Normal Topic My recent experience, help? (Read 4719 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Zending
New User

My recent experience, help?
Dec 7th, 2006 at 6:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
So I took my Polygraph test today, I also have another one in two days. I was brutally honest with the guy giving the test, and I told him the complete truth. I lied about nothing.

Frequently during the test, he'd release the arm-cuff and say we were taking a break, but the rest of the machine was working (breathing, neurological responses, etc.).

When the test was over, he asked what kind of martial arts I was into (I explained in my pre-interview when he asked about fighting, that the only fights I have gotten into were controlled ones for martial arts, sparring). 

Immediately, he started getting extremely adversarial with me. He started saying how some martial artists are fakes and phonies and garbage like that, and he accused me of controlling my breathing. He showed me my charts, how during the test my breathing stayed consistent, but when I released the arm-cuff and the questioning stopped, my amplitude(?) increased. The questioning started again and my breathing went back to normal.

He started saying how people who are controlling their breathing on purpose are trying to hide things, and kept asking me what I have to hide.

I admitted, yes, I was controlling my breathing. I was nervous, I wanted to remain calm. Then he proceeded to show me some lady's polygraph test (which I didn't understand anything of what it looked like,) who wasn't lying and what the breathing looked like. Was he just trying to extract a confession out of me? I didn't confess anything, because there simply was nothing that I was hiding! He said he'd look over it again (he was basically yelling at me the whole time, trying to be intimidating and not letting me get a word in), but he never directly told me that I passed or failed. I am confused and I have no idea what to think. He never pointed any specific questions out or anything. He also said that I shouldn't control my breathing on the next polygraph test, but he's not going to call the other guy and tell him. This is very discouraging as I have a polygraph test in two days for a department that will hire me for sure, if I pass. Please help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: My recent experience, help?
Reply #1 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 12:44pm
Your polygrapher's claim that people who control their breathing during a polygraph examination are trying to hide something is not necessarily true and is unsupported by research. This notwithstanding, many polygraphers consider controlled breathing to be a "countermeasure" and hence a sign of deception, and your polygrapher was indeed attempting to extract a confession from you.

Based on what you've written, I cannot venture a guess as to whether or not you passed. To be better prepared for your next polygraph examination, see Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which may be downloaded here:

https://antipolygraph.org/lie-behind-the-lie-detector.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 3:57pm
Zending,

As a polygrapher, I can tell you that the examiner was in fact trying to figure you out. For many polygraphers, any little thing that they don't understand is a possible countermeasure. But for polygraphers who really know what they are doing, it is common knowledge that an examinee's breathing is going to change at least somewhat between how it is during data collection and how it is between question sets. One of two things typically happens when the date collection begins: either the examinee will breathe more slowly because he or she is simply trying to relax during a nervewracking period, or the examinee will breathe more quickly because he or she doesn't know how to relax, and the nervewracking period accelerates the breathing. Once the data collection is over, the breathing typically goes back to the way it was previously. This is normal. Some examiners, however, will keep harping on the examinee that his or her breathing isn't right, thereby causing the examinee to focus so much on the breathing, that the focus on the breathing takes away from the focus being where it should be, which is on the questions.

For experienced examiners, it is only when the breathing pattern is just too good to be true, consistently throughout the exam, just on the control questions, that red flags are raised.

My advice to you is don't read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and then attempt to manipulate your breathing on the control questions. Just do what you always do when you try to relax without focusing on it too much.  Easy for me to say now that the examiner has made you self-conscious about your breathing, and George has made you think you have to manipulate it through countermeasures. If you have nothing serious to hide, chances are very good that you will pass the exam, despite what some people on this forum would have you believe. Sure, because the polygraph is not 100% accurate, there is the very slim possibility that a truthful person might run into problems during an exam. But don't let a few polygraph failures on this forum convince you that this is a very common occurrence.  Also don't let an examiner who may have good intentions put your focus on one physiological function that any good examiner knows is the least diagnostic of all the physiological channels being monitored.

Good luck on your exam.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 6:30pm
Quote:

there is the very slim possibility that a truthful person might run into problems during an exam.

so are you accusing our original poster of lying or admitting that he is one of the slims? Or are you going to say you don't know which means you feel there is a 98% chance he is lying based on your assumptions about polygraph accuracy.

I am one of those slims. I was accused of being a drug dealer. If you stand back and look at this situation, its  kinda stupid to be accused of "breathing the wrong way". If the polygrpah is so accurate and the reactions subconcious and uncontrollable, why do they care how you breathe? Thats why its called junk science. 

I remember being strapped in the chair. the procedure causes you to focus so much you find yourself very concious of your breathing and you automatically try to control it so as to remain calm. What a normal person considers a very natural thing to do to calm themselves, in the crazy world of polygraphy, this is considered an unethical, deceitful act and an insult to the examiner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Zending
New User

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2006 at 7:15pm
Hey, guys. I wanna thank you all for you quick responses. I'm not sure if I passed or not, I was just looking for some re-assurance. This whole ordeal was a traumatizing experience and this next test I have is giving me doubts. I guess I'll just do the same thing with the next test as I did with this one. I really need this job, and I've always wanted to be a police officer so this whole experience has rattled my cage a little bit.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2006 at 2:11am
You mean two exams in a week wasn't enough? Who do you plan to work for?--if you don't mind my asking. Some of the intelligence agencies regularly polygraph their people, and I really feel sorry for those unlucky bastards. I mean, how many polygraphs can someone take, and how long can they prove their integrity, before they are considered trustworthy enough not to take any more polygraphs?

Anyway, thanks again for listening to my advice instead of the "anti-" crowd's. It paid off for you as it has paid off for others.

IP Logged

My recent experience, help?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X