Normal Topic Is there a time limit for an appeal? (Read 1985 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Indiana73
User

Is there a time limit for an appeal?
Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:26pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
A month ago I was told I failed my poly exam.  I asked about appeal and was told to wait for a letter.  No letter has come.  I am going to call the man who told me I failed and to wait for the letter to ask what is happening, but I have a fear that there is a time limit involved for an appeal....is there?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: Is there a time limit for an appeal?
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 3:21am
Indiana73,

If you just took the polygraph exam 30-days ago, the official letter confirming you passed or “were not within acceptable parameters” probably has not had time to get to you yet. It took my official letter from the FBI about five weeks to arrive. They don’t get in any hurry to get you the letter.

Did the polygraph examiner tell you that you failed the polygraph exam... and if so, did he subject you to a post test interrogation? A post test interrogation is not a good sign following a polygraph exam.

Personally, I would not mail the appeal letter until you have received the letter to confirm your suspicions, however. I think it would be prudent to proceed with writing the letter, just to have it ready to mail. 

Out of curiosity, how do you know for certain that you failed the polygraph exam? Did the polygraph examiner tell you that you failed? 

v/r
triple x

IP Logged

User

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 3:51am
A few days after the exam, I was called by the head of HR at the field office where I took the exam.  She said I passed.  A few days after THAT, I received a message at work to call someone at the FBI, a man who told me that what I had been told was not the "official" results, which was that I failed.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 4:11am
Indiana73,

I find it odd that someone from the FBI claiming to be the "head of HR" would call you. The FBI usually relies on OPM or their legal department to rule on most matters internally and externally. 

ASACS, Unit Chiefs, and Section Chiefs make most of the decisions depending on the specific field office and geographical location in question. In larger areas such as NY or LA, matters can be referred to an Assistant Director if the ASAC decides not to rule on the issue.

In the case of a pre-employment polygraph exam with the FBI... it is usually the applicant coordinator that contacts the candidates to schedule a polygraph, medical exam, drug screening, etc. Not the "head of HR."

Regardless of who contacted you, I suggest that you wait until you receive the official letter from the bureau confirming your suspicions. At that point, I would send the letter of appeal to the appropriate recipients.

v/r
triple x

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 11:25am
The first person who called me and said I passed was the same person who I had met with at that office and given me medical paperwork, etc.  I believe she was the senior person in the personnel dept there.  The man I talked to on the phone from work was an "applicant coordinator."

IP Logged

Is there a time limit for an appeal?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X