Normal Topic James Allan Matte's Trilogy, The Caul (Read 4132 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

James Allan Matte's Trilogy, The Caul
Mar 24th, 2007 at 9:56pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Polygraph luminary and faux Ph.D. James Allan Matte has authored a series of three semi-autobiographical novels about the exploits of a polygraph operator cum superhero-for-Christ-and-Country.  The three parts of the trilogy, titled The Caul, may be individually searched on Amazon.com (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3). The following is based on a brief perusal:

The lead character and hero, James Markham, is patterned on Matte himself, and in many respects this seems to be a roman ą clef. For example, Matte has had a running dispute with Donald Krapohl, the deputy director of the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment (formerly known as the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute) and recently-elected president of the American Polygraph Association (APA). Heretofore, this dispute was primarily manifested in the form of a series of articles in the  APA quarterly, Polygraph. But Matte now brings the dispute to Part II of his trilogy, where Krapohl is cast as the treacherous Peter Lofleur. The following scene is set at the American Polygraph Association's 2001 seminar in Indianapolis (pp. 258-60):

Quote:
...Upon his return to the seminar where more than five hundred polygraphists were assembled to attend various lectures for a five-day period, Markham came across an old friend named Roy MacFee, a burly man whose blond hair had turned mostly gray. MacFee was a former OSI Agent and senior instructor at DoDPI who had since resigned to accept a position with the Department of Justice. Markham related to MacFee his conversation with Loefler.

You know Jim, we've been friends for a long time but I never did tell you why I resigned from DoDPI," said MacFee.

"No, you never did," replied Markham who had always been curious about his sudden resignation but instinctively knew better than to ask such a personal question. But now he awaited his explanation with great curiosity.

You might call it loyalty, Jim, but when you don't agree with what your boss or agency is doing, you don't criticize, you just leave, and that's what I did. However, what I can tell you is that Peter Loefler is a most ambitious man. He's vying for the directorship of DoDPI. In spite of great reviews by the APA and other professional organizations, and its use in accredited polygraph schools world-wide, your textbooks have been relegated to the DoDPI library where they sit dormant. I suspect that the reason for its non-dissemination to students is due to DoDPI's disagreement of statements you made regarding the value of certain systems they use and the computerized polygraph systems' algorithm," said MacFee. "You are his favorite target, Jim."

"I always wondered how a man so uninformed and limited in his knowledge of polygraph techniques being taught in the private sector which is where most prevalent techniques were developed, could have reached a faculty position within the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute," said Markham.

"It's the Peter Principle, Jim, no pun intended," replied MacFee. "Canadian Sociologist, Lawrence Peter theorized that people are promoted to the level of their incompetence and remain there."

"And we have to suffer the consequences. Nevertheless, I never thought I was a threat to this man or DoDPI, but apparently from what you and others have told me, he wishes to dominate the polygraph profession by the removal of his perceived competitors," said Marham [sic] pensively. "That's pretty sad and hard to believe."

"Jim, he wants DoDPI to set the standards and rules of practice for all polygraphists, both government and private, throughout the United States with him as the eventual Director and King of Polygraph, and in order to accomplish this, he has to discredit those currently at the top of the ladder who stand in his way, and you, the most published author of textbooks on polygraph, are at the top of the list," said MacFee.

"You know, Roy, I think Loefler is merely an ambitious man who seeks standards with a fanaticism that allows no room for compromise that would protect its innocent victims," said Markham. "If only he would recognize the value of polygraph techniques and knowledge existing outside of DoDPI and respect the scientific contributions made by pioneers such as Cleve Backster, we'd all benefit."

"Good God, Jim. Take off your rose colored glasses. Loefler is to you what Salieri was to Mozart," replied MacFee.

Markham knew what MacFee meant as he was familiar with the depressing story, but he remained quiet, thus MacFee felt compelled to explain and Markham was too polite to interrupt him.

"Antonio Salieri was the court composer to Emperor Joseph II. When Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart arrived at the Emperor's court in Vienna, Austria, Salieri was appalled to discover that the heavenly musical gifts he desired for himself had been bestowed on a vulgar, mischievous prankster. Mad with jealousy and resentment, he set about to destroy Mozart by any means, and that's what Loefler is trying to do to you, because you've caused him much embarrassment at committee meetings when you've successfully challenged his proposals with sound research and valid arguments that he could not refute and you seem to be the only person that dares to challenge him. He's envious of your knowledge and accomplishments, Jim, and like Salieri, he'll use whatever subterfuge the devil will provide him to cause your demise."

"That sounds ominous," replied Markham.

"Loefler has fooled a lot of people with his sanctimonious rhetoric except those who've learned to recognize the devil's disguises," said MacFee....

Don Krapohl is not the only one doing the devil's dirty work. In Part III, at p. 71 there is an organization called the "Society to Protect People's Rights" that is in league with Satan (I'm not making this up!) that files a lawsuit challenging compulsory polygraph screening being made a condition of probation for sex offenders on the ground that it is unreliable. Markham's friend, polygrapher Joe Sahara, says to him:

Quote:
"...We submitted as evidence in court your textbook Forensic Psychophysiology Using the Polygraph as the authoritative text used in accredited polygraph schools throughout the world and specifically chapter three which cites all of the analog and field studies supporting the validity and reliability of polygraph examinations. The lawyers for the Society to Protect People's Rights were now placed in the position of having to discredit the textbook and the only way they could do that was by discrediting its author, you my friend. So they went after your credentials and they submitted to the court the fact that you got your doctorate from Columbia Pacific University which in 2001 was exposed as an unaccredited degree mill and its license to practice in the State of California was revoked. Therefore, they claim that you're a fraud and your textbook was self-published because it wasn't good enough to be published by a traditional publisher; hence it was not a learned text. What they're saying is that the court should not consider any of the contents of your textbook, especially regarding the validity and reliability of polygraph," said Joe. "So Jim, you see my dilemma, can you help me?"

"Yes I can. Obviously this was the only tactic available to them and they took it. I have in my computer in my boat various files containing photos of my diplomas, transcripts, certificates and other documents that will provide you with all of the ammunition necessary to successfully combat these allegations...."

The fictional judge in the case rules that Markham's (Matte's) doctoral degree from the unaccredited Columbia Pacific University is legitimate, that his book is admissible as evidence,  that "polygraph examinations...produce valid and reliable results," and that polygraph screening may be made a condition of probation. The forces of Satan thus suffer a serious setback.

Matte, it would also seem, think's he's hot stuff. In Part III, at p. 133,  Markham is aboard his yacht with a female friend, Charlotte:

Quote:
"Would you like to take the helm Charlotte? I'll give you a few lessons on how to sail," said Markham....

"No thanks, James. I love just watching you in action," replied Charlotte who envisioned a different kind of action that was arousing her libido with thoughts of fellatio, her sexual preference over traditional intercourse due to her small stature, but fondness for large male genitals which had earned her the name of sword swallower by one of her lovers. 'I'm not going to let any man fornicate me repeatedly; once a night is all that I'll allow' she had informed more than one lover, but she would gladly perform oral sex, 'till they dropped to their knees' she had told them. Charlotte's life experience had convinced her that men were primordial beings with bestial needs that lacked any appreciation for love and romance, thus waste not the effort. But as she gazed upon Markham's physique and handsome head she reveled in her lascivious thoughts about this hunk of a man whose singular life on a sailboat was pure madness which she hoped to change."

For a glimpse of Matte's "physique and handsome head," see the back cover of the book. One suspects that the preceding passage reveals more about Matte's own sexual fantasies than those that he inspires in women...

In the climax of the story, the hero Markham (Matte) polygraphs the Antichrist, who has taken the bodily form of a United States Senator. Although the Antichrist has been trained in countermeasures, he can't pull the wool over the good Christian Markham's eyes, and he fails the polygraph. During a post-test interrogation, Markham, realizing that he is in the presence of evil, produces a golden crucifix that he is wearing around his neck. The Antichrist, seeing red, furiously grabs the cross, whereupon he (the Antichrist) promptly drops dead. Hallelujah!
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2007 at 11:33pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: James Allan Matte's Trilogy, The Caul
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 2:37am
George,

A BS story, based on a BS machine, with BS fantasies, from a BS PHD. Lets see,  that adds up to (4x) the BS.
And if you buy the book, then thats just another sucker duped out of his money. Does the cliche "LEGEND IN HIS OWN MIND" ring true here somehow. Full of himself I think he is !!!

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 3:37am
Hmmmmmm......according to Matte's book cover, he was a "Commissioned" Special Agent with the US Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID).   And after retiring, spend the next three decades as a civilian polygrapher.

Well, that is interesting, given the following:

1.  The US Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID) did not come into existence until, I think, 1971!  Was Matte a "CID" agent before or after that time? 

2.  Special Agents in the Army CID are NOT Commissioned Officers.  Commissioned Officers in the Army CID are Office Commanders and Executive Officers (Administrative type duties and adminisration/executive type positions) that do not conduct investigations or conduct polygraph examinations.  Those duties are left to enlisted "Special Agents" and Warrant Officer "Special Agents."  Warrants Officers were being commissioned starting about 20 years ago.

I think Mr Matte has a very vivid imagination.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 4:11am

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #4 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:53pm
It isn't directly related to polygraphy "science", but the part of his story about Salieri and Mozart is purely fictional.  That story was created in the recent movie "Amadeus".  It was nothing like that in reality.

I mention this because it demonstrates how easy it is to accept something spoken repeatedly as truth.  e.g., polygraphic lie detection as a science.

IP Logged

James Allan Matte's Trilogy, The Caul

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X