Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf (Read 9047 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:05pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:47pm:
Yes, George, and I take strong issue with you and your fellow "anti-" followers belittling actual experience in favor of things you've read.

Why should I or anyone else accept your (anonymous) anecdotal accounts over peer-reviewed research?

Quote:
And I take strong issue with those who discount studies that don't conform to their wishes or personal agenda.

Do you believe that the National Academy of Sciences' Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph discounted studies that did not "conform to their wishes or personal agenda?" If so, please explain.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:08pm
Sorry, but I thought I might jump in here.  George is making a particular point-namely, that the polygraph's "underlying methodology lacks any grounding in the scientific method."  This is supported by the National Academy of Sciences.   

LBCB, your response consists of "But I conduct polygraphs all the time, and I know they work!"  That may well be so, but you are simply not responding to George's (or the NAS' for that matter) contention, namely that the polygraph's "underlying methodology lacks any grounding in the scientific method."   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:09pm
Because the peer-reviewed research you are always citing can not be accurately applied to the real-world, George, as even the NAS admits.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:18pm
That's because in the real world, one cannot control for all of the possible confounders, problems, and interference that might exist. Whereas in the laboratory, one can potentially control for these factors. Ergo, one cannot expect the polygraph to have any more accuracy outside the laboratory than it does inside a laboratory...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LieBabyCryBaby
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:23pm
Digithead,

Whether a polygraph is conducted in the lab with mock crimes and let's-just-pretend scenarios and disinterested examinees OR in the real world, the conditions should be the same. Unless you are conducting your real-world exam under the take-off/landing area of an airport, for example, the environment should be similar. The difference, as the NAS admits, is that the lab setting can not accurately imitate the real world incentives or fears that an examinee faces in the real world. I see the real world all the time, not the lab world, so I base my knowledge on what I see, as well as studies that support what I see every day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 3:42am
Except that in a real world situation, all fears are accentuated both for the nervous but guilty and the nervous but innocent. How can CQT distinguish between them? And in assessing accuracy, you have no baseline on which to compare them unless they confess. I'll ask you the same as I've asked others, do you know what your false negative rate is? Until you can answer that, your assessment of your accuracy is overinflated...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #21 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 6:20am
LBCB,

I have sat back and watched this thread develop for a few days and noted the key point that your experience is the discriminator by which you judge all things. I do not diminish your experience as by far your one of the few polygraphers to actually come in here and debate and openly support your beliefs. This being said, I believe that  you have not come up against someone of intellect, gile and audacity. Maybe you have, and they just caved in and went along with the program. But by my estimates, inconclusive after inconclusive is as good as a pass. Because the law of dimishing return kicks in after about 3 polygraphs. The shock and fear are gone, and if they have researched the polygraph coming in, it is greatly reduced. And like in chess, stalemate works. THe reason this works is the more polygraphs taken the more familiar to the box you become. And from experience, once you have lost the fear, the only outcome is inconclusive. This forces the decision to be made outside of the polygraph suite. Because no matter how many polygraphs a person is given, inconclusive defeats it. Eventually a decision has to be made and it won't be made by the polygrapher. Which removes any of the power that you may have had. Inconclusives reflect badly on the examiner, not the examinee. I would think that by the time a 3rd polygraph is inconclusive you would suspect that its not going to work for this subject.  And if it doesn't work, it is effectively defeated, with no ramifications to the examinee.  You should look up Neutralization theory. I highly suggest it. But then again a pass could happen too. There is no downside on this scenario, except for frustrating the polygrapher, which could be highly entertaining. 

Regards ....
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2006 at 6:49am by EosJupiter »  

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 10:09am
LieBabyCryBaby wrote on Nov 21st, 2006 at 11:09pm:
Because the peer-reviewed research you are always citing can not be accurately applied to the real-world, George, as even the NAS admits.

Indeed, the executive summary of the NAS report notes that results of the 57 laboratory and field studies reviewed "cannot be expected to generalize to practical contexts." But it goes on to note that "[e]stimates of accuracy from these 57 studies are almost certainly higher than actual polygraph accuracy of specific-incident testing in the field."

Thus, your observation that peer-reviewed research "cannot be accurately applied to the real world" does not provide a convincing rationale for why anyone should accept your "argument from experience" that polygraph accuracy is actually higher than what the research would suggest over this contrary conclusion of the NAS report.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #23 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 4:59pm
LBCB,

In regards to your remark about "opinions" of the validity of the polygraph, this is not really an area that is simply subject to one's opinion. For any sort of procedure that purports to be scientific, it must have some sort of internal validity. Given the fact that so much of the polygraph results can be affected by the set of control questions the polygrapher devises, the background and psychological issues of the testee, it is not possible to control for these variables from one test to the next. For this reason, the test has no validity. This is simply not a matter of opinion.

As for the anecdotal evidence of real world polygraphers, I think part of the issue here is one of selection bias. By the time a person is subjected to a polygraph in an actual investigation, they are in a very small pool of people,1 of whom is most likely guilty. I bet if for every crime you rounded up 100 random people, you would have a very hard time picking out the guilty one via polygraph testing alone. Contrast that with DNA testing for example. If i had DNA evidence I bet I could pick out the guilty party from 100 people time after time. Why? Because the DNA test has validity. It isnt affected by the testee's childhood experience, what he read on the internet, how skillful the tester is in jacking up the emotional state of the testee, and so on.

Tell me, LBCB, for any given crime where you get a polygrpah induced confession, how many people on average do you polygraph to find the guilty party?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box IDIOTSSS
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:30am
Ok I'm knew here so who the hell is george and why does he seem so all-knowing??

OH by the way George if you see this theres a pervert in the discarded posts section that could use your help. hes the "Scared and looking for help" or something like that.

can i call you G?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box day2day
New User

Reply #25 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 7:11am
Correct grammar and spelling is appreciated Idiot.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #26 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 9:55am
Quote:
Ok I'm knew here so who the hell is george and why does he seem so all-knowing??

I am one of the people who started this website and whom you -- by your own admission without even knowing who I am -- characterized as a "criminal" in an earlier post.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box IDIOTSSS
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 2:26am
But can i call you "G"?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #28 - Nov 24th, 2006 at 5:28pm
Polygraph examiners (like LBCB) provide anecdotal evidence based on their own experiences to support their claims that the polygraph is accurate and useful.

Why do they feel that such anecdotal evidence is any more credible than the experiences of people like me, who told the truth during one or more polygraph examinations and were accused of deception?

Claims from people like me about telling the truth and being accused of deception are always dismissed by polygraph examiners with excuses such as, “You must have had a bad examiner.”  They seem to be given no weight whatsoever.

Yet these same examiners, when confronted with the NAS research study, counter with a claim that their own experiences show the polygraph is accurate and useful.

If anecdotal evidence provided by people who told the truth and failed is inadmissible into this debate of a supposedly scientific test, then so too should anecdotal evidence provided by people who administer tests that generate results with which they agree.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ecchasta
User

Reply #29 - Dec 15th, 2006 at 6:23am
LieBabyCryBaby stated the following in an earlier post:

"When there exist positive studies supporting the polygraph... "

Will he please cite any scientifically valid double blind study to support that statement?  I've been searching for weeks.  Anecdotal evidence doesn't count.

IP Logged

University Of Arizona - Polygraph Study pdf

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X