Normal Topic Mental and/or Physical health issues caused by Polygraphs (Read 22805 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box whatthe
New User

Mental and/or Physical health issues caused by Polygraphs
May 12th, 2007 at 10:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently was asked to take a polygraph examination to clear my name, and did just that.  However after passing the exam I am now experiencing depression, anticipation and extreme anxity over everything.  While I was in the room after the first round of questions the room literaly felt like it was closing in on me(couldn't have been bigger than an 8x10 room) and the barbaric chair I had to set in seemed like something from a horror film.  When I took the exam I remember I had to sign a waiver but I do not remember the waiver mentioning any possible physical or mental side effects or risks of the machine even though they had to ask medical questions to see if I was 'fit' for it.  Does anyone here know if there have ever been any studies done to see if there are physical/mental health risks or temporary side effects involved in taking a polygraph in a criminal case/investigation?  The whole process has been increadibly stressful for me, any ideas on what I should do now?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: Mental and/or Physical health issues caused by Polygraphs
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2007 at 3:25am
whatthe,

As you experienced, the polygraph suite is designed to remove outside interference and remove any support to/for the examinee. This is done because to isolate you makes you more willing to spill your guts to the polygrapher. The stress you felt is designed into the examination so that the polygrapher can get his "Fight or Flight Response" to an acceptable level. The chair is also meant to be workable but not comfortable, and adds to the stress level you were designed to feel. The polygraph only works with 3 things in place.

1. Examinee must have fear and anxiety, heightened by isolation and the BS pretest song &    
   dance.
2. Examinee must believe that the machine really can detect deception. This is done by the 
   pretest verbage of the polygrapher and the acquantance test. The polygrapher must have 
   a certain level of report with the examinee in order to make the voodoo work. 
3. Examinee must have a consequence if he fails the exam. One being you will in this tight little room for quite some time enduring this electric rubber hose treatment.

Bottomline is everyone reacts differently to the experience, your just having a tougher reaction than most. It should make your blood boil that you had to be subjected to such a bogus process as a polygraph, just to prove your veracity. You should read, "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector", and understand and analyze your experience. I think you will be alot less upset once you understand the ruse you were subjected too.

Much success to you.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2007 at 4:19am
Thank you, although my biggest problem is the symptoms I experinced while I was there never left, in fact they are getting much worse, I would rather die then be subjected to that BS again.  Something really needs to be done about this, sooner rather than later.  No one should have to be subjected to such mental abuse ever.  I understand why they do it, it does help get some guilty people to confess but the inoccent people hurt by it should never have had to go thru it.  I'm actual planning on seeing a psychatrist because of this, the feelings just won't go away...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2007 at 6:14am
To the best of my knowledge, there are no scientific studies of any kind on the psychological aftereffects of polygraphic interrogation. This topic is apparently of little interest or concern to the polygraph community.

I would second EosJupiter's suggestion that you educate yourself about polygraphy, and The Lie Behind the Lie Detector would indeed be a good place to start. Understanding the polygraph process may help to mitigate the depression and anxiety you've been feeling.

And for more general information about police interrogation tactics, I recommend Julia Layton's article, "How Police Interrogation Works" on HowStuffWorks.com.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2007 at 6:22am
whatthe wrote on May 13th, 2007 at 4:19am:
Thank you, although my biggest problem is the symptoms I experinced while I was there never left, in fact they are getting much worse, I would rather die then be subjected to that BS again.  Something really needs to be done about this, sooner rather than later.  No one should have to be subjected to such mental abuse ever.  I understand why they do it, it does help get some guilty people to confess but the inoccent people hurt by it should never have had to go thru it.  I'm actual planning on seeing a psychatrist because of this, the feelings just won't go away...

whatthe,

By all means if you feel that professional help is neccessary, then trust your instincts. But I would suggest that you give the feelings and emotions a slight bit of time to settle down. Then seek professional care, if your still having the intense emotional episodes. And it is never a bad thing to ask for help !! But turn this around, and now you have the experience to spread the word on the evil that is the polygraph. I turned my anger and emotions into my position against the polygraph. And now do what ever, when ever I can,  to do in this pseudo-science and its voodoo practitioners. Much good luck to you.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2007 at 7:31am
I thank you both for your replies and support.  I have just installed the required software to read the book and will be doing that shortly since I can't sleep, heck I can hardly even eat after this crap.

In reply to George W. Maschke I have to ask, why if the polygraph is designed to be so emmotionaly intense why was it never tested(too your knowledge) to see if it was psychologicaly safe to admister to innocent people?  My test cleared me and yet I am so deeply disturbed by the situation it was administered in that I can hardly do anything anymore, even sleeping or eating.  If the goverment is concerned about the safety of citizens why not see if it is a safe process to use?  Should I be seeking legal council and/or a laywer and sue for damages to my mental health due to the criminal negligence of those responcible for allowing this kind of torture?

In reply to EosJupiter I would love to give it time to settle down but I don't know if I even have that much time, the feelings are just too intense, I do not think I can stand it much longer, it is driving me completely out of my mind, and yes the whole process is completly evil.

Of course, any other assistance or help is greatly appreciated, that and any other facts on trauma caused by this 'thing' the detectives called science.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2007 at 11:57am
Whatthe,

You might care to read "The CQT Polygrapher's Dilemma: Logico-Ethical Considerations for Psychophysiological Practitioners and Researchers," a paper published in the 1993 by the International Journal of Psychophysiology.  It describes the negative emotional consequences for an innocent examinee who undergoes a polygraph examination and is ultimately deemed to be truthful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - May 13th, 2007 at 12:02pm
The article to which Dr. Richardson refers may be downloaded as a Microsoft Word Document here:

http://psych.utoronto.ca/~furedy/Papers/ld/CQT%20Polygraphers%27%20Dilemma.doc

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2007 at 8:24pm
Well I've read the artical "The CQT Polygrapher's Dilemma: Logico-Ethical Considerations for Psychophysiological Practitioners and Researchers" and it appears to me that there is a serious lacking in the full effects that taking a polygraph has on a person.  Not only can there be sever social effects but they appear to note that it is a very psycological test w/o any concern for mental health.  I am now also on page 90 of TLBTLD and looking at the information about the "Stim Test".  Honestly I now believe that my polygraph examiner was using a stacked deck as he WOULD NOT allow me to pick any card, he only allowed me to pick one of the top 10 cards on the deck(yes I counted how many he spread, when I tried to get the 11th card he told me to stop messing around and pushed it back).  I am even more certain of this because he would not even shuffle the deck of cards either, some crappy mind trick...  It isn't even really an art after reading as much as I have already, it's just a personal assualt on one's wellbeing to get them to throw out some sort of confession.  Despicable I say.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Reply #9 - May 16th, 2007 at 5:17am
Jesus H Christ, what a poor soul. So you sat down in a weird chair, was asked questions for an hour or better, hooked up to some harmless wires, and told that you were truthful----or, were you NOT told that you were truthfull? Your writing seems a little "off" man. I don't abuse anyone that I test, and I'll take a polygraph over a (recent) root canal any day. My god, the anti-guys here are even coddling you like a crippled newborn. George, we have guys getting torn to shreds in Iraq and you're cradling this mope over a passed test? Are you serious? I thought that this site had a bag.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box quickfix
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - May 16th, 2007 at 7:57pm
oh golly gee

he passed his poly and now he'd scarred for life;  there, there, you poor baby;  everything'll be alright.  I notice your "trauma" didn't affect your ability to think about getting a lawyer.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 1904
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2007 at 3:19pm
palerider wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 5:17am:
Jesus H Christ, what a poor soul. So you sat down in a weird chair, was asked questions for an hour or better, hooked up to some harmless wires, and told that you were truthful----or, were you NOT told that you were truthfull? Your writing seems a little "off" man. I don't abuse anyone that I test, and I'll take a polygraph over a (recent) root canal any day. My god, the anti-guys here are even coddling you like a crippled newborn. George, we have guys getting torn to shreds in Iraq and you're cradling this mope over a passed test? Are you serious? I thought that this site had a bag.

Hey Moron,
Why arent you in Iraq? Tip: Set up shop and test all the Sunni's and Shiite's that you professed to know so much about - test them all to see who is anti-american and be sure to tell them you know that they're
lying, BS'ng camel jockeys. 

Newsflash - you are the bag.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hussain Ali

Reply #12 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 1:08pm
Quote:
palerider wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 5:17am:

Hey Moron,
Why arent you in Iraq? Tip: Set up shop and test all the Sunni's and Shiite's that you professed to know so much about - test them all to see who is anti-american and be sure to tell them you know that they're
lying, BS'ng camel jockeys. 

Newsflash - you are the bag.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box phrend
New User

Reply #13 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 5:42pm
You jest, but people are proposing/doing this now:

TX Lawmakers: Polygraph Syrian Refugees
http://www.ktrh.com/articles/houston-news-121300/tx-lawmakers-polygraph-syrian-r...

Syrian-American attorney talks about how refugees are checked after Paris attacks
http://www.wkow.com/story/30532919/2015/11/16/syrian-american-attorney-talks-abo...

I suggest they use phrenology Smiley

IP Logged

Mental and/or Physical health issues caused by Polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X