Normal Topic Don't want to lie, but I want privacy (Read 6407 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box randomman
New User

Don't want to lie, but I want privacy
Dec 30th, 2006 at 10:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I will be taking a poly for employment with the SeeEyeAye in the future. I have done drugs one time in my life (pot a few years ago), so I'm not too worried there. My concern is that I will be asked questions about sexual topics that I do not want to discuss with a stranger. I don't want to lie, but I also do not want to tell a stranger anything about my sex life. I also want this job... 

I know that this agency uses lifestyle questions and can go into sexual topics. Does anyone know the rules of how or when they can ask sexual questions? Is there a limitation or way of avoiding the topic totally? I am no deviant. I'm just private. I read your manual and may chose to use CMs to guard my privacy. One concern I have is the folks doing the poly are professionals and have done maybe hundreds of tests. Will they see typical CM breathing patterns as obvious CMs and just fail me?

Thanks for the input. 

By the way...I knew nothing about polygraphs until two days ago, and I must say that this site has opened my eyes. The work you folks do here is great. Thank you.
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:24am by randomman »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Re: Don't want to lie, but I want privacy
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:23am
randomman,

You made the first steps to having the outcome of the polygraph come out in your favor, by reading TLBLD. They are going to have you sign a form saying that you will not use countermeasures during the polygraph. With practice (and I do mean practice, breathing, relaxing, mental exercises) you will beat the machine. But again its practice until the techniques are 2nd nature. Thats the only way they will not tell you are using any type of countermeasures, but I firmly believe they can't detect them anyways, especially if it looks like your normal body rhythm and routine. In my opinion any type of physical countermeasures stand the chance of being detected. The less moving parts the better. I practice the countermeasures every chance I get, day in day out. Now they are 2nd nature and just part of what I do. The other thing to remember is, that with the knowlege of the polygraph and it formats and procedures. The worst outcome possible is only inconclusive. Once you know that the whole process is a load of manure, you relax and can predict the questions and ploys used by the examiner. Which actually becomes quite humorous as you predict what is happening and what is coming. Especially when they come up with no admissions, then they jump to deception on their part to get something. Stick to your SF86 info and don't deviate. As far as your intimate details and sexual exploits, its none of their dam business. Keep it tight, and practice, practice, practice. And under no circumstances ever admit to having been to this website or having polygraph knowlege, the outcome will not be pretty.
Much success to you.  

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2006 at 1:45am
Excellent advice and thank you for the response. I have a significant amount of time until my test and I intend to practice extensively. I am going through this process and I am lucky that I have nothing to lose (so I am not really nervous or anxious) and I am actually looking forward to beating the test. It actually might be a little fun! After consulting with my significant other, I am certain that I will not release any sex related information. 

Does anyone have any more info on the format of the test specifically or ways to avoid questions that I do not want to answer?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lienot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2007 at 8:17am
I am sure the CIA is not interested in your sex life with your wife or significant other.  If you wish to optain that position, I would be honest, honest, honest and disregard the information regarding countermeasures, they will be detected.  Good luck in your quest

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 6:54am
LieNot,

If your so sure that they are detectable why even bother saying anything, or even bother being on this board. It gets to the point that countermeasures are not even needed, because deep down once you know that its a hoax, the flight or fight reaction never even comes into play. Law of diminishing returns, and the more knowlege the better, and if you have detected countermeasures, please by all means post your findings. But then again the Wizard of OZ, hates to come out from behind the curtain.  Knowlege and practice is the key to beating you. And this just fries you doesn't it. Because the best part is you have no idea just how many times you have been beaten !! 

Regards ...

--------------------------------------
randomman,

Beware of polygraphers bearing advice, and we know he will lie to you. Its his job, he is not your friend, and he is not there to help you.  Much success in your quest.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lienot
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 8:11am
Then let me change my opinion, use the countermeasures, it's only your future and your dream job, go for the gusto thanks to Eso, I'm sure you'll get there by lying your butt off.  Just what we need in the  CIA

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:07am
Quote:
Then let me change my opinion, use the countermeasures, it's only your future and your dream job, go for the gusto thanks to Eso, I'm sure you'll get there by lying your butt off.  Just what we need in the  CIA

LieNot,

Funny thing is, I no where in my post told him to lie. I specifically told him to stick to his information on his paperwork, no more, no less. And do please spare me on the morals and rightiousness of the CIA and the intelligence agencies. Its the old cliche',  "Intelligence - The worlds 2nd oldest profession, with fewer morals than the 1st". You may be able to BS these young pups, but don't try it on those of us who know better. Old age and experience, beats youth and skill everytime. All is fair in the game of life !! 

Regards ...
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:39am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 9:22am
I specifically said I don't want to lie and I also stated that I will not discuss my sex life in any way with the agency. Is this unreasonable? If they want me, fine. If not, fine too. What is not acceptable is telling irrelevant and private information to a stranger.

Additionally, guarding my privacy is not an ethical issue and I have no erronious beliefs that the agency is some pinnacle of ethics. I plan on being honest on my forms and backing everything I wrote up with an honest poly session. However, I am going to protect myself against a false positive poly result. With the poly folks staking claim to a 10% false positive rate, I would be a fool to place my future with blind faith in a flawed test.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #8 - Jan 2nd, 2007 at 11:44am
randomman,

With your last statements &  determination, you will be more than prepared and ready to control your own fate in the polygraph spaces, polygraphers be damned !! Do let us know how you do !! Again much success to you.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2007 at 6:01am
It pains me to observe these discussions of "countermeasures" and "lie detection".  You all shouldn't take your eyes of the brass ring.

The brass ring is that there is no such thing as a lie detector.  There also are no such things as countermeasures to lie detectors because there are no measures to counter!

Polygrapgh is simply an interrogation tool similar to shining a light into the suspects eyes, or claiming that their accomplice has already confessed in order to extract a confession.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2007 at 6:07am by ecchasta »  

IP Logged

Don't want to lie, but I want privacy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X