Normal Topic CVSA took my Job (Read 2857 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box chobee36co
New User

CVSA took my Job
Jan 30th, 2007 at 5:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Embarrassed Embarrassed, I am a Law Enforcment Officer in Florida, I have been on the job for over 7 years. I was accused of an on duty policy violation in which I may lose my certifcate. I did not violate any policies or was I any where around the incident when it occured. I gave my statement and was suspended without pay. I stayed on suspension for 17 days. I was given three options 1. refuse to take CVSA and be terminated, 2. take the CVSA and if I failed I would be terminated or 3. confess to the crime and see what happens. I could not confess to something I had NO part of, I was not involved. There are two people stating I was involved only after they changed thier statements four times. The CVSA operator had tested the two accusors one week before me and I heard they had passed. How could they pass if they're lying, and how was operator going to pass me after they passed. According to my own research this is a stress test, I have been stressed for 17 days wondering what was going to happen! I have tried to research studies on the CVSA but unable to find complete studies, I have found many opinions of the studies. I am appealing the termination and will go infront of a board of my peers. I want to present entire studies and have several exapmles stating that the CVSA was wrong and not a valid test. I want to prove it is wrong more than it is right. Can anyone help me protect my family, my reputation and my career?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Re: CVSA took my Job
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:55am
Contact the American Polygraph Association (www.polygraph.org). ; They have research results available regarding CVSA validity.

Good luck...

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:45pm
The following research papers from various Journals and Periodicals clearly document the lack of validity and reliability of voice stress.  

Brenner, M., Branscomb, H. H., & Schwartz, G. E. (1979). Psychological stress evaluator - Two tests of a vocal measure. Psychophysiology, 16 (4), 351-357.

Cestaro, V. L. (1995). A Comparison Between Decision Accuracy Rates Obtained Using the Polygraph Instrument and the Computer Voice Stress Analyzer (CVSA) (Report No. DoDPI95-R-0002). Fort McClellan, AL- Department of Defense Polygraph Institute.

Cestaro, V. L. (1996). A comparison of accuracy rates between detection of deception examinations using the polygraph and the computer voice stress analyzer in a mock crime scenario. (Report No. DoDPI95-R-0004). Fort McClellan, AL- Department of Defense 

Cestaro, V. L., & Dollins, A. B. (1994). An analysis of voice responses for the detection of deception (Report No. DoDPI94-R-0001). Fort McClellan, AL- Department of Defense Polygraph Institute.

Horvath, F. (1978). An experimental comparison of the Psychological Stress Evaluator and the galvanic skin response in detection of deception. 

Horvath, F. (1979). Effect of different motivational instructions on detection of deception with the Psychological Stress Evaluator and the galvanic skin response.

Horvath, F. (1982). Detecting deception: The promise and the reality of voice stress analysis. Journal of Forensic Sciences, 2, 340-351. 

Janniro, M. J., & Cestaro, V. L. (1996). Effectiveness of detection of deception examinations using the computer voice stress analyzer.

Kubis, J. F. (1973) Comparison of voice analysis and polygraph as lie detection procedures (Contract DAD05-72-C-0217). U.S. Army Land Warfare Laboratory, Aberdeen Proving Ground, M.D.

Long, G. T., & Krall, V. L. (1990). The measurement of stress by voice analysis. Journal of social behavior and personality, 5(6), 723-731.

Lynch, B. E., & Henry, D. R. (1979). A validity study of the Psychological Stress Evaluator. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 11 (1), 89-94.

Nachshon, I., & Feldman, B. (1980). Vocal indices of psychological stress- A validation study of the Psychological Stress Evaluator. 

Nachshon, I. Elaad, E., & Amsel, T. (1985). The validity of the Psychological Stress Evaluator. 

O’Hair, D., & Cody, M. J. (1987). Gender and vocal stress differences during truthful and deceptive information sequences.

Palmatier Study The Validity and Comparative Accuracy of Voice Stress Analysis

Podlesny, J. A., & Raskin, D. C. (1977). Physiological measure and the detection of deception.

Shipp, T., & Izdebski, K. (1981). Current evidence for the existence of laryngeal macrotremor and mictrotremor.

Suzuki, A., Watanabe, S., Taheno, Y., Kosugi, T., & Kasuya, T. (1973). Possibility of detecting deception by voice analysis. Reports of the National Institute of Police Science, 26, 62-66.

Timm, H. W. (1983). The efficacy of the Psychological Stress Evaluator in detecting deception. Journal of Police Science and Administration, 11, 62-68.

Waln, R. F., & Downey, R. G. (1987). Voice stress analysis- Use of telephone recordings. Journal of Business and Psychology, 1, 379-389.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 4:43am
yankeedog,

Point taken...

triple x

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:07pm
Cheesy Thank you yankeedog Cheesy. Do you have anymore studies? I also need some case law in reference to not being able to use CVSA

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2007 at 1:47am
Chobee - I sent you a private message

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:14pm
yankeedog I did not get a email. how can I recieveyour message

IP Logged

CVSA took my Job

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X