Normal Topic Standard Question (Should I apply?) (Read 5357 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Intrepid
New User

Standard Question (Should I apply?)
Nov 7th, 2006 at 9:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am interested in employment with the CIA, specifically in clandestine operations overseas. I have just begun doing research on this, and still know very little, so forgive my ignorance. 
I will state my background. Please tell me if it is worth for me going forward, and the general likelihood that I may be considered/accepted. Thanks!

I grew up in the private school system (Christian school). After high school, I joined the Marine Reserves in a combat unit. I was sent to Iraq in the initial invasion. Recieved the Combat Action Ribbon and Presidential Unit Citation, to list a few. Since joining the USMC, I have made several trips to a US friendly country in Asia, visiting my girlfriend who is now my wife. I have never done any drugs, I have had alcohal a few times, been really drunk only once. For me, my faith is incredibly important and I try to live according to it. 
I am a university student now, English major with a 3.49 GPA. (I don't intend on applying until after I graduate). 

Key concerns are these: 1) My wife is a foriegn national. She is now a legal resident of the USA, but is not a U.S. citizen. Obviously, that means my in-laws are not Americans. 
2) I have not been married long, and was struggling with the pressures of marriage, etc. etc. and had gone on a trip to her country (she stayed in the US while I went there), and there, I had sexual relations with another woman. Since coming back, I told her everything and we have worked it out, and moved on, however, I am concerned that this will be a tremendous character stain from the Agency's eyes, and make them unwilling to hire me. 

Sorry for the long-winded question. I really don't know much about the process, or if I am even Agency material, or if my fatal flaw is too much for them to endure. 

Any and all responses are very much appreciated. Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Standard Question (Should I apply?)
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:02pm
If you are a devout Christian, why would you want to work for an agency that practices torture? Who would Jesus torture?

And why do you believe that your sex life is any of the U.S. Government's business?

I'm not asking you to answer these questions here. I only pose them to give you food for thought.

You might be CIA material; I don't see anything in your background that is obviously disqualifying (though your wife would have to become a US citizen and would no doubt be subjected to a polygraph interrogation). Perhaps the more salient question to ask yourself is: does the CIA meet your standards?
« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2006 at 10:26pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 11:26pm
I am just wondering if I am Agency material or not, and if my fatal flaw will keep me from consideration. As I said, I am still researching. I am very much interested in fighting the war on terror, but not in the current military capacity which I am in. Gathering information covertly for this cause does not conflict with my spiritual beliefs. (I really don't want to get into a big political/spiritual debate here). 
So for sure, my wife must become a U.S. citizen? We both have no ambition for that, since there are numerous benefits to here staying a citizen of her home country. 
Also, I am not unsure of the Agency's standards on who they want working for them. My IQ is somewhere around 110, nothing special, my academic performance is decent, but now outstanding. As for work experience, I am very limited, with the exception of the military.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 11:28pm
Oh, as far as one's sex life being the government's business, I don't think it is their business, however, I do not form the standards or polygraph questions, so the ball is in their court.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Nov 7th, 2006 at 11:45pm
If your wife wishes to keep her native citizenship, then don't even think of applying for CIA employment.

I appreciate that you may not want to get into a political/spiritual debate on this message board, which is why I didn't ask you to answer such questions here, but were you to go to work for the CIA, you would at some point have to come to grips with the fact that the CIA is involved in crimes such as kidnapping, torture, and murder.

Regarding whether your sex life is any of the U.S. Government's business, the ball is only in their court if you decide to make it so.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 2:04am
What are the general thoughts as it relates to my work experience/education? Is a bachelor's in English and some military experience enough? I am not sure what the Agency is really looking for.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wallerstein
Senior User

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:12pm
George is right:  your wife must at least be on a path to citizenship (i.e., forms files etc) for you to be considered a candidate.   

Second:  if your wife is from an unfriendly country (China, Russia are the biggies), then even if she is a US citiizen this will pose problems.  May not be the death of your application but will definitely make the processs longer.

The stuff regarding your sex life would not be responsive to any questions on the security forms you need to fill out.  The shrink may ask something to that effect.  For them the key for situations like that is that there is no possibility for coercion--in other words, that somebody couldn't hold out the possibility of telling your wife about it if you didn't do x or y...think of the movie the firm.  In your case, you wife knows about it so that would be moot.  It would go to character but this can be mitigated by time passage.

Good luck.  Just go ahead and apply and give it a shot if you are really interested.

IP Logged

Standard Question (Should I apply?)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X