
rice80 wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 1:41am:

We went through it and again at the end he told me I was being deceptive. When we finished the test he told me that it looks like I’m being deceptive and that he would have to look at it some more. He told me that I was being deceptive on  “have you used narcotics within the past year?”, I told him no that I had been clean for almost 3 years. I was like if that’s the only part that looks deceptive then how can I pass the parts “have you ever lied to a person of law authority?” and have I been 100% honest with him that day. 

Angry

Sounds like that dumbass p/g examiner tryed to use a bunch of scare tactics on you not to mention he sounds like an asshole and he shouldn't have been telling you info on another applicant.. Sorry to hear you didnt get hired. I suggest you read up on their bs tactics and try again. Don't give up majikninja, I didn't. It took me 2 1/2 years and 4 poly's later before I was hired with a dept. I, like you told the complete truth, was nervous as hell, and was still branded a liar. It wasn't until I came to understand how the machine works and learn the real truth behind the polygraph that I was able to pass. Reguardless of what the other p/g exminers say on these threads, Truthful/ Honest people get branded as liars and thus get knocked out of the LE process. Keep your head up and try again. Knowledge is a wonderful thing.

rice

Rice, your buddy here was rejected for smoking weed 2 and 3/4 (have you ever heard anything so silly?) years ago. You can't get a job as a bank teller with that kind of track record. C'mon, you really think this guy can be trusted to seize large quantities of "kind buds" and not partake. Stress is a trigger for substance use, and cop jobs and cop pay, and cop hours are very stressful and provide powerful triggers for recovering "former" users. GMAF'n Break! This guy had the stink of DQ all over him----cop shops don't like recovering stoners. $20 says poly had no or very little role in his DQ.

2 cents

Cheats and the Cheating Cheaters who try to Cheat us.

IP Logged

User

Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:14am
Paradiddle wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:08am:
rice80 wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 1:41am:

Angry

rice

Rice, your buddy here was rejected for smoking weed 2 and 3/4 (have you ever heard anything so silly?) years ago. You can't get a job as a bank teller with that kind of track record. C'mon, you really think this guy can be trusted to seize large quantities of "kind buds" and not partake. Stress is a trigger for substance use, and cop jobs and cop pay, and cop hours are very stressful and provide powerful triggers for recovering "former" users. GMAF'n Break! This guy had the stink of DQ all over him----cop shops don't like recovering stoners. 

Paradiddle,

He was a college kid, tell me who doesn't smoke weed or try it in college? I don't know maybe I'm giving this kid too much of a break. Paradiddle your right, LE doesn't like cronic pot users and this is a stressful job indeed, but a background check with his previous employers should help to clear up his employment habits and history. I still think he got a raw deal on his poly simply because he didn't know the process or what to expect.

rice

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:16am
I dont think that me smoking 3 joints within a 1 month time span 2 and 3/4 years ago is a cronic use.

IP Logged

User

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:18am
Paradiddle,

I also experimented with weed many years ago before becoming a cop. I have since made large busts in my career envolving different kinds of Scedule I and II drugs with out ever coming to my mind that I may want to partake in any of the substances.  Banks also wont hired you if you have jacked up credit either, but this isn't a site for banks. 

rice

IP Logged

User

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:23am
majikninja wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:16am:
I dont think that me smoking 3 joints within a 1 month time span 2 and 3/4 years ago is a cronic use.

Well you did the right thing. Educate your self and then go back and take it again with a defferent dept.  Don't be so nervous. Poly's are mostly an interragation tool. A confessional so to speak. 

rice

IP Logged

User

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:25am
majikninja wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 3:16am:

your right that is not consider cronic use.

IP Logged

Disappointed

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X