Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Beginning the process... (Read 11103 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Re: Beginning the process...
Reply #15 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 2:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Twoblock,

I increasingly like you.

Actually, it's ok to know about the polygraph. I know all about it, and I know that it still works on me despite my knowledge. But that doesn't mean I would get all caught up in the process if I were you. The more you mess around during the exam, the less likely you will pass, and the more likely it is that you will be discovered by a good examiner.

I agree that if the polygrapher is abusive in the manner that Twoblock has described, it is unacceptable. Criminal interrogation is one thing; abusively getting in the face of an applicant and treating him or her like a criminal is another. If that happens, don't put up with it.  However, if you truly have a criminal history and the polygraph reveals it to the examiner despite your lying, I have no sympathy for you, and then all bets are off.

My advice still stands: Just take the polygraph without trying any of the countermeasures crap touted on this website, and you should end up just fine as Zending did.

By the way, I'm still very doubtful about your story, Manus. You don't fit the profile of the average law enforcement job applicant, and something just doesn't smell quite right to my trained nose. If you come back here later and claim that you were a false positive--a rare outcome--then I won't be buying your oceanfront property in Arizona anymore.

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2006 at 4:31am by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Manus_Celer_Dei
New User

Reply #16 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 10:48am
If you say that it is not terribly detrimental to know about the examination process, then I have no reason not to believe you. I'll keep it in mind. But if my understanding of it is correct, it is possible to not acquire the desired "nervousness", especially if one knows what's occurring. I take it your argument is basically that the biological response to lying is far too engrained in the vast majority of individuals, and therefore cannot be avoided or overcome?

And as to your other point, I cannot specifically answer, but I have never stated that I am seeking employment as an LEO, but simply that I am seeking employment at a federal agency. While this could translate as a position in law enforcement, it may just as easily mean a position that requires security clearance, such as with the State Dept. in the foreign service where cooperation with the CIA or NSA is called for, or DARPA as a individual contractor. I hope you understand why I may wish to be vague.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 11:42pm
Manus does not speak like "an anti-polygraphy" zealot. He speaks like someone trained to understand the scientific process. He understands what a scientific control is, he understands statistics and so on. The fact that you relate common knowledge held by any  educated researcher at any level only to the "anti-polygraph" crowd only speaks to your level of ignorance, not anyone else's level of indoctrination.

I took the test 4 times, Manus, for the FBI. I was inconclusive on the first and failed the next 3. Each time I took the test I failed different questions than the time before.

Now that you know how the test works I advise you to completely divulge your level of knowledge to the polygrapher. Tell him the truth--that you were curious about the process found this site and read a bunch of literature and studies and you understand what a control question test is. If you fear a false positive because you understand that passing relies on simply 1 reaction to a question being higher than another, tell him so. You need to clear your mind to help your chances in my opinion. He may try to just lie to you and say this site is full of shit and run by folks who admitted to stuff. It isnt.

People may argue about the ethics of countermeasures and accuracy rates, but the info from the articles on this site is 100% accurate, the DODPi downloads and the Lie behind the Lie detector. I had a former FBI polygrapher spend 2 hours telling me how it worked and what he told me is exactly how it is described in the books on this site.

I would arso argue against "trying coutermeasures" unless you know the following....

1. what a "passing" chart looks like
2. The timing of the scorable reaction
3. What your attempts look like on a chart--in other words, how do you know your CM attempt produces a response that will look realistic--not too small, not too large, at the right time, with the correct amplitude, etc.

In short, Without a lot of knowledge and practice, CMs are a crapshoot if you are going in blind I think.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Dec 12th, 2006 at 11:53pm
Quote:

In short, Without a lot of knowledge and practice, CMs are a crapshoot if you are going in blind I think.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bill.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #19 - Dec 13th, 2006 at 10:59am
Quote:

I fully agree.

However, going in and telling the truth is a crapshoot too.  In my experience it results in a passing score only 25% of the time.  A smart player at the craps table has a better than 25% of winning.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous ętes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Dec 14th, 2006 at 3:53am
Sergeant,

I am sincerely interested to know about your polygraph failure. You said the examiner accused you of using cocaine. Why did your relevant drug question specifically focus on cocaine? That is highly unusual unless there is a reason why cocaine use was suspected at the exclusion of other illegal drugs, especially since marijuana is unquestionably a much more commonly used illegal drug.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polysuck
New User

Reply #21 - Dec 16th, 2006 at 6:58pm
Well, where do I start….after many police departments turned me down due to arrests and drug experimentation when I was 16/17 (I’m now “over 30”), I found a larger department that I really thought I had a chance with.  They looked past all the crap in my earlier years after a very successful military career, including just returning from Iraq with multiple awards.  Had the interview/polygraph last week and I was amazed.  The polygrapher said that I was trying to beat the test…I was spiking all over the place.  When I told him, “I was slowing my breathing down” and he asked “Why?”  I told him the truth, “because my heart felt like it was going to blow out of my chest and that’s the first thing you do with someone having an adrenaline rush, slow their breathing down so they maintain control”  He asked me if I ever researched how to beat a polygraph. Over and over and over…my answer still remains the same, “NO, NEVER”  Well, here I am today, now researching it LOL to find out WTH he was talking about”
“Well, my machine is telling me you’re trying to beat the test”
“Sir, I’m not”
“Well, it’s either that or you have something BIG you’re not telling me, causing you to spike across the whole test”
We hashed over the questions, even letting me read the sheet, showing which ones were designed to catch lies and the control questions….over and over again, he was “trying to help” me for an hour.   
It came down to, “Well Sir, it appears that unless I change my answer and tell you that I have researched how to beat the polygraph, I won’t be ‘passed’ and move on to the next stage.”
“I’m not saying that, I just want the truth”
“I am telling you the truth and although it might help me to say I have researched it, THAT would be a lie and I have too much integrity to do that”
Well, that ended the test and I had to see my background investigator.  He had me “sign off” for a few months, and I can start the process again.
I have more integrity than 99% of the cops I know, and have worked side-by-side with, including those in combat….so this crap really confuses the hell out of me and I’m totally frustrated.  They said there is no appeal process, etc.  and although I’ve been told by countless friends, that are totally amazed I didn’t breeze through (because unfortunately I’m one of the most honest people you’ll ever meet), to get a lawyer and fight it…why?  So I can be blacklisted for life?  No thanks…..
One last thing....i know that a background investigation takes up a lot of resources, but i would think this would be the perfect opportunity for them to use the background to find out that i really am a great candidate...maybe i'm just confused...who knows....but surely frustrated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box koban4max
New User

Reply #22 - Jan 16th, 2007 at 8:28am
polysuck wrote on Dec 16th, 2006 at 6:58pm:
Well, where do I start….after many police departments turned me down due to arrests and drug experimentation when I was 16/17 (I’m now “over 30”), I found a larger department that I really thought I had a chance with.  They looked past all the crap in my earlier years after a very successful military career, including just returning from Iraq with multiple awards.  Had the interview/polygraph last week and I was amazed.  The polygrapher said that I was trying to beat the test…I was spiking all over the place.  When I told him, “I was slowing my breathing down” and he asked “Why?”  I told him the truth, “because my heart felt like it was going to blow out of my chest and that’s the first thing you do with someone having an adrenaline rush, slow their breathing down so they maintain control”  He asked me if I ever researched how to beat a polygraph. Over and over and over…my answer still remains the same, “NO, NEVER”  Well, here I am today, now researching it LOL to find out WTH he was talking about”
“Well, my machine is telling me you’re trying to beat the test”
“Sir, I’m not”
“Well, it’s either that or you have something BIG you’re not telling me, causing you to spike across the whole test”
We hashed over the questions, even letting me read the sheet, showing which ones were designed to catch lies and the control questions….over and over again, he was “trying to help” me for an hour.  
It came down to, “Well Sir, it appears that unless I change my answer and tell you that I have researched how to beat the polygraph, I won’t be ‘passed’ and move on to the next stage.”
“I’m not saying that, I just want the truth”
“I am telling you the truth and although it might help me to say I have researched it, THAT would be a lie and I have too much integrity to do that”
Well, that ended the test and I had to see my background investigator.  He had me “sign off” for a few months, and I can start the process again.
I have more integrity than 99% of the cops I know, and have worked side-by-side with, including those in combat….so this crap really confuses the hell out of me and I’m totally frustrated.  They said there is no appeal process, etc.  and although I’ve been told by countless friends, that are totally amazed I didn’t breeze through (because unfortunately I’m one of the most honest people you’ll ever meet), to get a lawyer and fight it…why?  So I can be blacklisted for life?  No thanks…..
One last thing....i know that a background investigation takes up a lot of resources, but i would think this would be the perfect opportunity for them to use the background to find out that i really am a great candidate...maybe i'm just confused...who knows....but surely frustrated.

stick to ya guns and ya be okay.

IP Logged

Beginning the process...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X