Normal Topic Challenge to Retired CIA Polygrapher John Sullivan (Read 8165 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Challenge to Retired CIA Polygrapher John Sullivan
Mar 16th, 2007 at 12:34pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
John Sullivan, in the introduction to his book, Gatekeeper: Memoirs of a CIA Polygrapher Examiner (now scheduled for release in April 2007 according to the publisher) writes, among other things:

Quote:
     Shortly after my book Of Spies and Lies came out, I went back to Long Island, New York, for a class reunion. The brightest guy in my class offered to bet me that he could “beat” me on a polygraph test. My usual answer to such queries is, “Polygraph isn’t a parlor game and running tests as part of a bet trivializes my work.” But this time, I made him the following offer: “I’ll run a test on you, but we will do it the way it is really done. What that means is that you put up some serious money. If I can catch you in a lie, the money is mine.” In a real test an examiner’s ego may be bruised if he is beaten on a test, but the subject has the most to lose.

“Here is the test I will conduct. On a sheet of paper, I will write the numbers from 1 through 10, and ask you to circle one of the numbers between 3 and 8, without telling me which number you circled. I will then ask you ten questions, each beginning with have you circled number 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.? Number 1, 2, 9 and 10 are ‘dead’ numbers. You are to answer each of my questions with a ‘No.’ One answer will be a lie. If I identify the number you circled, you have to pay me the money. That’s the way it is in the real world of polygraph. The pressure is on you, not me.” My classmate declined to take me up on my offer.

I will accept your offer, Mr. Sullivan, provided we both put up serious money. If you can't divine the number I circled, I take the money. If you succeed, you take it. Your nominal odds of success are 1 in 6, the same as those of taking home the grand prize in Russian roulette.

While you maintain that "polygraph isn't a parlor game," the wager you offered your classmate resembles nothing so much as a parlor game. You were less than honest when you told your classmate that the numbers test you described is "the way it is in the real world." The procedure you described is a seldom-used Peak of Tension test (POT). The great majority of polygraph examinations administered in the "real world" by agencies such as the CIA are of either the Control Question Test (CQT) or Relevant/Irrelevant (R/I) variety. Polygraphers like to use the POT for public demonstrations because 1) it has a better chance of succeeding than an actual lie test of the CQT or R/I variety and 2) it doesn't disclose the trickery on which the CQT depends.

So what say you, Mr. Sullivan? Are you game? I say the pressure would be on you, not me.
« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 12:58pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Re: Challenge to Retired CIA Polygrapher John Sull
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:10am
To all viewers: George M. has demonstrated again that his professed expertise in the field of polygraph is very hot and rancid air. Wink

The P.O.T. (Peak of Tension) test IS an R&I (Relevant/Irrelevant) test--which IS OFTEN used in the field of applicant screening by many agencies---and to a lesser degree by clinical polygraph examiners as a precursor to single issue tests. The "dead numbers" (1,2,9,10) that the examiner is referring to are the "irrelevant" questions and the picking pool are the "relevant" questions. sigh.  Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 2:48am
Palerider:

You write in part:
Quote:
... The P.O.T. (Peak of Tension) test IS an R&I (Relevant/Irrelevant) test--which IS OFTEN used in the field of applicant screening by many agencies---and to a lesser degree by clinical polygraph examiners as a precursor to single issue tests. The "dead numbers" (1,2,9,10) that the examiner is referring to are the "irrelevant" questions and the picking pool are the "relevant" questions. sigh....

Nonsense.  The Peak of Tension (POT) test is a poorly constructed Guilty Knowledge/Concealed Information Test.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 3:27am
I wouldn't call it poorly constructed---just very simple and effective. In the field, many examiners refer to all of the pot's, spot's, and gkt's as forms of R&I. What's nonsense is your high brow attempt at stating otherwise. Have you ever even ran a p.o.t. on anyone other than a zit-faced volunteer---or even more than 76 tests in your career? Any damn fool can burn down a barn. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 5:00am
Palerider,

You write in part:
Quote:
...In the field, many examiners refer to all of the pot's, spot's, and gkt's as forms of R&I....

Sorry, but that is just plain wrong, and my telling you so has nothing to do with building or burning barns.  The former group of tests (again varying widely in effective construction) are information-based tests.  An RI test is perhaps the least sound of currently practiced (even dismissed decades ago  as unsound by parts of the lie detection community with the advent of control question testing ) lie tests.
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2007 at 5:23am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Costanza
New User

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 1:20am
Which one of you backed out?  Both Sulivan and Maschke sound like blowhards and shysters.

IP Logged

Challenge to Retired CIA Polygrapher John Sullivan

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X