Normal Topic So am I screwed? (Read 2304 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI-Reject
User

So am I screwed?
Feb 28th, 2007 at 12:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just had a second interview with a defense contractor.  They would like me to get a Secret clearance.  I have held a TS/SCI with polygraph in the past (yes, I "passed" with the first agency with no problems).

However, three years ago when I tried to move over to the FBI, I was "inconclusive" on two exams.  From a FOIA request, I found the first examiner believed I was using countermeasures, and then the second believed I wasn't a "suitable" polygraph candidate (no doubt because I was shell-shocked from the controversial first test).

So, I was denied employment with the FBI on "suitability" grounds.  However, I do have a letter from the FBI stating I was not denied a security clearance.

So here's my question -- this contractor is willing to have me start without having the secret clearance and then get it while I am working there.  But will my horrible FBI experience come back to bite to me and will I be denied a secret clearance based on what happened with the FBI?  My worry is that I would then lose my job with this contractor and be out on the street cold

It's serious stuff to me, because I would have to leave my current position in the private sector.  This seems both like a good opportunity and a tremendous risk, not knowing how this will affect my eligibility for a Secret clearance.

And to my two FBI polygraphers -- I would like to say thanks for leaving a question mark over my head for the rest of my career after the three cumulative hours you spent with your "wizardry".

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: So am I screwed?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 1:57pm
FBI-Reject,

To grant a Secret clearance, a National Agency Check will be conducted. This check will reveal that you have an FBI file, and that file will be requested and reviewed, and the adjudicator will no doubt see your polygraph reports. I cannot say with an certainty how much weight will be given to these reports, but your FBI polygrapher's written opinion that you employed countermeasures certainly won't help matters. The Army Central Clearance Facility adjudicator who revoked my security clearance speculated, based on my FBI polygraph report (I "failed" all relevant questions), "Could subject be the operative in an international spy ring or a courier for a drug cartel?"

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FBI-Reject
User

Re: So am I screwed?
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2007 at 5:44pm
Thanks.  I guess I just got reminded why I left the whole system after my FBI experience.  The really crappy part is all of my relevant experience up to that point required a clearance, so I from time to time get these opportunities.

I am by no means the absolute best and brightest, but I wonder how many intelligent, capable people the system (government and contractors that require clearances) lose because of polygraphs.

Last question -- do you think elapsed time might make a difference.  It's been three years.  Not too long.  But say in 15 years -- I assume my FBI file will follow me into eternity, but would an adjudicator take into account that whatever happened was a long time ago?

IP Logged

So am I screwed?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X