Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How do the following impact polygraph results? (Read 44123 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

How do the following impact polygraph results?
Sep 18th, 2006 at 3:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
To all polygraphers on this board,

Regarding effective use of the polygraph, how do the following impact polygraph results? Please provide explanations and evidence... 

1. Hypertension 
2. Thyroid disease
3. Diabetes
4. Asthma
5. Menopause
6. The common cold
7. Schizophrenia
8. Major and mild depression
9. Alzheimer's disease
10. Bipolar disorder
11. Histrionic personality disorder
12. Psychopathic personality disorder
13. Low IQ
14. Average IQ
15. High IQ 

I would also ask that you refrain from personal attacks and treat this merely as an informational in nature. As for the antipolygraph folk, I would ask that you extend the same courtesy and let the answers speak for themselves. Once the polygraph folk have had a chance to answer, we can then engage in spirited but respectful debate...

One also doesn't have to know the answers to all these, only what you know about...

And again, I ask that all refrain from personal attacks, logical fallacies, and misdirections...

Thanks ahead of time,

-digithead

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: How do the following impact polygraph results?
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 1:29pm
digithead

Excellent questions. However, only people like Doctors Richardson, Furedy, etc., can effectively answer them. 

I eagerly await  the responses. That is, if there are any.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Phil413
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 18th, 2006 at 11:20pm
I agree, excellent question. I will be very interested to hear any replies and I have a thyroid disorder, anxiety, and severe allergies. 

I am scheduled to have a polygraph for a job next week and was given a paper that said if I had a cold or bad allergies to reschedule. Ummm, I have severe allergies all the time and suffer miserable from them so does that mean I never have to take the test?  Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 5:06am
digithead wrote on Sep 18th, 2006 at 3:49am:
To all polygraphers on this board,

Regarding effective use of the polygraph, how do the following impact polygraph results? Please provide explanations and evidence... 

1. Hypertension 
2. Thyroid disease
3. Diabetes
4. Asthma
5. Menopause
6. The common cold
7. Schizophrenia
8. Major and mild depression
9. Alzheimer's disease
10. Bipolar disorder
11. Histrionic personality disorder
12. Psychopathic personality disorder
13. Low IQ
14. Average IQ
15. High IQ 

I would also ask that you refrain from personal attacks and treat this merely as an informational in nature. As for the antipolygraph folk, I would ask that you extend the same courtesy and let the answers speak for themselves. Once the polygraph folk have had a chance to answer, we can then engage in spirited but respectful debate...

One also doesn't have to know the answers to all these, only what you know about...

And again, I ask that all refrain from personal attacks, logical fallacies, and misdirections...

Thanks ahead of time,

-digithead

It's been two days, any polygraphers out there want to answer? Nonombre? LieBabyCryBaby? Retcopper?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 3:46pm
Digithead:

Didnt really want to take the time to reply but you seem like a decent sort of guy so Ill try to answer what I think you are asking.  I will not address every point becasue one answer will apply to several.   

Some people with the problems you name can or can not be tested.  A lot dpends on the pretest interview.  For instance, a person wiht a low IQ may not remember what he did yesterday but how low does the IQ have to go before one can not remember what he did.  I cant remember, imbecile moron is the lowest ? But you have to interview them and make a decsion. I probalby wouild not test a person wiht a very low IQ becaue they can be impressionable . 

Some of the illnesses you bame cam be tested but again depends on how they are physically and mentally at the time, i.e. a person wiht a common cold can not be tested if he is going to be sniffing all the time.
Alzheimer can not be tested. Bi polar can as well as depression patinets. 

Histionic disorder subject has a tendency to be a drama queen and embellish .  Again can test, but each individual is different and have to make assessment in interview. This also alies to psychopathic  subjects who are extremely manipulative and sometimes very evil.  Cant test schizos who are out of touch with reality. 

Most of the others you can test if they are and not in discomfort. BTW you forgot to name pregnat people which you can not test.

These are only my opinionsevery isssue.  SOme polygraphers may come here and disagree on certain issues.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 3:53pm
Digithead
I apologize fro the grammar and spelling mistakes in last post but had to hurry.  Have a good day

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 4:35pm
digithead

retcopper's stock rose with me a while back when he told me that he would not test a subject that is on psychotropic medication. I think most polygraphers will tell you they can test around the conditions you listed. Their punitive egos control their thinking.

I don't agree with all of retcopper's posts but, at times, (humor) he does posess rational thinking. He has the right to defend his profession as best as he can as we have the right to defend ours. It's just that, at times, (humor again, retcopper) he has dificulties. One shouldn't be serious all the time. It wears on the grey matter. I can, also, take insults that are offered jokingly.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2006 at 4:38pm
I should have added - I will be gone to the left coast for a couple of weeks. Hve to work occasionally.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 5:50pm
retcopper wrote on Sep 20th, 2006 at 3:46pm:

Most of the others you can test if they are and not in discomfort. BTW you forgot to name pregnant people which you can not test.

How does an examiner determine if an individual is not in too much discomfort to be tested?

Also, is it a general rule among examiners not to test pregnant people?  If so, how far along would one need to be before they could not be tested?  Does an examiner require verification of the pregnancy?   Grin

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Sep 22nd, 2006 at 8:14pm
Underlyingtruth:

Where you been?  Glad to see you back.  I ask the person if they are in any discomfort, especially if they tell me they are on medicine or tell me they have had an injury or recent illness I do not test any pregnant woman, regardless of how far they are along. 

Have a good day

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box fatman1955
New User

Reply #10 - Sep 23rd, 2006 at 8:52am
am convinced pre-existing medical conditions do affect polygraph tests. I took a pre-employment polygraph and failed. I have Hypertension, Diabetes, and sleep Apnea. These conditions are treated with daily medication and breathing machine which is used while I sleep. The medication for Hypertension and Diabetes does have an affect on blood pressure stability. Treatment for sleep Apnea has a drastic affect on rate of breathing. My breathing rate is abnormally lower than the average individual. During the test I was told several times my breathing was abnormal and accused of holding my breath during questions. When I coughed during a question every thing started really going down hill. The bottom line is, I told the truth to all the questions and failed the test. Maybe I am an isolated case, but physical and medical conditions factored into my failure. I was not told by my tester what questions or reason resulted in my failure. The pre test interview was useless.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 11:50pm
Digithead,

Only one response to your questions. Didn't expect much more than nothing out of our friendly neighborhood polygraphers. 

RetCopper,

As TwoBlock said, your stock on this board with me went way up with your response and candor. 

Regards  ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 28th, 2006 at 7:33am
EosJupiter wrote on Sep 27th, 2006 at 11:50pm:
Digithead,

Only one response to your questions. Didn't expect much more than nothing out of our friendly neighborhood polygraphers. 

RetCopper,

As TwoBlock said, your stock on this board with me went way up with your response and candor. 

Regards  ....

I know and other than retcopper's response, I'm somewhat disappointed. I'd address it but I'm tied up with work and school at the moment... 

When I get a free moment this weekend, I'll put my thoughts down...

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Oct 2nd, 2006 at 11:54pm
I'm disappointed.  Other than retcopper's response, none of our other resident polygraphers bothered to reply...

So here's my take on it. The CQT polygraph is based on the assumption (quite flawed in my opinion) that there will be an involuntary physiological response in one of the four channels measured by the machine when a person is lying. Any physical illness, condition, or mental defect that affects any of these channels can lead to false positives. Something like hypertension, which is quite common and undetected in a lot of people (hence it's name "the silent killer"), can adversely affect a person's readings especially in the heightened emotional arena of a polygrapher's office...

Retcopper's refusal to polygraph pregnant women is interesting, as it is a tacit admission that physical states can and do affect the outcome of the test. I ask why only pregnant women and the common cold? There are a plethora of diseases that affect the endocrine and central nervous systems. Why don't polygraphers worry about them also?

It seems to me that disease would be the primary threat to polygraph accuracy, why does very little of the literature explore it?

I'll open up the floor to both sides for debate...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kanin

Why dont polygraphers warn us
Reply #14 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:44pm
i recently took a poly test and failed.. i told the truth and it didnt matter.  did the norm.. closed my eyes and took the 2 hour test.  im bipolar type 1.  does that have anything to do with it.. i did tell him i was bipolar and not on medications.  would that affect the outcome of the test and if so how?

ty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
How do the following impact polygraph results?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X