Normal Topic My Law Enf Applicant Polygraph (Read 5450 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BNSF
New User

My Law Enf Applicant Polygraph
Jun 24th, 2007 at 11:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Recently I took a pre-employment polygraph for a law enforcement agency on the local level and it was interesting.  The usual pre-test questions were presented and I was also told there would be a mathmatical problem presented to me during the test.  The equipment was explained and the process began.  Three charts were run with about twenty relevant questions asked in a different order during each test segment.  Each began with a sacrifice relevant question and several irrelevant questions were also asked of me.  What was interesting was that no control questions of the directed lie or probable lie types were presented during the exam.  I could only conclude that he used his "baseline" for comparison purposes from the anxiety created during the math question which was a positive number subtracted from a smaller positive number creating a negative number result.  I was not expecting this type of math question but perhaps one more complicated such as a square root problem.  It did take a little time to think about it, longer than I thought it would creating a bit more anxiety.  No post-test session was asked and he seemed eager to have me leave.  At no time did he stop the test except at the end of each segment before he was ready to run another chart.

As of this date I do not know if I passed the test but hope to know within a week or two.  If I advance to the next phase of the selection process I know that I will have passed.    

IP Logged

New User

Re: My Law Enf Applicant Polygraph
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 10:52pm
Good news, I passed the exam and am on the road to being hired.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 3:47pm
BNSF wrote on Jun 24th, 2007 at 11:47pm:
 Three charts were run with about twenty relevant questions asked in a different order during each test segment.  Each began with a sacrifice relevant question and several irrelevant questions were also asked of me.  What was interesting was that no control questions of the directed lie or probable lie types were presented during the exam. 

Strange testing protocol...sounds like a VSA P/Employment format.
Are you sure this was polygraph? Were there 2 pneumo tubes around
your upper body; BP cuff on arm; fingerplates on..? or was there only
a microphone involved...?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2007 at 6:27pm
It was a polygraph without any doubt, the two tubes, BP cuff, electrodes on the fingers.  No microphone anywhere.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 3:26pm
BNSF wrote on Jul 3rd, 2007 at 6:27pm:
It was a polygraph without any doubt, the two tubes, BP cuff, electrodes on the fingers.  No microphone anywhere.

Strange. Sounds like he was disinterested, or in an almighty hurry.
Maybe the donuts were getting cold.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:23pm
The test from start to finish including the pre-test and running three charts took about 90 minutes.  He does polygraphs on almost a full-time basis for his law enforcement agency and other nearby PDs' that do not have an in-house polygrapher.  About twenty relevant questions were asked and he did seem in a bit of a hurry near the end to get me out of there as if he might have had something else to do and nobody appeared to be waiting for him in the waiting room.  Anyway I am glad to have passed the test and now I am waiting to take my medical and lastly the psychological.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 1:11pm
BNSF wrote on Jul 4th, 2007 at 5:23pm:
 Anyway I am glad to have passed the test and now I am waiting to take my medical and lastly the psychological.

This is the easy part. But whatever you do, keep secret that story about the little people that live inside
your ears and pop out to wave at passing trains.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 3:51am
The psychological went well also, about a 2 hour paper test followed by a one hour interview with a psychologist.  He was a very easy going individual that seemed to enjoy his work and was in no hurry to leave his office unlike the polygraph operator.  Yes, I like trains and that is the reason I elected BNSF as my user name.   

What would be interesting would be to have one individual do both the polygraph test and the psychological at the same time.  Wonder what the results would be like?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kalex
New User

Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 9:28am
BNSF wrote on Jul 21st, 2007 at 3:51am:
The psychological went well also, about a 2 hour paper test followed by a one hour interview with a psychologist.  He was a very easy going individual that seemed to enjoy his work and was in no hurry to leave his office unlike the polygraph operator.  Yes, I like trains and that is the reason I elected BNSF as my user name.  

What would be interesting would be to have one individual do both the polygraph test and the psychological at the same time.  Wonder what the results would be like?

Hi There, Are you referring to the Voice Stress test? ie To do two-in-one simultaneously?
I think there are agencies that do so. What about the lafayette LX4000 - does that not
incorporate a Voice Stress recording 'add-on'??

IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Jul 21st, 2007 at 2:05pm
No, not the voice stress test.  It would be interesting to see a polygraph test combined with the psychological interview at the same time.  I wonder how many people lie when taking the pencil and paper portion of the psych test and during the psych interview after the written portion of the exam.  Just a thought.  It's nice to be done with it all and ready to start my new job.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Aug 6th, 2007 at 1:00am
Now that the testing is all over with and I was hired, the agency that did the polygraph is the Lake Havasu PD in AZ.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 2:44am
I was asked a great many questions and one of them actually surprised me.  The examiner inquired, "Have you ever cheated on your taxes?"  I answered no and passed the exam.  Many questions about my lifestyle and prior employment were asked.  He seemed to have used the relevant/irrelevant format.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 25th, 2007 at 3:19pm
Sounds more like the BSBB technique.
Most important thing is that you got the job.

IP Logged

My Law Enf Applicant Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X