Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Countermeasure results (Read 18835 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polycrap32123
New User

Countermeasure results
May 14th, 2007 at 2:56am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a poly test coming up for a local law enforcement agency and i wanted to know if there is anyone who has used the countermeasures and is certain that they work, and when you used them were you suspected of using them at all? i want to be sure i pass my polygraph test so any responses would really help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hellcat
New User

Re: Countermeasure results
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:07am
I used countermeasures for a federal polygraph.  I did pass and was not accused of using countermeasures. I used the "blocking" breathing method along with mental arithmetic. Would I have passed without using them? Not sure but I had failed a job screening poly for a different prospective employer previously (not using countermeasures). 

You do have to make sure you use them on the appropriate questions and not on the relevant questions. Also, carefully read the section on how a truthful subject should act. I formed a good honest raport with the examiner when I passed using countermeasures.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:44am
I take a polygraph every year and I use CMs every time.   
I have never been suspected of using CMs and I have always passed.   
I recently took one and even made a couple of mistakes.  The questions were more difficult than usual and it seemed more like a R/IR test.  I used a CM on a Relevant question during one of the charts.  I was questioned about it, gave a benign answer, and still passed.  CMs work without a doubt.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2007 at 7:54am
polycrap,

I used polygraph countermeasures and was not suspected at all by the polygraph examiner during the exam. The examiner showed me the charts afterwards, and told me he did not note any problems with any of the questions, and he ran three sets of charts on me consisting of approximately 10 to 12 questions per chart.

Bottom line, the technique as described and explained in "TLBTLD" works fine if followed properly.

There is no guarantee that the techniques will result in a successful polygraph exam... however, Telling the truth is no guarantee of passing either. 

Knowledge is power. Educate yourself on how polygraph testing works, and then you can make an informed decision on what you should or should not do. My advice to you would be to simply tell the truth. Although, I also must advise you that telling the truth may result in a false-positive result, thus failing the polygraph exam you hope to pass.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polycrap32123
New User

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2007 at 1:15am
Thanks for the feed back guys, this will really help and i wanted t ask underlyingtruth something, 
what CM's have you used for you exams?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2007 at 2:50pm
polycrap32123 wrote on May 24th, 2007 at 1:15am:
Thanks for the feed back guys, this will really help and i wanted t ask underlyingtruth something, 
what CM's have you used for you exams?

One wonders why no repsonse to your innocent question.
Perhaps UT has to firstly learn a few..........................
There are some 20 odd CM's that you can use to skew the p/g
examination.

You will be told by hte Examiner to 'breathe normally' - how odd?
So, without making a theatrical production about it - regulate your
breathing to your desired 'norm'
He will review the questions with you. Usually - he is supposed to review
the CQ's last - you will recognise them as being unrelated to the present
and focussing on previous in life honesty issues.
when you answer to the CQ's, your next 3 breaths after answering NO,
should be shorter and shallower than your norm.....................
At the same time visualise in your mind a knife flying through the air
towards your eye.

When you recognise the RQ's - after you answer NO, make your next 3
breaths longer and deeper than your norm. At the same time, visualise
in your mind, a calm blue ocean, viewed form a hilltop.

worst case scenario - Incon.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2007 at 4:07pm
Quote:

This advice (which you have repeated elsewhere on this forum) is terribly ill-conceived, as it will ensure that one produces a scorable reaction to the relevant question on the pneumo channel (thus decreasing one's chances of passing). Instead, when relevant questions are asked one should simply return to one's baseline breathing pattern.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:45pm
Quote:
Quote:

This advice (which you have repeated elsewhere on this forum) is terribly ill-conceived, as it will ensure that one produces a scorable reaction to the relevant question on the pneumo channel (thus decreasing one's chances of passing). Instead, when relevant questions are asked one should simply return to one's baseline breathing pattern.

Hi George,

I have been a p/g examiner since the early 90's. I have administered thousands of p/g examinations.
I have tried every conceivable CM on my colleagues and vice versa - so that we knew what to look
out for. Some tracings are easier to identify (the CM ) than others. The best strategy is to produce
normal (but false ) tracings so as to produce a chart that the examiner is satisfied with as being a
truthful chart.

It is also within my personal knowledge that many examiners have problems in scoring pneumos.
As you know there is STILL the debate whether small = big vs big = small.
However, most examiners correctly identify dimished pneumos (small) as a bigger response and 
bigger (than norm ) pneumos as relief (truthful) breathing.

With a little practice anyone can master the art of pneumo manipulation.
A bit of mental conditioning (pitbull vs calm ocean ) will make a slight, appropriate difference
to the appropriate cardio response.

Your suggestion of tongue biting is a bit weak. All examiners know that the GSC response
is very responsive, to the point of being unreliable. I will catch you biting your tongue 9/10 times.

I know my subject George. 

I'll give you even better CM's than those we have mentioned.
Go to a doctor that does not know you. Pay cash and provide false details for his records.
Tell him you started getting sever migraine at night and think that you might actually
have fainted a few times (in bed) - The doctor will assume that you are suffering from
either severe stress headache or maybe even low level epilepsy. (associated with cluster
headaches - which onset presents at night time)

The medication so prescribed (there are several) maintains homeostasis in the subject with
the result that responses are so diminished that the subject will pass, no  matter what questions
are put to him/her.

When the examiner asks what meds subject may currently be taking, subject advises
that he/she WAS taking headache meds but stopped a few days back and cant remem
the name of the tab. If pushed -  something he/she got from a close family member.

Next best CM is adrenal depletion - achieved by sleep deprivation and diminished food 
intake. On the day before the exam - have a very light lunch. skip dinner.
Sleep 1/3 of your normal quota. No meals until after your test. Do the mental visualisation.
you will pass.

NB - IF YOU ARE A DIABETES SUFFERER DISREGARD THIS ADVICE. JUST DO THE CONTROLLED
BREATHING AND MENTAL VISUALISATIONS.

I know you have your viewpoint George - via TLBTLD - but my experiences are real life.
Smiley

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:47am
Quote:
Hi George,

I have been a p/g examiner since the early 90's. I have administered thousands of p/g examinations.
I have tried every conceivable CM on my colleagues and vice versa - so that we knew what to look
out for. Some tracings are easier to identify (the CM ) than others. The best strategy is to produce
normal (but false ) tracings so as to produce a chart that the examiner is satisfied with as being a
truthful chart.

It is also within my personal knowledge that many examiners have problems in scoring pneumos.
As you know there is STILL the debate whether small = big vs big = small.
However, most examiners correctly identify dimished pneumos (small) as a bigger response and 
bigger (than norm ) pneumos as relief (truthful) breathing.

Indeed, in 2006, the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (recently renamed the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment), struck the following from its list of scorable breathing reactions:

• Increase in amplitude
  • Progressive increase followed by a progressive decrease
  • Progressive increase in amplitude followed by a return to homeostasis
  • Increase in rate

However, "Temporary increase in baseline" remains on the list, and by breathing more deeply in response to relevant questions, the examinee may risk producing this scorable reaction at the wrong point.

Quote:
With a little practice anyone can master the art of pneumo manipulation.
A bit of mental conditioning (pitbull vs calm ocean ) will make a slight, appropriate difference
to the appropriate cardio response.

Indeed, the available research suggests as much.

Quote:
Your suggestion of tongue biting is a bit weak. All examiners know that the GSC response
is very responsive, to the point of being unreliable. I will catch you biting your tongue 9/10 times.

So you claim, but no polygrapher has ever demonstrated an ability to detect tongue-biting as a countermeasure. In peer-reviewed studies on the topic, even experienced polygraphers who were forewarned that tongue-biting would be used as a countermeasure were unable to detect it. (See Honts et al. 1985, 1994; citations and abstracts in the bibliography of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.)

I assume that by "GSC" you meant to say "GSR" (galvanic skin response)? I was not aware that "all examiners know" that it is "very responsive to the point of being unreliable." Could you provide any citations from the polygraph literature to support this assertion?

Quote:
I know my subject George.

That may be so, but since anyone can anonymously make such claims on this board, please take no offense (none is intended) at being asked for evidence.

Quote:
I'll give you even better CM's than those we have mentioned.
Go to a doctor that does not know you. Pay cash and provide false details for his records.
Tell him you started getting sever migraine at night and think that you might actually
have fainted a few times (in bed) - The doctor will assume that you are suffering from
either severe stress headache or maybe even low level epilepsy. (associated with cluster
headaches - which onset presents at night time)

The medication so prescribed (there are several) maintains homeostasis in the subject with
the result that responses are so diminished that the subject will pass, no  matter what questions
are put to him/her.

When the examiner asks what meds subject may currently be taking, subject advises
that he/she WAS taking headache meds but stopped a few days back and cant remem
the name of the tab. If pushed -  something he/she got from a close family member.

Specifically what medications do you have in mind? What are their side-effects and contraindications? And why would the subject want to mention having taken any such medication at all? Note that in the context of pre-employment screening, telling a polygrapher that one has taken prescription medicine not prescribed to oneself may lead to an unwelcome interrogation about drug use.

Quote:
Next best CM is adrenal depletion - achieved by sleep deprivation and diminished food 
intake. On the day before the exam - have a very light lunch. skip dinner.
Sleep 1/3 of your normal quota. No meals until after your test. Do the mental visualisation.
you will pass.

NB - IF YOU ARE A DIABETES SUFFERER DISREGARD THIS ADVICE. JUST DO THE CONTROLLED
BREATHING AND MENTAL VISUALISATIONS.

Could you direct me to any research establishing that 1) merely skipping a meal and getting 1/3 of one's normal night's sleep results in a medical condition known as "adrenal depletion" and 2) such condition systematically influences breathing, heart rate, blood pressure, and perspiration in ways that are generally beneficial to polygraph examinees? I would personally prefer to go into a polygraph interrogation well-nourished, well-rested, and mentally sharp.

Quote:
I know you have your viewpoint George - via TLBTLD - but my experiences are real life.
Smiley

The experiential (but scientifically unsupported) claims of the polygraph community regarding the validity of polygraphy lead me to be skeptical of anecdotal evidence such as that which you have presented. Any additional information would be welcome.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:20pm
Hi George,

Your reply ended with a strange assumption. Nowhere was I claiming validity
for polygraphy. I was claiming it's invalidity.

As I did say - my experiences with the practice of CM's is related to in-house
experience - because I did not believe the BS that the APA et al puts out.

Pneumos: There has to be a pneumogram. No examiner will administer a test
without pneumos attached. now interestingly- you quote APA related research
data iro pneumograms. George - it is all BS. Pneumos are a bitch. In many
association meetings and at 'ongoing education workshops' it has come to my
attention that most examiners are confused by pneumograms. (note: I say that
p/g is BS )

I must be quite a bit older than you, because I remember the days when GSR was
still referred to as GSC (Conductance) - old habits die hard. The latter day p/g prophets
now refer to Control Q's as Comparison Q's but -- old habits - I still say 'Control' 
(bite me )

Meds etc. I did say got to a doctor - so that any possible contra-indications are considered
when a prescription is written for the subject. Better to say that you have taken something
in case a drug question is included - then one does not have to lie. Prescribed meds are not
what examiners have in mind when they test for drugs -- come on George. No cheap shots.

In any decent polygraph school (possibly not Marston Academy) the Instructor will teach candidate
examiners about the effects of adrenal depletion. Like most useful and effective CM's - you wont
find much literature about the subject - it is a well kept secret. In our firm we tried the Adrenal
Depletion technique. It works. The object is not to impress the examiner on how preppy, bright
eyed and bushy tailed you are - but to pass the test. 

I invite any openminded and unbiased p/g examiners out there to pass comment iro George
and 1904's viewpoints. 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2007 at 3:10pm

I didn't mean to suggest that you were supporting the validity of polygraphy. Rather, my point was that just as I'm skeptical of anecdotal claims by polygraph proponents in support of the validity of polygraphy, I'm also skeptical of anecdotal claims regarding the efficacy of undocumented countermeasures. Anecdotal claims (on both sides) may be sincere, but they can also be sincerely mistaken. So when an anonymous claim based on personal experience is made about a novel countermeasure approach, I'd be interested to see more evidence.

Regarding pneumo tubes, I didn't quote APA research, but rather DoDPI's (or, nowadays, DACA's) scoring criteria. Whether polygraphers are confused by pneumo tracings or not, it seems to me based on the current scoring criteria that increasing one's breathing rate or depth when the relevant questions are asked creates the risk of producing a scorable reaction. I don't see the advantage of doing this over simply returning to a baseline breathing pattern that won't produce a scorable reaction.

Regarding GSC, it seems my assumption that you had made an error was premature. Some polygraph instruments do indeed measure conductance rather than resistance. But GSR (galvanic skin response) or, interchangeably, EDR (electrodermal response) are the more commonly used terms.

I don't think that seeking a prescription for a medication one cannot name is well-advised. My observation that telling a polygrapher one has taken a prescription drug without a prescription can lead to an unwelcome interrogation about drug use was not intended as a cheap shot. Such has indeed happened, and abuse of prescription drugs may be grounds for disqualification.

Thanks also for your additional explanation regarding "adrenal depletion," though I must say I don't find it particularly convincing.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Quote:

I didn't mean to suggest that you were supporting the validity of polygraphy. Rather, my point was that just as I'm skeptical of anecdotal claims by polygraph proponents in support of the validity of polygraphy, I'm also skeptical of anecdotal claims regarding the efficacy of undocumented countermeasures. Anecdotal claims (on both sides) may be sincere, but they can also be sincerely mistaken. So when an anonymous claim based on personal experience is made about a novel countermeasure approach, I'd be interested to see more evidence.

George,
You're good at this. Some 4000 debates later - I would not have expected any less.
Somebody pissed you off big time. You've obviously devoted a chunk of your life to
reading research on polygraph, but I gather that you've never actually been an examiner.
I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner. I just admire your dedication to the subject as
a non-examiner.

If more examiners knew their subject as well as you did, there would be fewer examiners.
And that would not be a bad thing. P/G should be used as an investigation aid only. No hard
and fast decisions should be made on the result of a p/g test.

I have been waiting for somebody on this site to ask me why I'm a hypocrite, because I believe that
p/g is not science and can be beaten easily by anyone with half a brain. So then why do I
continue to train examiners? 

PS: I tell them " This is not science. It is an investigative aid, to be used only when a physical investigation has stalled. The p/g has no Aritificial Intelligence. It is a dumb instrument. 
The quality of the output relies on the quality of the input. ie- Examiner Skill. 
Remember: shit in = shit out"

Have you ever met the p/g fraternity en masse? Viewing a crowd of them at an association meeting
is like watching lemmings preparing to leap into the unknown. I have been seriously unimpressed.
The association abounds with egomaniacs and bullshi**ers. They remind me of rodeo riders.
Always competing with each others war stories. Contributing massively to Global Warming.

What is your 9-5 George ?

Aloha

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #12 - May 29th, 2007 at 4:21pm

Maybe most posters are like me. Leary of jumping in because I can't figure out where you're going with your posts and don't want to look like an ass. And I used used to be a rodeo rider for a very short time. Four attempts at bulls and never stayed on one more than 4 seconds. Retired quickly. I was more successful as the clown because I could RUN.

If you are being truthful (no reason to not believe) I admire you for posting your convictions. I believe as you that it is nothing more than an investigative tool. However, when a polygrapher lies and tells a subject that he failed (when he actually passed) in an attempt to gain a confession is wrong and the polygrapher should be banned from the practice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2007 at 11:59pm

I am indeed impressed that your willing to share your knowlege. And in all honesty have enjoyed the postings. I am sure some of our local polygraphers who are not so happy your posting. But one has to ask why ? This answer carries alot of weight in regards to your stock on this board. As with all things here, it is taken with a grain of salt and some analysis. I look forward to your response !! 

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #14 - May 30th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Twoblock wrote on May 29th, 2007 at 4:21pm:

Maybe most posters are like me. Leary of jumping in because I can't figure out where you're going with your posts and don't want to look like an ass. And I used used to be a rodeo rider for a very short time. Four attempts at bulls and never stayed on one more than 4 seconds. Retired quickly. I was more successful as the clown because I could RUN.

If you are being truthful (no reason to not believe) I admire you for posting your convictions. I believe as you that it is nothing more than an investigative tool. However, when a polygrapher lies and tells a subject that he failed (when he actually passed) in an attempt to gain a confession is wrong and the polygrapher should be banned from the practice.

Twoblock - I am sincere. I have no faith in something I have dabbled in for many years.
What a double standard!! However, I have never ever engaged in that BS manouevre of
telling an examinee that he has failed (when actually NDI or INC ) - not for any reason.
I agree with you that to do so should incur strict censure. 

Thankfully, I am able to change my future - getting out of the business

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Countermeasure results

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X