Normal Topic Tongue Bitting (Read 4556 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box user1982
New User

Tongue Bitting
Aug 20th, 2007 at 9:34pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
How hard to you have to bite on your tongue?  I had practiced on a home blood presure machine with a cuff that inflates to the point it hurts my arm.  I tried it several times.  The second time I bit down on my tongue and saw no change.  (bit the entire time the cuff was inflating until it stopped and continued on until it the reading was done).  The third time I bit down real hard and it went to 149 from 147 on the original reading without the biting.  This may not be the correct settings to test this out because the machine only gives you one reading per cuff inflation.

On another note.  What if on some relevent questions you feel a little anxiety right when the question is being asked, then I feel my nerves calm quite quickly and then feel nothing after I answer the question.  Can this be normal?  I have been practicing and feel a bit anxiety on one of the drug question even though I have never done any.  I did however have an old friend I found out recently that over dosed.  (I think I'm more pissed at him than actualy feeling sorry for him.)  Is this a recipe for failure and do I need to work on anxiety while the question is being asked, or not worry cause I calm down right away?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lloyd Ploense
Ex Member

Re: Tongue Bitting
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 1:26pm
Don’t bite your tongue.  Use it wisely.

Polygraph testing has no scientific basis.  While it is true that scientific instruments are used to record stress, in polygraph testing these instruments serve as the props of a con.  The stress measured does not correlate to truth or deception with any level of determinism.  You will be told it does verbally but that is just a ruse.

Q) Then why use countermeasures if you are honest and innocent?   
A) Simply because the polygraph prop con is used to plant false 'evidence'.  This false 'evidence' is then used as a platform for an intense interrogation.

Perhaps playing poker frequently with a bunch of con artists and crooks could help innocent people pass a polygraph.

Let them know before and after you take the test that you are not falling for their con.  When I was polygraph examined I was completely inexperienced and actually believed the test would be accurate and assist in the investigation of a crime my wife and I were the victims of.  They told me the measured stress meant I was lying.  I responded that they could not construe why I experienced stress.  They asked me how I reached that conclusion.  I pointed at the literature they gave me to read before the exam and told them I had read the truth there. 

If you take a polygraph exam, ask why you are being told different things in writing and verbally.  Ask why you should not be upset about that deception.  After all, if there were not a lot on the line you would not be forced to endure this prop con.

Don’t bite your tongue.  Use it wisely.

LP

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 2:57pm
user1982 wrote on Aug 20th, 2007 at 9:34pm:
How hard to you have to bite on your tongue?  I had practiced on a home blood presure machine with a cuff that inflates to the point it hurts my arm.  I tried it several times.  The second time I bit down on my tongue and saw no change.  (bit the entire time the cuff was inflating until it stopped and continued on until it the reading was done).  The third time I bit down real hard and it went to 149 from 147 on the original reading without the biting.  This may not be the correct settings to test this out because the machine only gives you one reading per cuff inflation.

On another note.  What if on some relevent questions you feel a little anxiety right when the question is being asked, then I feel my nerves calm quite quickly and then feel nothing after I answer the question.  Can this be normal?  I have been practicing and feel a bit anxiety on one of the drug question even though I have never done any.  I did however have an old friend I found out recently that over dosed.  (I think I'm more pissed at him than actualy feeling sorry for him.)  Is this a recipe for failure and do I need to work on anxiety while the question is being asked, or not worry cause I calm down right away?

Hell,

Do you think there are morons here...?
What are you ombre, a recent polygraph grad?

Tip: you're doing it wrong. Put the cuff around your head, ensuring that you cover your
nose and mouth. Then inflate the cuff fully; quickly handcuff yourself to a pole; wait for
nirvana.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:54pm
user1982,

Tongue biting as a polygraph countermeasure should be applied hard enough to cause moderate pain, but not so hard as to injure oneself. See p. 149 of the 4th edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more on this. To effectively monitor changes in blood pressure associated with this or any other polygraph countermeasure, you need a blood pressure instrument that provides a continuous reading, rather than giving a one-time reading as yours does.

There is little one can do to prevent reactions to relevant questions. However, by maintaining your baseline breathing rate when the relevant questions are asked, you can ensure that you don't produce any scorable breathing reactions to them.
« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:40pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:33pm
Dear 1982

I was a bit harsh in my response to your post as I thought you were a p/g examiner
taking the pee out of the folk here. Sorry old chap. 

good luck with your cm practising....
Regards,

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lloyd Ploense
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:45pm
Yeeah, Suuurre 1904:

Ya saw George looking at ya, didn't ya Pal?

You good guy anyway 1904.

LP

IP Logged

Tongue Bitting

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X