Normal Topic 2nd Polygraph coming up do i try to "beat the (Read 4996 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box winchester
New User

2nd Polygraph coming up do i try to "beat the
Oct 21st, 2006 at 10:46pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I already have been accused of CM's when I wasn't using them.

I think it was because I was nervous, hopefully this time I wont be as nervous.

my question is will this guy will be looking for CM because they thought i used them on the other test?

I really dont think I have anything to hide, but I do not want to fail another test!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: 2nd Polygraph coming up do i try to "beat
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:15pm
winchester wrote on Oct 21st, 2006 at 10:46pm:
I already have been accused of CM's when I wasn't using them.

I think it was because I was nervous, hopefully this time I wont be as nervous.

my question is will this guy will be looking for CM because they thought i used them on the other test?

I really dont think I have anything to hide, but I do not want to fail another test!

Winchester,

If your first polygrapher were truly confident that you had used countermeasures, you would not have been offered a re-test. The baseless accusation is testimony to the inability of polygraphers to detect countermeasures. Countermeasure "detection" consists largely of guesswork, bluffery, and badgering examinees for admissions. By admitting to some prior knowledge of polygraphy during your first polygraph (which you mentioned in an earlier post), you evidently made your polygrapher nervous.

The first polygraph is likely to color the second one, too. The polygrapher is going to be on his guard against countermeasures, and you're probably at increased risk of being accused of countermeasure use, whether or not you actually choose to employ countermeasures.

The choice to use countermeasures (or not) is one that only you can make. But I recommend that you make an informed choice. If you haven't already done so, see Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for detailed information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures.
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2006 at 11:31pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box winchester
New User

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 1:06am
Quote:

Winchester,

If your first polygrapher were truly confident that you had used countermeasures, you would not have been offered a re-test. The baseless accusation is testimony to the inability of polygraphers to detect countermeasures. Countermeasure "detection" consists largely of guesswork, bluffery, and badgering examinees for admissions. By admitting to some prior knowledge of polygraphy during your first polygraph (which you mentioned in an earlier post), you evidently made your polygrapher nervous.

The first polygraph is likely to color the second one, too. The polygrapher is going to be on his guard against countermeasures, and you're probably at increased risk of being accused of countermeasure use, whether or not you actually choose to employ countermeasures.

The choice to use countermeasures (or not) is one that only you can make. But I recommend that you make an informed choice. If you haven't already done so, see Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for detailed information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures.

Sir,
First off thank you for your advice.   

This poly is actually for another department.

I am worried that if I read up about CM it will only hurt me when they ask "have you done anything to prepare for the poly"  I will have to explain.

I'm I flawed in my thinking?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:13am
winchester wrote on Oct 22nd, 2006 at 1:06am:
This poly is actually for another department.

Having been falsely accused of using countermeasures by the first department will certainly not help your prospects with the second department. I think it would be wise to say as little as possible about your first polygraph, and not to mention the countermeasures accusation. You can simply say, for example, that you did not pass the first agency's polygraph, even though you told the truth.

Quote:
I am worried that if I read up about CM it will only hurt me when they ask "have you done anything to prepare for the poly"  I will have to explain.

I'm I flawed in my thinking?

No, you will not have to explain anything of the sort to the polygrapher. Provided they are answering the relevant questions truthfully, it is perfectly ethical for applicants for employment to deny having researched polygraphy to their polygraphers, and to use countermeasures to protect themelves against the risk of a false positive outcome.

Remember, no matter how honest you are with your polygrapher, your polygrapher is not going to be completely honest with you, but will instead lie to and otherwise attempt to deceive you about the nature of the polygraph procedure. The "test" has no scientific basis, is instead fundamentally dependent on trickery, and is inherently biased against the truthful.

You saw during your first polygraph how the mere mention that you had some prior knowledge about polygraphy led to a false accusation of countermeasure use. Under the circumstances, it is both ethical and wise not to reveal your knowledge of polygraphy to your second polygrapher.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006 at 10:49am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Lienot
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 5:35pm
Lying is ethical and wise?   

Be truthful and get the job, lying is not a good start in any career.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2006 at 6:24pm
Quote:
Lying is ethical and wise?   

Be truthful and get the job, lying is not a good start in any career. 

Honesty is a two-way street, buddy. If polygraphers want complete honesty, they should try being honest themselves. Polygraphy is based on lies and trickery and includes the not-so-secret-anymore assumption that even those who pass will have answered the "control" questions less than honestly.

When the fox preaches, guard your geese.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2006 at 4:59am
Lienot,

the purpose of the polygrpah is to see if you meet department requirements vis a vis the relevant questions. If you do, in fact, meet those, what you do to produce squiggly lines that verify the truth to the examiner is of no moral consequence to anyone.

IP Logged

2nd Polygraph coming up do i try to "beat the

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X