Normal Topic Big Question (Read 4979 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dakath
New User

Big Question
Sep 28th, 2007 at 9:27am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am thinking of doing the application process for the police department, and I had a few questions about somethings that may disqualify me. I also listed my positive life achievements. I wanted to get some expert advice to see if I have a chance at making it into the academy.

1. I used Marijuana off and on to cope with some personal problems I was having after I left the Military for a year but have since quit a few months ago and have no urge to go back to it...i am getting too old for that stuff. And am quite frankly ashamed of myself for being weak minded and using it even though i knew it was wrong and illegal. I have since had help in dealing with those issues and  feel prepared to start again fresh.

2. My credit is bad but not appalling. I have had some financial trouble in the last couple of years based on the fact that after i left the air force i had a hard time adjusting financially. Just a few bounced checks that got paid for and some random small collections (Many are a few years old and ready to fall off of my credit anyway). If i needed to i could make payments on all of the collections to show i am taking care of it.

3. I have also have a spotty employment record. This is really due to the fact that I had an exceptionally hard time adjusting to civilian life after the fact, and holding a civilian job was difficult due to the fact that the air force was my first job and i really had no civilian job skills.

Now that I listed all of my screw ups...here are some of the things I have done right.

1. I served 2 years in the military during a time of war (Afghanistan/Iraq) and got good reviews along with an under honorable conditions discharge. I also received a good conduct and national defense service medal.

2. I have a clean criminal and driving record.

3. I have some college behind me.

4. Even though I had some difficulties in the civilian work world I did get good recommendations from previous employers.

5, I speak conversational spanish

I have read a lot of the posts on this website and have come to the consensus that lying on the written or verbal exam is a big no no. I want to be honest and give the reviewers a no BS picture of who I am. I was thinking of omitting the marijuana stuff because I no longer use or have the urge to. it is no longer in my urine or blood (I tested myself). And i only used sparingly for a short time due to some distress happening in my life. I also never used before the military or failed any drug tests in the past. Many departments want 5 years off pot and i am already 23 almost 24. I don't have 5 years to wait. I read on another post that lying isn't the way to get in. However I really think I  would make a good police officer I would be the 3rd generation in my family to do so and I really think it is my calling. Honestly my motivation to be an officer is to divert people from the path I saw myself going down. I have 1 question here. My decision on whether or not I will withhold the Marijuana stuff is relying on the answers you all hopefully provide.

1. Do law enforcement agencies do hair, blood, or urine tests primarily?

I really want to be totally honest but i think telling the interviewers about my small usage with pot is something that unless they can find it in a test I really don't even want to talk about it an move on with my life. I really need some good advice here and any help you can provide me would be appreciated.

Please comment on this topic and tell me what you think
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2007 at 6:43pm by dakath »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ludovico
Senior User

I was cured all right.

Re: Big Question
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2007 at 6:15pm
Quote:
Many departments want 5 years off pot and i am already 23 almost 24. I don't have 5 years to wait.

Look on the bright side. Most rehab programs are 28 days. That's almost a whole month, so you really have only 59 months to go before you can apply honestly.

Welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising visit?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 4:23am
dakath wrote on Sep 28th, 2007 at 9:27am:
I am thinking of doing the application process for the police department, and I had a few questions about somethings that may disqualify me. I also listed my positive life achievements. I wanted to get some expert advice to see if I have a chance at making it into the academy.

1. I used Marijuana off and on to cope with some personal problems I was having after I left the Military for a year but have since quit a few months ago and have no urge to go back to it...i am getting too old for that stuff. And am quite frankly ashamed of myself for being weak minded and using it even though i knew it was wrong and illegal. I have since had help in dealing with those issues and  feel prepared to start again fresh.

2. My credit is bad but not appalling. I have had some financial trouble in the last couple of years based on the fact that after i left the air force i had a hard time adjusting financially. Just a few bounced checks that got paid for and some random small collections (Many are a few years old and ready to fall off of my credit anyway). If i needed to i could make payments on all of the collections to show i am taking care of it.

3. I have also have a spotty employment record. This is really due to the fact that I had an exceptionally hard time adjusting to civilian life after the fact, and holding a civilian job was difficult due to the fact that the air force was my first job and i really had no civilian job skills.

Now that I listed all of my screw ups...here are some of the things I have done right.

1. I served 2 years in the military during a time of war (Afghanistan/Iraq) and got good reviews along with an under honorable conditions discharge. I also received a good conduct and national defense service medal.

2. I have a clean criminal and driving record.

3. I have some college behind me.

4. Even though I had some difficulties in the civilian work world I did get good recommendations from previous employers.

5, I speak conversational spanish

I have read a lot of the posts on this website and have come to the consensus that lying on the written or verbal exam is a big no no. I want to be honest and give the reviewers a no BS picture of who I am. I was thinking of omitting the marijuana stuff because I no longer use or have the urge to. it is no longer in my urine or blood (I tested myself). And i only used sparingly for a short time due to some distress happening in my life. I also never used before the military or failed any drug tests in the past. Many departments want 5 years off pot and i am already 23 almost 24. I don't have 5 years to wait. I read on another post that lying isn't the way to get in. However I really think I  would make a good police officer I would be the 3rd generation in my family to do so and I really think it is my calling. Honestly my motivation to be an officer is to divert people from the path I saw myself going down. I have 1 question here. My decision on whether or not I will withhold the Marijuana stuff is relying on the answers you all hopefully provide.

1. Do law enforcement agencies do hair, blood, or urine tests primarily?

I really want to be totally honest but i think telling the interviewers about my small usage with pot is something that unless they can find it in a test I really don't even want to talk about it an move on with my life. I really need some good advice here and any help you can provide me would be appreciated.

Please comment on this topic and tell me what you think

Well, being a cop/investigator Lets start with the weed thing, depending on the amount of time you have used it will determine you ability to be hired. Most dept. have a cut off on use/trying weed. Even if you only use it say 5 times, you are still going to have to wait a few years before any dept will even consider you. most dept. want a 3yr-5yr clean drug history and most narcotics/exotic drugs are an automatic disqualifier no matter how long ago you used them. 

the credit thing can also be an issue. if you have jacked up credit, dept. tend not to hire you because you are not stable money wise. but the credit thing can be repaired in a short amount of time. 

the employment history is also a big factor. If you have a history of jumping from job to job with out staying anywhere too long, doesn't look good for the potential applicant. 

now the things that make you shine are that you are prior military, most dept. like to hire prior military, you have some college, thats always a plus and you also have a second lanuage, spanish, which is becoming a requirement nowadays due the raise in the hispanic population.
the fact that you have no criminal/driving history is a good thing too. but you may be looking a t a few years before potenially getting hired by any LE dept. Best of luck!

rice

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tbld
New User

"Homo praesumitur bonus
donec probetur malus"

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 5:11am
i have to disagree with you ther every department has its own hiring standards some more strict tahn others as it goes for weed depends..as it goes for ''harder'' drugs usually no more than 2 or 3...

FBI standards 15 times for marijuana 
3 times for harder drugs

trust me if the FBI has these standards you can get in ..Previous posts are right though most departments want 3 or 5 years of no drug useage...By that time your credit blemishes should be off.... get a job and stick with it they dont like spotty job records (jumping around place to place) 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rice80
User

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2007 at 9:42pm
tbld wrote on Oct 9th, 2007 at 5:11am:
i have to disagree with you ther every department has its own hiring standards some more strict tahn others as it goes for weed depends..as it goes for ''harder'' drugs usually no more than 2 or 3...

FBI standards 15 times for marijuana 
3 times for harder drugs

trust me if the FBI has these standards you can get in ..Previous posts are right though most departments want 3 or 5 years of no drug useage...By that time your credit blemishes should be off.... get a job and stick with it they dont like spotty job records (jumping around place to place) 

True every dept. does have different hiring stardards. I was just going by the departments that surrond where I work and they don't allow any drug expermentation other then Marijuana. but good point T.

rice

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fly_boy
New User

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2007 at 6:03pm
Hey, he could always go into a dept. that does not poligraph.  However, if you choose this route, and lie about your drug usage or any other thing, you will be stuck with non poligraphing dept's. more or less.  Also, if your BI comes up with inconsistancies in your lack of drug use, that could do you in for a long time to come as well, even without a Poligraph.  I'd say wait a few years, get some law enforcement college behind you if you can, and then go into whatever you want.  However, keep in mind, that still does not mean you would still pass a poligraph.  Huh

IP Logged

Big Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X