Normal Topic Need some advice. (Read 1814 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bradrazorfed
New User

Need some advice.
Jan 15th, 2007 at 7:47pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I work for a painting business and we recently painted a doctor's office in town. Well to make a long story short, a laptop come up missing and we all agreed to take a lie detector test if need be.  Well, here is my request for advice, I am naturally a nervous person no matter what the situation and especially nervous when under the gun.   I know in my heart that I had nothing to do with the theft and I am scared that because of my nervousness that I am going to fail the test and the charges of theft will go in my direction.  I mean, I have been pulled over for speeding before and the cop ask to search my car just because I seemed really nervous.  Granted he didn't find anything in my car, but my nerves put me in that situation.  So what I am really asking is how can I get over my nervousness and pass this thing because I don't want to be charged/blamed for something I had nothing to do with.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Re: Need some advice.
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 8:08pm
The problem with the polygraph is that it is a crapshoot. Different personality types, different examiners, and other uncontrollable factors can lead to an incorrect result. Your general level of nervousness doesnt really affect the test so much, as EVERYONE is really nervous before their polygraph. Especially the first one. 

Might you fail the test even iff you didnt have anything too do with the theft? Yes you might. Or you may pass. What are the odds? Noone really knows. The polygraphers will tell you over 90% accurate. Those of us who have had careers ruined by the magic box are far less optimistic.

Just remember this.....just as the magician DOESNT REALLY make a coin disappear, the polygraph DOESNT DETECT LIES. Read the material on this site if you want to understand how the test works and how they lie to you more than you will ever lie to them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2007 at 8:08pm
You'll find information on how to pass a polygraph examination in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (but you'll need to understand the material covered in Chapter 3 first).

However, because of the unreliablity of polygraphy, which is inherently biased against the truthful, I suggest that you refuse the polygraph if asked to submit to it. As used by police in criminal investigations, polygraph "testing" is often little more than a pretext for getting a suspect into an interrogation room without a lawyer present. In some cases, the "test" is rigged from the start, with the suspect's "failure" a foreordained conclusion.

If you seek a consultation with a lawyer now, you should be able to truthfully tell investigators that you are declining the polygraph based on your lawyer's advice.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2007 at 1:42am
I agree with George on one point, but not on another. I agree that you should get an attorney who knows his/her stuff. Any good, knowledgable attorney is going to tell you that taking a polygraph conducted on behalf of your employer is a bad idea. Now, sometimes the accused will commission their own polygraph examiner who will conduct a test in secret. If the accused passes that polygraph, then the pass is announced and proclaimed to the world, whereas if the accused fails, no one (usually) ever hears about it. If you pass THAT polygraph, then even if you somehow failed the one conducted by your employer's hired polygrapher, you can use one polygraph against the other, thereby negating anything negative.

I don't agree with George about reading The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and learning how to pass (beat) the polygraph. Countermeasures are as much of a crap shoot as some of these anti-polygraph people want you to believe the polygraph is.

In summary, if you're guilty, confess and take it like a man. If you aren't guilty, don't take the polygraph, but DO get a lawyer to back you up, and, as much as I hate to say it, DO reference this website because to the unexperienced the claims on this website are as credible as anything you'll hear from the pro-polygraph people, like myself. And if you are dumb enough to take the polygraph despite your attorney's advice, DON'T try countermeasures because if you are caught--even if you aren't guilty of the crime--you're sure going to look guilty.

IP Logged

Need some advice.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X