Normal Topic Ed Gelb's polygrah of Ramsey family (Read 7163 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Ed Gelb's polygrah of Ramsey family
Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Any comments on the polygraph tests that  Ed Gelb gave to John and Patsy Ramsey re: the murder of John Benet Ramsey?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Re: Ed Gelb's polygrah of Ramsey family
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:36pm
I don't remember the details.   
Please summarize or provide a link to the story.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:41pm

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 7:50pm
Thanx onesimus.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 8:09pm
Well, the Ramsey's were cleared by the polygraph given by Gelb, but the police did not accept that conclusion because an FBI examiner did not administer the exam.  The police claim that Gelb did not have enough privileged information to be able to conduct an adequate exam, but the questions seemed straightforward to me.

So, there are several questions here:

1.Do examiners agree with the police that the Gelb exam was not good enough?

2. Were the Ramsey’s educated about the working of the polygraph?  If so, did they use CMs to protect their innocence?

3. What if the results of the exam did NOT clear them; what would that mean to the polygraph community given current findings?

4. Does anyone know of a widely public case where the accused failed a polygraph and were later cleared by additional evidence or a court of law? Or vice-a-versa?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Retcopper,

The Interesting take on all of this,  as Gelbs and later Backsters decision to say they are honest and telling the truth,  were 100% accurate (giving credit when I see it), if the arrest of this scumbag in Thailand is correct. The FBI in my honest opinion would have most likely concluded deception and whole heartedly launched into a marathon interrogation session.  The Ramseys use of a neutral place and examination speaks volumes on the distrust of FBI polygraph tactics, this was good advice by wise defense council.  But this case more than proves that the polygraph is nothing more than an intimidation and interrogation device. Its only practicality is to elicit a confession, if used in conjuction with brutal interrogation techniques. Thanks retcopper, this is a good post.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 9:55pm
Eos/underlyingtruth:

I can't speak to what the Feds would have done but I will say that there is a lot of jealousy between the FBI and PDs when it comes to sharing  info. etc. etc.   This of course hinders investigations.  I think both parties are guilty of this to some extent. I hope it has improved since 911.

I agree that the use of a polygrpah is a good pyschological tool in conjunction with "good" interrogation techniques.  I dont think I use "brutal"
techniques but then again what do you mean by brutal. The most I will do is raise my voice or emphasis certain words but I dont do anything that I think is brutal.

I dont know all of  the facts to make a judgement on the Gelb exam. All PDs want their own man to give the polygraph. BTW if it is true that Gelb does not posess a phd then I would  be speptical of his work.

Regarding underlying's fourth question.   I am rushed writing this post and cant think of any off the top of my head but there is plentry on both sides.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 1:25am
Quote:
I dont know all of  the facts to make a judgement on the Gelb exam. All PDs want their own man to give the polygraph. BTW if it is true that Gelb does not posess a phd then I would  be speptical of his work.

All PDs want their own 'graph jockey at the controls for a two simple reasons:

1) If a private polygraph is conducted and the examinee "fails," no one will ever hear a word of it. Such private polygraphs are protected by attorney-client privilege. 

The OJ Simpson case appears to be a perfect example of this. OJ apparently "failed" the polygraph set up for him by Robert Shapiro. The public face of this was that OJ "was only hooked to the polygraph to see how it works" and that no test was ever conducted.

2) The primary purpose of law enforcement polygraphs is to attempt to elicit confessions in cases where there is little hard evidence against a suspect. This benefit is nullified in a private setting.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cesium_133
Senior User

Mendacium est dicere "Animum
tuum lego!"

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2006 at 5:22am
retcopper wrote on Aug 17th, 2006 at 9:55pm:
I can't speak to what the Feds would have done, but I will say that there is a lot of jealousy between the FBI and PDs when it comes to sharing info, etc. etc.

And that stinks.  You would think all cops would want to be on the same side, not fighting each other in some territorial size contest.

Quote:
This of course hinders investigations.  I think both parties are guilty of this to some extent. I hope it has improved since 9/11.

It probably did for a while, until the sense of safety that we were lulled to sleep by returned.  I bet turf wars go on now as we speak, and not infrequently.

Quote:
I agree that the use of a polygraph is a good psychological tool in conjunction with "good" interrogation techniques.

Well, retcop, that's about what it is.  A tool, used to play upon someone's psyche, that is necessarily bolstered by interrogation.  When questioning gets nowhere, and the subject agrees to a poly and fails, subsequently confessing, that's as close to a decent use of the poly as you can get.

Consider a sphygmomanometer: a blood pressure cuff with a squeeze bulb.  It doesn't work by itself, because you can't read the systolic and diastolic from the needle on the gauge.  You need a stethoscope, too.  Conversely, you can't hear someone's BP.  If you carry a stethoscope, you need a sphyg. to get the whole picture.

So it is with the poly.  By itself, it's traces on paper or a screen- a fancy BFB readout.  With interrogation, it's worth about half a buttock against the ignorant person (assuming they are lying and the readouts aren't from something else, which they well could be), and useless against the informed.  And to be honest, people have a right to be informed, and to be dealt with honestly.

Quote:
All PDs want their own man to give the polygraph. BTW if it is true that Gelb does not possess a Ph.D. then I would be skeptical of his work.

Turf war alert!  If polyboys are "qualified", then why should the LAPD care if the FBI conducts it?  Not a good reflection on those meant to protect and serve.

Good to hear, also, that someone who is pro-poly cares about honesty and straight dealing in terms of qualifications.  I have no right to call myself an MD, so let Gelb show his doctorate, or let him quit talking about it...  Wink

Polygraphers escaped from among the evils of Pandora's box, which might have been an old analog polygraph... only God can tell whether you're lying or not, and He will judge you in His own time...
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dippityshurff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 19th, 2006 at 1:35am
There is a feeling among local LE agencies (and not without merit) that the Feebs will come in, let you do all the work, take all the risk and then, they, will take all or most of the credit.  I know I know, it shouldn't matter who gets the credit, but we being humans, it does.

Story:  there was a police dog competition held...one dog from a city PD, one from the Sheriff's Office, and one from the FBI.  city dog went into the building, grabbed his suspect, drug him out and set up on him until his partner arrived.  County dog went in, did the same thing in the same time.  FBI dog saw what went on, snuck around behind both of the other dogs, buggered them both, stole their prisoners and issued a press release.

Stay safe!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 12:37pm
In view of recent developments strongly indicating that John Mark Karr did not kill JonBenet Ramsey, it now seems clear that Karr's "confession" sheds no light on the accuracy of the results of Ed Gelb's polygraph examinations of John and Patsy Ramsey.

See "No DNA match, no JonBenet charges" on CNN.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/28/ramsey.arrest/index.html

The Boulder, Colorado district attorney's motion to quash Karr's arrest warrant may be downloaded from CNN.com here:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/images/08/28/karr.mot.to.quash.pdf

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pe177

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2008 at 9:39pm
I find it funny that you would say that. Disgraced people come up with the funniest shit............Traitor! I so glad you got booted from our government.

IP Logged

Ed Gelb's polygrah of Ramsey family

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X