Normal Topic SF86 Question (Read 9073 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box asdf1234
New User

SF86 Question
Jan 6th, 2007 at 6:10pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have been offered a job with a Federal agency where I would have to complete an SF86.  Now I've never done anything illegal (or nothing that would come up on a criminal background check), perfect credit (no charge off's or late payments EVER) but I may have a problem with the employment section  Lips Sealed

And to boot it would be a top-secret clearance as well.  I've talked to a few other people and the only thing they knew about the top-secret clearance was that they send agents to your references and neighbors.

But as far as the employment, I had an old resume out-and-about on the Internet that a recruiter found and invited me to interview.  Problem is I expanded the dates I was actually employed with this one company.  And to make things worse I was actually involuntarily terminated from this job (a/k/a fired).  I mean at the interview I couldn't exactly tell them I started at a different date since they already pulled my resume off of the Internet.  And I certainly didn't want to tell them I was terminated!

I left that job a little over a year ago now so it's still relevant as far as the 10-year requirement and I also noticed there is a part in the employment section where they want you to list any place you have been involuntarily terminated.   

It's technically legal to lie on a resume but not on an application for employment since you sign it and therefore is a legal contract (which is why many places have you fill one out at least before the 2nd interview).  I never had to fill one out for this job.

I am pretty certain no one at my own agency would be performing the background check (it's not law enforcement) since ironically part of my job would be performing secret clearances on employees.

Do you think I should just be straight up on the SF86 even though it doesn't match my resume?  Does the agency that performs the check receive a copy of my resume when I submit the SF86?  Is there any way around this?  If I do list it how adversely do you think it would effect me?  I think I may be better off not accepting the job since I could get busted on the SF86 and then be out of a job completely.

Any help & insight at all is much appreciated!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Re: SF86 Question
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2007 at 8:53pm
You sound like a highly dubious candidate for performing secret clearances on employees based on what you've posted here.

I would think you would have to have an awful background investigator for them not to find out that you've been fired from a job.  If you lie about this on your SF86, you can forget about the job.

I would suggest the honorable and sensible thing to do would be to call up the agency and admit to what you have done and acknowledge that it was wrong.  Hopefully you will also be able to honestly add, that, beyond this issue, you are well-qualified for the position.  Presumably the agency can let you know if what you've done automatically disqualifies you.

I don't think you have any chance of covering this up, and the fact that you are contemplating covering it up speaks very poorly of you.  Be a man.

One of my former co-workers once asked by the government if he video-taped himself having sex with his wife.  If your issue was similar, I'd be 100% behind you telling the government to go shove it.  However, it is completely reasonable for the government to ask if you have ever been involuntarily terminated from a job.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: SF86 Question
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2007 at 7:49am
asdf1234,

There is not a person on this board who would advise you to  be dishonest when submitting information on the SF-86. If you are looking to be in a position of trust, then complete honesty is required in this matter. The reason they have the polygraph is because of people being less than 100% honest in this process. If this is a burden for you, then don't even consider this type of employment. You have a tough decision to make.  Make the right one, or don't even bother.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

SF86 Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X