Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) 2 polygraphs from same county (Read 14074 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Re: 2 polygraphs from same county
Reply #15 - Feb 25th, 2007 at 10:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
palerider wrote on Feb 25th, 2007 at 4:39pm:
Digi, I would respect your posted opinions if you didn't commit grammitical errors, and than raise your browe at mine. READ YOUR POSTS AND AIM THAT ELITIST EDITING AT YOURSELF. Christ, it's a goddamn web board, not a board of acedemics. It is clear that you have a hard-on for examiners (to use a 1950's phrase) and that you are incapable of having casual discourse. It must be very difficult being your friend or partner. It is not a requirement to be both anti-polygraph, and anti-social on this site, although it's not uncommon. That being said, I have seen "anti-dudes" in this realm who are of solid personality---despite my professional disagreement.

Your self importance is derived from your inability to accept that a statement of facts should require you to modify your opinion. Sex Offender containment officials sans Examiners do not vest the safety of our children with the results of a polygraph test, period. As far as we are concerned, 99% accurate would not be enough (I have 3 children of my own) to look away---much less 86-93% which is the more commonly held accuracy range for multi-issue tests. Your self importance comes from the fact that like a certain president, you seem to ignore facts and go with your "gut." Your gut is filled with organs and shit.

I'm sorry polygraph didn't serve your direct needs. Some stories regarding polygraph shortcomings make rational people desire to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Why is it that you polygraph people cannot argue without resorting to ad hominem attacks, appeals to emotion, and other logical fallacies?

Quite simply, I very rarely go with my "gut" on anything because I know that I have cognitive biases and I know I can be wrong. So I research things and what I've found about the polygraph is that given the bulk of research the CQT polygraph is a deeply flawed procedure that cannot reliably detect deception. Since it has no validity, it can't have any reliability and is therefore a dangerous prop if its relied on for anything more than inducing confessions from the gullible...

As for your overblown statements of accuracy regarding multi-issue tests, they are garnered from the pro-polygraph literature and the majority of that literature is not published in acceptable peer-reviewed journals nor could it meet the research standards of either the National Institute of Health or the National Science Foundation. I'll also stand by the National Academy of Science conclusion that the CQT polygraph has no validity and as such, it cannot have a high degree of accuracy in any screening application...

Can you refute the NAS study with anything other than your own experience? Are they all elitist snobs too?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box palerider
Senior User

Re: 2 polygraphs from same county
Reply #16 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 1:51am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Yawn. Please research the concept of "ground truth" within the proper parameters of polygraph research, and while you're at it, please research the empirical differance in field studies of polygraph versus "mock crime" staging and the subsequent disparities in arousal magnitudes. You have a very large paint brush when you dispense your opinions on polygraph. It is a sign of scientific prejudice. NAS type of studies are similar to zoologists studying animals in captivity under the guise of studying "wildlife."

My use of the word "elitist" was a sardonic referance to your grammer and spelling remark. Your critical remarks of what is supposed to be a web-shorthand-style of communication is the opposite of elite. I didn't realize I was dealing with Monk.

IP Logged

2 polygraphs from same county

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X