Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf (Read 9038 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf
Nov 19th, 2006 at 5:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
To all concerned,

This is a very interesting pdf presentation on the polygraph (validity), with indepth research and accompanying numbers to support it. It is given during one of the Graduate level courses PSYCH501 at the university. It speaks for itself.

Link: 
http://apsychoserver.psych.arizona.edu/JJBAReprints/PSYC501A/Lecture%204.pdf

For all of the polygraphers on board ..... Lets see some debate on this research,

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Re: University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 8:00pm
EosJ:

Thanks for the link.  It was interesting.  However, the powerpoint presentation alone is a bit difficult to follow.  Another case of "I guess you had to be there."  While reading the presentation, I wondered about these statements (in bold):

"Counter-countermeasures" worked to detect those using countermeasures: 80% of those using countermeasures could be detected by a blind analysis of EMG recordings, BUT such counter-countermeasures means rarely used in field polygraphy.

From my own experience and the most recent countermeaures courses taught by DoDPI and other reputable polygraph schools, this sounds about right.  By chart analysis alone, there is a high degree of detection for countermeasures simply because, when viewed by a competent examiner trained in the latest methods of analysis, it would be very rare to find an examinee who could perform countermeaures well enough for the data to appear natural.  This is what I was trying to explain to Dr. Richardson in another thread.  I agree that at this time--or at least at the time this University of Arizona presentation was conceived--most examiners in the field were either insufficiently trained or were unaware of the latest methods of "counter-countermeasures."  But that is changing, and I've seen it firsthand.

Brain Fingerprinting: 100% accurate in research on FBI agents, in research of Government Agencies, and field applications.

It is unclear in the presentation whether this statement is from some kind of advertisement of a proponent of ERP methods, or whether it is the presentation's author's conclusion.  But if this method is indeed 100% accurate, you "anti-" people may get your wish in the not-to-distant future with regard to the polygraph.  Of course, Government agencies would most likely simply send their polygraphers to ERP training and either use this method alone or, more likely, in conjuction with the polygraph.

Procedures that focus on recognition rather than emotional reactions associated with lying:

-Are more accurate overall
-Are much less vulnerable to false positive outcome
-Create guilty verdicts almost exclusively among the guilty.

What some people don't understand is that the polygraph, no matter which testing method is used (although admittedly even more so with the GKT), actually uses recognition as much or more than emotional reactions to determine whether an examinee is being deceptive regarding a particular issue.  This is why even with psychopaths, the polygraph works--the psychopath, while feeling no remorse or emotion for his crimes, nevertheless recognizes the greater significance of one issue/question over another.

These are just my thoughts as I read the presentation.  Thanks for the link.  Regards . . .

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 9:19pm
LBCB,

To the best of my knowledge, electromyography (EMG), referred to in the context of the study by Honts et al. cited at p. 39 of the above-linked PDF presentation, is not used as a polygraph counter-countermeasure by any federal (or non-federal) agency.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 10:30pm
Thanks, George.  I wasn't aware of that Honts study.  EMG actually has two types, one that is intra-muscular, and the other that is surface, and I think you are right that there is no Federal agency using either of them.

I think it goes without saying that the future holds something superior to the polygraph for lie detection, and I hope we see it within our lifetimes.  For now, we polygraphers are stuck with our less than 100% accurate instrument as long as it's the best thing going.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 10:45pm
LBGB,

The shortcomings of CQT polygraphy are rooted not in imperfections of the available polygraph instruments, but rather in the fact that the underlying methodology lacks any grounding in the scientific method.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:04pm
George,

As I have said before, we'll probably never agree on the validity, or lack thereof, for the CQT. Theory and counter-theory, and study and counter-study could be quoted and twisted to support either side of the argument.  As a polygrapher who actually uses the instrument in question AND the methods in question, I know that it works.  Scientific and pseudo-scientific studies aside, the damn thing simply works almost all the time.  Right now it's the best we can do, and in my experienced opinion, it's worth keeping around until a form of ERP or something else comes along to supplant it or add to it.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:24pm
LBCB,

I am willing to be convinced by scientific evidence that polygraph testing "works." I have no interest in twisting facts to support arguments I have made regarding the validity of polygraphy. I'm quite willing to be shown that I am in error. It is for this reason that this message board (unlike that at PolygraphPlace.com) is uncensored. But scientific evidence to support of the validity of polygraphic lie detection remains wanting. While I do not question your sincerity of belief, anecdotal evidence based on personal experience is ultimately unsatisfying. This is the same kind of evidence that is typically offered in support of such fantastic claims as alien abductions and faith healings.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:48pm
Have you ever been abducted by aliens or seen someone abducted by aliens, George?  Have you ever been the subject of faith healing or seen someone you knew personally was sick or injured healed by faith?  If not, then how can you ridicule the possibilities?  Why would anyone believe you when you have no experience with either?  Same thing with the polygraph.  You don't use it.  You failed it, yes, and I hope that your claims to have undeservedly failed it are true.  If so, then you are one of the tiny minority, and deserving of the apology you will probably never receive.  But you haven't used it, so all you have are questionable and controversial studies that most experts would tell you can not be accurately applied to real-world field conditions.  Some of those studies are overly critical of the polygraph, and some are overly supportive of the polygraph.  If I were in your position, perhaps I would do what you do by running this website.  However, I'm not in your position, and you aren't in mine.  I use the polygraph all the time, and so I know from experience that it works almost all of the time.  I can't convince you of that, but that's ok with me, just as it's probably ok with you that you can't convince me of some of your arguments either.  Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 6:59am
LBCB,

Have you ever read Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World?

In chapter 10, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection, Sagan writes "Spin more than one hypothesis. If there's something to be explained, think of all the ways in which it could be explained. Then think of tests by which you might sytematically disprove each of the alternatives. What survives, the hypothesis that resists disproof in this Darwinian slection among "multiple working hypotheses", has a much better chance of being the right answer than if you had simply run with the first idea that caught your fancy." (p. 210)

When I began researching the polygraph and lie detection, I didn't have a clue whether it really worked or not. Then as I began to read the literature, both pro- and anti-, the preponderance of the evidence (the NAS report was the final straw) began to fall on the anti- side and I became convinced that nature did not equip us with a singular physiological response that is associated with lying. Rather, the psychologists and physiologists were rather convincing in their detailed research that lying and its associated responses are too diffuse to adequately ever come up with a simple test for detecting deception. And as much as we would like to be able to adequately detect deception, we will never get there. You and the other polygraphers on the board hold onto your views not because you're inherently biased, but because you've invested so much of yourselves into your profession that you won't allow yourselves to "spin another hypothesis" that whatever you're seeing on the polygraph might be due to emotion, test anxiety, or illness rather than deception. 

You also keep bringing up the point that with the exception of Dr. Richardson, none of the anti- folk have used a polygraph. But that is misdirection because one needn't have experience in something to be able to read and discern the research and come to a rational conclusion about it. 

Your examples of aliens and faithhealing are also strawmen that support your misdirection fallacy. A better example would be if someone tells you that they have a surefire method for picking stocks, do you try the method first or do you research it? If you find that the preponderance of research shows that the method works no better than chance, would you still be willing use it? Do you need to be an economist or financier or understand econometrics to understand the basics? While it would help, not really. You just need to be able to think critically.

And when it comes down to it with CQT polygraph, the only hypothesis that survives is that it has no scientific basis on which to stand and is merely wishful thinking packaged in scientific sounding jargon sold to a credulous public.

One last thing, I've consistently been attacked on this board by polygraphers with ad hominem attacks (including you, remember the Gilligan remark?) and while I find it amusing, it does not serve you well to stoop those lengths. Please address the topic at hand as I'm not the topic, the CQT is. The only thing ad hominem attacks do is show that one cannot answer the question...

Regards,

digithead

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 12:55pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 20th, 2006 at 11:48pm:
Have you ever been abducted by aliens or seen someone abducted by aliens, George?

No.

Quote:
Have you ever been the subject of faith healing or seen someone you knew personally was sick or injured healed by faith?

No.

Quote:
If not, then how can you ridicule the possibilities?

I am merely pointing out that experiential claims for such purported phenomena as alien abduction and 
faith healing are uncorroborated by independent evidence, much like polygraphers' claims that they can detect polygraph countermeasures.

Just as Russell's teapot and the Flying Spaghetti Monster might be real phenomena, so too might alien abductions, faith healing, and polygraph countermeasure detection. But independently corroborable evidence is lacking for all.

Quote:
Why would anyone believe you when you have no experience with either?  Same thing with the polygraph.  You don't use it.

The fact that I don't use polygraphs is immaterial to my assertion that there is no proof that polygraphers can reliably detect countermeasures. If the polygraph community wants the public to believe that it can detect countermeasures, then the onus is upon it to prove that claim, and not on those who ask for proof to disprove it.

Quote:
You failed it, yes, and I hope that your claims to have undeservedly failed it are true.

They are.

Quote:
If so, then you are one of the tiny minority, and deserving of the apology you will probably never receive.

Given what is know about the unreliability of polygraphy, especially when used in a screening context, and what is known about the FBI's polygraph failure rate, which suddenly rose, as if by magic, from about 20% in the 1990s to about 50% post-9/11, the "tiny minority" of which you speak is likely considerably larger than you feel comfortable believing.

Quote:
But you haven't used it, so all you have are questionable and controversial studies that most experts would tell you can not be accurately applied to real-world field conditions.  Some of those studies are overly critical of the polygraph, and some are overly supportive of the polygraph.

Specifically what studies are overly critical of the polygraph? In what way?

Quote:
If I were in your position, perhaps I would do what you do by running this website.  However, I'm not in your position, and you aren't in mine.  I use the polygraph all the time, and so I know from experience that it works almost all of the time.  I can't convince you of that, but that's ok with me, just as it's probably ok with you that you can't convince me of some of your arguments either.  Regards.

You certainly can't convince me that the polygraph "works almost all the time" without more evidence than the assertion that you know this from experience.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:11pm
George,

Without wasting any further time trying to convince you or to respond to each and every statement you make, as you did with me, I simply want to thank you for the links to "The Flying Spaghetti Monster" and "Russel's Teapot," which also led me to "The Invisible Unicorn" and articles about Richard Dawkins.  I have always enjoyed religious parodies, as well as political satire, and you gave me some good laughs.   Cheesy  I laughed when I read how the "believers" of The Spaghetti Monster are known as "Pastafarians" (Pasta and Rastafarians, get it?), and they end their prayers with "RAmen."  Hilarious!

I recommend that other readers follow these links for some good humor, as long as they are open-minded enough to be comfortable with having their unfounded beliefs ridiculed.  It's a huge stretch to compare any of this to my personal experience with the polygraph, but I appreciate the attempt.

P.S. Sorry, Digithead.  I noticed your lengthy reply after I responded to George's.  I totally missed it.  You make some excellent points, and this is the best of your posts that I recall reading.   Very cogent and well-organized.  I must remind you, however, that the examples of aliens and faith healing were not mine, but George's, so they are his strawmen, not mine. Obviously I am not going to convince you of anything either by touting personal experience as a necessity when making a final judgment about the polygraph.  I also can't speak for the entire profession.  However, unless you've been there and used the polygraph day in and day out, you really can't give a final opinion that is completely credible.  Like you, I am a very skeptical person, so I need more than simply what other people tell me to finally convince me of certain things.  Experience has taught me that the polygraph, while imperfect, is a good tool in the hands of a good polygrapher, and is correct almost all of the time.  Again, that was a good post, and I really appreciate you taking the time.  You have finally earned a bit of respect from me, Digithead.  
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:55pm by LieBabyCryBaby »  

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 6:07pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 5:11pm:
It's a huge stretch to compare any of this to my personal experience with the polygraph, but I appreciate the attempt.

Claims of such things as alien abductions and faith healing may indeed be more fantastic than claims of polygraph countermeasure detection, but they are similar in that the public is asked to believe without anything more than unsupported anecdotal evidence.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:16pm
George,

When there exist positive studies supporting the polygraph and negative studies against the polygraph, I think experience tips the scale.  There is the lab, and then there is the real-world crucible where the real truth can be found.  The real world of polygraph examiners has shown us things that you can not see when you accept only those studies that support your own wishes.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:30pm
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 9:16pm:
George,

When there exist positive studies supporting the polygraph and negative studies against the polygraph, I think experience tips the scale.  There is the lab, and then there is the real-world crucible where the real truth can be found.  The real world of polygraph examiners has shown us things that you can not see when you accept only those studies that support your own wishes.

I take strong issue with your suggestion that I "accept only studies that support my own wishes" and note with satisfaction that who have examined the scientific evidence on polygraphy from arm's length, such as the National Academy of Sciences' Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, have reached conclusions similar to my own.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:47pm
Yes, George, and I take strong issue with you and your fellow "anti-" followers belittling actual experience in favor of things you've read.  And I take strong issue with those who discount studies that don't conform to their wishes or personal agenda.

IP Logged

University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X