Normal Topic Have a Chance? (Read 5506 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box degenerate20
New User

Have a Chance?
Oct 27th, 2006 at 5:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello, I have always considered being a police officer, but now it is something that I truly would like to do.  But there are several dings against me that i'm afraid might prevent me from becoming one.  I'm currently in college, and I was wondering if any of you could let me know if these issues are disqualifying:

-A crooked back-aches, but would not prevent me from doing my duties or from wearing a bullet-proof vest.
-Depression-currently on medication for depression.
-An arrest for breaking and entering when I was 19 years old, I was drunk after a party and thought i was kicking my friends door down, it turned out not to be his house.  All charges were dropped and I got 6 months probation.
-Past marijuana use Freshman year of college for a period of 6 months.  I abused it almost every day.

Yeah so things do not look good for me, but it is my dream and I want to give it my best shot.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Re: Have a Chance?
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 2:05am
degenerate20 wrote on Oct 27th, 2006 at 5:38am:
Hello, I have always considered being a police officer, but now it is something that I truly would like to do.  But there are several dings against me that i'm afraid might prevent me from becoming one.  I'm currently in college, and I was wondering if any of you could let me know if these issues are disqualifying:

-A crooked back-aches, but would not prevent me from doing my duties or from wearing a bullet-proof vest.
-Depression-currently on medication for depression.
-An arrest for breaking and entering when I was 19 years old, I was drunk after a party and thought i was kicking my friends door down, it turned out not to be his house.  All charges were dropped and I got 6 months probation.
-Past marijuana use Freshman year of college for a period of 6 months.  I abused it almost every day.

Yeah so things do not look good for me, but it is my dream and I want to give it my best shot.

infrequent MJ usage not an automatic DQ.
"Breaking and entering", aka Burglary is a felony in all States.  you said it was dropped but you got probation.  Usually, probation goes hand in hand with a conviction. If a conviction shows up, that is an automatic DQ.

Meds for depression not an automatic DQ.   
Your back? Only you can answer that one when you take the agility test.

Good luck.

Thanks!

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2006 at 6:23pm
I appreciate your reply.

I was not convicted of anything, and all charges were dropped.  I wasn't even supposed to get probation, the court clerk or somebody messed up and interpreted my required 50 hours of community service as need for probation.  They dropped what I was charged with to just destruction of property, and then dropped that as well.  So the only thing on my record is an arrest, I'm not exactly sure if it's an arrest for B and E, or destruction of property.

Is smoking MJ every day for 6 months considered infrequent?

thank you!

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 2:02am
No, it's not considered infrequent but in large part, as long as that's all you have done and it has a good bit of age on the last usage, then not an auto DQ.

Good luck

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 7:41pm
I appreciate your help Dippityshurff

One more concern, where I live, Arlington County Va, any felonious act, whether detected or not, is disqualifying.   
-Do I fall under this category?  I had no inent to break into anyones home and cause any sort of harm, i was drunk and trying to get to the party house.   

If this disqualifies me from Arlington County, it's no big deal.  I would just like to work for them because of the proximity to all of the federal agencies.  If it doesn't work out I'd also like to work in New York City or Boston.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2006 at 11:24pm
just be straight with the BI guy and perhaps he can give you some guidance. I would highly recommend AGAINST trying to cover anything up.  It will **usually** end up biting you in the butt.

Good luck

IP Logged

Have a Chance?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X