Normal Topic Some thoughts on hiring (Read 2511 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box DippityShurff
New User

Some thoughts on hiring
May 1st, 2007 at 1:14am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I guess before I get started, I better provide some bona fides.  Started in law enforcement upon leaving the Army in 1973.  POST Instructor, Swat team trainer, Federal law enforcement trainer, Assistant Chief of Police in a past life, Patrol operations Captain, again in a past life.  Degreed with a BS, ( and of course we know that means bullsh*t), currently serving in a metro Atlanta Sheriff's Agency, 300 strong (small but not real small).  I decide ultimately who gets hired.  Our Agency polygraphs...a new thing really and instituted over my objection.  As with many of you, this is not my first rodeo.  I absolutely respect the opinions of my brethren here, both polygraph advocates and foes.  I applaud George and Gino for providing this forum.

1.  Be honest on your application.  there is almost a 100% chance that I will find out if you lie to me.  

2.  Dress well if you get an interview.  As we have discussed before, you may not own a Hickey Freeman suit, or a Lands End suit.  Do the best you can and be as clean as you can be.

3.  Look your interviewers in the eye when you speak with them.  Don't stare them down but be aware that you are being judged **kinesically**.

4.  If you don't know the answer to a question, say you don't know.  That's called honesty without the attempted BS.

5.  If there is something that stinks in your past, and you are asked about it, be honest and be willing to accept responsibility for what happened.  Interviewers have a tendency to side with the Agency that fired you, and look unfavorably on those who would just slam them.  Yet, they may see the forest for the trees if you accept responsibility and let them know that you have learned from your mistakes.

6.  If you have a substantial dope history, don't waste your time, or ours.  Yes, it may be unfair, close-minded and short-sighted.  It is what it is.

7.  Please understand that in most cases, the board members that you sit in front of are seasoned professionals used to seeing liars.  They find a breath of fresh air in seeing truthful people, and if there is a way, they can **find** a way to advance you to the next step.

After just finishing a board this very date, some pointers while they are fresh on my mind.

Good luck to all of you considering law enforcement.

Dip

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Some thoughts on hiring
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2007 at 1:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I know you only wanted answers to three questions, but I can't even give you that until you tell us the rest of the story.  What you wrote isn't all of it, I can guarantee.

However, you need to disclose this incident.  The agency to which you are applying will find out about it anyway.

In CT we can only involuntarily commit someone to the hospital if we feel they are a threat to themselves or someone else.  If that happens they are thereafter going to be prohibited from legally carrying a firearm in CT.  No firearm = no LEO job.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Some thoughts on hiring

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X