Normal Topic CIA, Security Clearance and Drug History (Read 16159 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cheshirecat1
New User

CIA, Security Clearance and Drug History
Jul 19th, 2007 at 3:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
As a newcomer to this site all I can say is that I am shocked by some of the testimonials published here.  Stories of polyglots who, by the number of their advanced degrees, seem far overqualified for any sort of government work and the salary attached to it, being refused employment based on the results of some tactless interrogation, even when they seem to have no closeted skeletons to speak of, make it clear why our nation’s intelligence is in such a dismal state.  In my opinion intelligence agencies should’ve been begging those people to work for them.

However, the discussion I wish to engender by this post is why the intelligence community continues to insist on hiring boy scouts.  Now, I understand why a history of drug use could be considered a security risk, but I can’t help but feel they’re overestimating it.  I recently graduated from college and, although I stopped smoking pot regularly, I smoked consistently throughout my student career and insubstantially experimented with other drugs. I don’t know how many of you have smoked pot, but, I really didn’t have any trouble ending my use whatsoever.  The same applies to cocaine or any other substance I have tried.  As a cigarette smoker and a social drinker, I imagine I would find it far harder to end my use of those substances than anything narcotic I’ve had experience with, and I’ve been around the block.

I really don’t see how even consistent or heavy past drug use qualifies as a significant security risk.  If I were in charge, I would consider anybody with even a little debt (apart from student loans), even a spendthrift or a married man, or someone with family living abroad a far greater security risk.  They all have much more to gain and lose than a single applicant who’s had his share of run-ins with the American underworld.  I’ve been mulling this over the past day or so and I cannot think of a better pedestrian analog to being a CIA field agent than being a regular marijuana user.  Again, I don’t know how many of you have experience with this, but when you smoke a lot of pot, you have to do quite a bit of work to acquire it—work that’s not unsimilar to recruiting someone to spy.  You have to make people, dealers, trust you and you have to know who to trust.  You also have to make sure transactions take place in a clandestine manner so that you protect yourself and make sure that trust is not broken.  You get used to doing things in secret, speaking in code, being paranoid, reading people and adjusting your persona so that others find it trusting and affable.  In short, you develop affinities that most others don’t have or need.   

I think, in order for intelligence agencies to function properly and prevent wars that cost billions and tens of thousands in military and civilian lives, they need to play it dirty sometimes.  I cannot see how people who have a past and have been around the block (of course with the proper language and poli sci background) wouldn’t be considered an asset—rather than the ‘squares’ they continue to hire who don’t seem to be able to get the job done.   

I’d like to know what you all think on this matter, you strike me as a very intelligent group.  Perhaps my ideas on what a CIA agent actually does.  My ideas of what’s important when it comes to tradecraft and what an agent actually does are based upon the memoirs of Richard Holm.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Re: CIA, Security Clearance and Drug History
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 6:20pm
Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 7:20pm
To clarify, I didn't mean to imply that I had any business working in intelligence. It seems to me that polygraph tests and background checks are used so that government agencies can hire those with the purest of backgrounds.  I really can't see how innocence and naivete are necessary good things, and how smoking pot in the past is this huge security risk, when I can think of a hundred traits that are more threatening.  But, I guess I just sound like a stoner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 5:15am
Ches, you obviously haven't the foggiest idea of what a security threat is. Where does your weed come from? Mexico? Kentucky? A hydroponic grow operation in China? 
There are two distinct realities in life. The reality enhanced by your THC---an immaginitive and colorful place filled with bright ideas and no action------and the reality called The Here. Maybe you should watch fewer DVD's and read some books on intel. Foreign intel isn't anything like looking over your shoulder while you enter your cousin's trailor to cop a bag. You are no different than a crane operater who feels that a few beers make him more happy, and therefore a better and safer heavy machinery operater. You are wasted Ches-----literally and figuratively.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 5:47am
Firstly, this post was not based on a Harry Palmer movie.  As I said, I looked back to the memoirs of Holm who made a case on the importance of tradecraft, paranoia (he bought a piano for his kids while living abroad, suspected it contained a bug and had it dismantled to no avail) and a bond of trust with assets.  I realize my argument is tenuous.  But, from what I've read, when they do background checks for clearances they look first for drug history and then for financial troubles, and I think this is the wrong order.  Please explain to me how one's smoking pot in college is a security risk—I’m interested and I guess I don’t really understand.   

Oh, and if you’d like to see who does get hired by intel agencies… 

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1184870704/0#0

Naturally, I was interested in someone who clearly had the proper qualifications and history...and google turns up her old blog.

http://www.xanga.com/SLeePyPoOj90

Atleast we can feel safe knowing our intel people like pink and narrating their lives on the internet.  Sorry, but I know a lot of pot heads who would at least use the letter s rather than z on their reports

IP Logged

CIA, Security Clearance and Drug History

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X