Normal Topic kind of depressed about this now (Read 4907 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palindrome
New User

kind of depressed about this now
May 19th, 2007 at 2:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello all,

I am a college sophomore, who has very recently taken a great interest in a career in federal law enforcement (DEA)--that is, until i learned about the polygraph test. I had wanted to work law enforcement for a long time, but only now have i actually researched it. I am worried because I have smoked marijuana in the past (not a total stoner, maybe once every 2 months under 10 times total) and have taken adderall without a prescription (only once). Also, I have stolen merchandise from my employer (while, I aided in it anyways, and not valuing more than $1000, but the $$ is up there). 

I committed these actions before I understood the long term consequences. I now realise the severity of these actions, and i am very remorseful. 

I am depressed because after doing some reading here, as well as other forums, I feel i have no shot working federal law enforcement. 

I won't be applying for at least six years (and i do not intend to commit anymore DQ actions), and if everything goes to plan, I will have completed graduated a top 30 university, a relevant law enforcement internship, and have some military experience. I want to prove how much I have changed, and hopefully the polygraph policy/hiring policy will have been changed by then too.

I don't know the purpose of this post, other than myself wanting to vent. Thanks for listening.  Cry

-Paul
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2007 at 4:34am by palindrome »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Invisible

Re: kind of depressed about this now
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 5:07am
I realize this is a pretty old post but, I'm going to replay anyway.

First of all, ALL law-enforcment agencies, both local and federal, require you to pass a polygraph exam.  The main reason is because they are looking to recruit and hire honest people.

Past drug use, especially minor drug use, if you are telling the truth about that, is not as big of a deal as stealing from your employer. And to be honest, it doesn't sound like you are being very honest if you claim that you did not realize the "long-term consequences" of stealing, especially from your employer.

That's not to say that you'll never be able to work as a federal agent. I personally feel that if you want it bad enough and your heart is in the right place, you can accomplish anything you set out to do.

Having said that, if you are "depressed" about this then, maybe this isn't the best career path for you, considering that, you are most-likely going to face far worse circumstances as a DEA agent. (i.e.-dead bodies, nerve-racking undercover work, shady criminals)

Perhaps you should consider something in the private sector. It pays a lot better anyway.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Re: kind of depressed about this now
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 6:24am
Quote:
I realize this is a pretty old post but, I'm going to replay anyway.

First of all, ALL law-enforcment agencies, both local and federal, require you to pass a polygraph exam.  The main reason is because they are looking to recruit and hire honest people.

This is completely incorrect. The polygraph is far from a requirement for all law enforcement agencies on a local or federal level.

Pre-employment polygraphs are illegal, even for law enforcement applicants, in Massachusetts, Minnesota and New Jersey. 

Even in states where polygraphs are not prohibited by law, there are plenty of departments that do not polygraph. The New York Police Department, America's largest law enforcement agency, does not require that applicants pass a polygraph examination in order to be hired. It is far from alone within the state in not using the polygraph.

On the federal level, there are sworn LE positions with both ICE and the US Marshals Service that also do not require polygraph examinations as a condition of employment.

Moreover, if law enforcement agencies were looking for truly honest people, they would be wise to avoid using polygraphy as part of any selection process. This arbitrary and unscientific procedure is actually biased against the most truthful persons.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2009 at 9:59am by G Scalabr »  
IP Logged

kind of depressed about this now

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X