Normal Topic breathing question (Read 2977 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JimmyJoe
New User

breathing question
Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
You know when you sleep your breathing slows down, similar to some of the resperation CM's? And thus slowing down your heart rate?

Wouldnt slowing down your heartrate (by slowing your breathing) decrease your responses? shouldnt you want to be increasing your responses on the 'control' questions on the polygraph "test"?

IP Logged

New User

Re: breathing question
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 7:44am
please answer, im kinda confused about this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Thomas_Delacy
User

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2006 at 9:58pm
i was to confused about the same question you ask. I have employed the breathing cm. and i slowed my breathing down in CQ's. i beat the Poly. i would think this cm of slowing your breathing down take part in showing the polygrapher ; your suppressing your breathing making you more deceptive; i really cant figure out otherwise.

He who control's the future, control's the past He who control's the past, control's the future.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2006 at 12:20pm
JimmyJoe wrote on Aug 18th, 2006 at 4:35am:
You know when you sleep your breathing slows down, similar to some of the resperation CM's? And thus slowing down your heart rate?

Wouldnt slowing down your heartrate (by slowing your breathing) decrease your responses? shouldnt you want to be increasing your responses on the 'control' questions on the polygraph "test"?

One does not fall asleep in the context of employing polygraph countermeasures. I think that your assumption that slower (or shallower) breathing employed as a countermeasure will necessarily slow one’s heart rate is misplaced. Slowed breathing -- or even blocking -- is a common reaction to stressful situations that also result in increased heart rate/blood pressure. Hence the expression “waiting with bated breath.”

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 3:03am
So reducing breathing will do what for you in a Polygraph test?

Doing mental CM's (doing hard math problems, picturing yourself in a stressful situation) will increase your heart rate and blood pressure?

Biting your tongue, may also increase heart rate?

Which is the "sphincter" muscle that people talk about? and what does contracting it mean?

please reply  to anything i may have written wrong, these are all questions that may be needed to be straigtened up, just incase im wrong. I have a polygraph "test" in a couple of weeks for employment  for a government job.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 23rd, 2006 at 5:37pm
Quote:
So reducing breathing will do what for you in a Polygraph test?

Please read pages 145-148 in TLBTLD.  Changes in your breathing can be used as a CM on a polygraph.  There are several reactions that can achieve this, I don't know why the focus has been on reducing breathing.

Quote:

As soon as you recognize that the question your polygrapher is asking is a “control” question, or, alternatively, immediately after answering the question, change your baseline breathing pattern to produce one of the five pneumograph reactions that DoDPI considers to be most significant in chart scoring:29

Note: None of these manipulations call for deep breathing, that is, filling your lungs to full or nearly full capacity. Such deep breathing is likely to be interpreted by your polygrapher as an attempted countermeasure.

The first reaction, blocking, is also the easiest. It is achieved by simply holding one’s breath for four or five seconds (anything much longer may make your polygrapher suspicious) after breathing out, as illustrated in the DoDPI graphic below30:

The second reaction, a respiration rate decrease, may be produced by simply breathing more slowly for 5-15 seconds, ending before the asking of the next question:

The third scorable reaction, a change in inhalation/exhalation ratio, may be effected by exhaling more slowly than inhaling for 5-15 seconds, ending before the asking of the next question:

The fourth reaction, a decrease in amplitude (also known as suppression), may be produced by taking several shallower breaths and then returning to one’s baseline breathing pattern, as illustrated below. This should be done over the course of 5-15 seconds, ending before the asking of the next question:

The fifth reaction is similar to the fourth, except that breathing becomes shallower gradually before returning to one’s baseline breathing pattern. Again, this should be done for 5-15 seconds, ending before the asking of the next question:

Quote:
Doing mental CM's (doing hard math problems, picturing yourself in a stressful situation) will increase your heart rate and blood pressure?

Biting your tongue, may also increase heart rate?

Maybe, maybe not.  The point is to increase your reaction to a CQ.   

Quote:
Which is the "sphincter" muscle that people talk about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_anal_sphincter

Quote:
and what does contracting it mean?

From page 150-151 in TLBTLD.

Quote:

What About the Anal Sphincter Contraction?

The first three editions of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector included constriction of the anal sphincter muscle as a physical countermeasure to be applied timely with the asking of the “control” questions.  This is one of the most discussed polygraph countermeasures (Lykken, 1998; Williams 1996; Reid & Inbau, 1977), and readers may well wonder why it has been dropped from this book.   
In recent years, polygraph manufacturers such as Lafayette and Axciton have begun marketing piezoelectric sensor pads that they claim aid in the detection of physical countermeasures. These pads are typically placed on the seat of the polygraph chair, and additional pads may also be placed on the armrests or beneath the subject’s feet. While no polygrapher has ever demonstrated any ability to detect the anal sphincter contraction employed as a countermeasure, even with the aid of such pads, we cannot exclude the possibility that a sphincter contraction might result in a detectable change in weight distribution over the surface of a piezoelectric sensor pad. Given this uncertainty, we believe that mental countermeasures or tongue-biting, which plainly cannot be detected by such means, are preferable.

IP Logged

breathing question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X