Normal Topic Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process? (Read 17058 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process?
Apr 11th, 2007 at 2:45pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In an interview with Los Angeles radio station KNX 1070 on 10 April 2007, retired FBI polygraph examiner Jack Trimarco stated that the polygraph is the last step of the FBI's hiring process, and that after it, those who pass get on the plane and go to Quantico. This is news to me. Although I am aware of cases where the Bureau has begun background investigations before administering pre-employment polygraph screening examinations, I heard anything about it necessarily being the last step in the hiring process. Can anyone confirm this?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 10:21pm
I don't know anything about where in the hiring process the FBI places the polygraph.  I can tell you that it is the last step in the process for my department.  I really like the fact that we save it for last, because that means in EVERY case where a polygraph examination reveals disqualifying information (in some cases major felonies), the applicant had first been determined to be "squeeky clean" by a detailed and in depth background investigation.

That is what we call "utility" and that is why police applicant polygraph screening will be around for a long time to come.

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 11:40pm
nonombre wrote on Apr 11th, 2007 at 10:21pm:
I don't know anything about where in the hiring process the FBI places the polygraph.  I can tell you that it is the last step in the process for my department.  I really like the fact that we save it for last, because that means in EVERY case where a polygraph examination reveals disqualifying information (in some cases major felonies), the applicant had first been determined to be "squeeky clean" by a detailed and in depth background investigation.

That is what we call "utility" and that is why police applicant polygraph screening will be around for a long time to come.

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

Just out of curiosity, how many people who have first been determined to be squeaky clean lie about an undisclosed felony during the polygraph and get away with it?

Also, just out of curiosity, how many people who have first been determined to be squeaky clean are disqualified by the polygraph even though they made no damaging admissions and told the truth about everything?

I know polygraph examiners are generally willing to believe that screwing an unknown percentage of innocent, truthful applicants is worth it if an unknown percertage of other people make a disqualifying admission.

I think that until the number of liars who pass is zero, and until the number of truthful applicants who fail is zero, the utility of the polygraph is an illusion.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 1:39am

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

Nonombre,

As surely as the sun sets and rises, your back just waiting for opportunities such as this. I won't bore you with the semantics of pro vs. anti rhetoric, I would like you to post your data showing the actual number of felonies and adverse information that you have found as of the result of your polygraph efforts. As usual actual data goes along way to backing your position. Or the short of it is, no data, no proof, no valid position with which to base your comment.

Regards ... 

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 2:23am
EosJupiter wrote on Apr 12th, 2007 at 1:39am:

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

Nonombre,

As surely as the sun sets and rises, your back just waiting for opportunities such as this. I won't bore you with the semantics of pro vs. anti rhetoric, I would like you to post your data showing the actual number of felonies and adverse information that you have found as of the result of your polygraph efforts. As usual actual data goes along way to backing your position. Or the short of it is, no data, no proof, no valid position with which to base your comment.

Regards ... 

Eos,

Just how do you suggest I present my data in such a way as to:

1.  Prove to you and others the data is in fact real and actual?
2.  Protect the privacy of my applicants and the sources and methods of my department?
3.  Not compromise ongoing investigations and prosecutions which may have arisen from some of these cases?
4.  Keep my job after disclosing "Law Enforcement Sensitive" statistics and associated materials on the internet?  

Like others before you who have previously raised these same demands, you know it is impossible to report specifics without compromise.  THAT is exactly why you feel so comfortable making such demands..

Good day...

Nonombre Huh

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 3:53am
nonombre wrote on Apr 12th, 2007 at 2:23am:

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

Nonombre,

Regards ... 

Eos,

2.  Protect the privacy of my applicants and the sources and methods of my department?
3.  Not compromise ongoing investigations and prosecutions which may have arisen from some of these cases?
4.  Keep my job after disclosing "Law Enforcement Sensitive" statistics and associated materials on the internet?  

Like others before you who have previously raised these same demands, you know it is impossible to report specifics without compromise.  THAT is exactly why you feel so comfortable making such demands..

Good day...

Nonombre Huh

Nonombre,

Be inventive, think outside the box, use another departments data, use data from a known polygraph resource. I am sure there are other places to look besides your own department. Hiring and testing reports are usually public knowlege after a certain amount of time has passed. Use years older reports if you have too.  I would never ask you to risk your job, It would be nice to see some real data. Get some of your fellow polygraphers to cough up some reports. Some is always better than none. Valid data proves all,

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 4:41am
nonombre wrote on Apr 12th, 2007 at 2:23am:

Regards,

Nonombre Wink

Nonombre,

Regards ... 

Eos,

Good day...

Nonombre Huh

How about one case that resulted in an indictment? Since indictments are public record, this will not compromise sensitive data. Specifically show a case in which the background investigation failed but the heroic polygrapher saved the day...

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

FBI Website Doesn't Say Polygraph Is Last Stage
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2007 at 11:58am
I didn't find any mention of the polygraph being the last stage of the FBI special agent hiring process on the Bureau's website, which lists seven steps, the last of which is a medical examination:

1. Online Application
2. Phase I Testing
3. Phase II Testing
4. Conditional Letter of Appointment
5. Physical Fitness Test
6. FBI Background Investigation [including polygraph]
7. Medical Examination

The following description is provided for step 6, the FBI Background Investigation:
Quote:
Candidates that receive a Conditional Letter of Appointment will also be asked to submit the paperwork necessary to begin the FBI Background Investigation. The background investigation includes: a polygraph examination; credit and arrest checks; interviews with associates, personal and business references, past employers and neighbors; and verification of educational achievements. All applicants must receive an FBI Top Secret security clearance in order to be eligible to become FBI Special Agents.

Note that the polygraph is the first component of the background investigation to be listed, though the web page does not state in what order these components are necessarily done.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Re: Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process?
Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 3:37pm
The U.S. Department of Justice's report, "Use of Polygraph Examinations in the Department of Justice," (1 mb PDF) dated September 2006, states at p. 45 (emphasis added):

Quote:
For applicants for Special Agent positions, the FBI conducts the
polygraph examination before beginning the background investigation.
That
enables the FBI to limit the costs of conducting a background investigation
when applicants are determined to be ineligible for employment based on
their polygraph examination results, e.g., they admitted to disqualifying
behavior during the examination process. The FBI investigators are also
able to use information gathered during the polygraph examination to focus
background investigations. FBI Security officials said that, before 2005, all
applicants were given polygraph examinations before their background
investigations were initiated, but in 2005 the FBI decided to begin the
background investigation process for non-agent applicants before
conducting their polygraph examinations as a time-saving measure.

So if the FBI is now administering pre-employment polygraph screening examinations only after completion of the background investigation, it is a quite recent change.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ImaLiar
New User

Re: Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process?
Reply #9 - May 8th, 2007 at 2:40am
Quote:
The U.S. Department of Justice's report, "Use of Polygraph Examinations in the Department of Justice," (1 mb PDF) dated September 2006, states at p. 45 ... :

Quote:

...in 2005 the FBI decided to begin the
background investigation process for non-agent applicants before
conducting their polygraph examinations as a time-saving measure.

I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I don't see how this saves time.  I mean, mine was scheduled & completed a few days after I got the offer letter, but the background investigation would take months.  What am I missing?

IP Logged

Polygraph Now Last Stage of FBI Hiring Process?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X