Normal Topic Will check for prior polys be part of background? (Read 4945 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box racefaith
New User

Will check for prior polys be part of background?
Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:35pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi all.

Just getting started with a local Connecticut PD's recruitment process and I was wondering if a CT State Police polygraph that I took about 10 years ago would be dug-up in the process of doing my background search? and if so, are they allowed to use these results for comparative purposes?

thanks!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Re: Will check for prior polys be part of backgrou
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 9:39am
racefaith wrote on Aug 8th, 2006 at 10:35pm:
Hi all.

Just getting started with a local Connecticut PD's recruitment process and I was wondering if a CT State Police polygraph that I took about 10 years ago would be dug-up in the process of doing my background search? and if so, are they allowed to use these results for comparative purposes?

thanks!!

You will almost certainly be asked if you have ever applied to any other police agencies.  When asked you should tell them about your prior application, and how far into the process you went.

What were the results of your first polygraph?   

If you made disqualifying admissions and are now planning on omitting that information, and are curious if you will get away with it I sincerely hope you don't.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 3:29pm
Sergeant1107 - thank-you for your response.

I must say that rolling the dice and not admitting anything appears to be the more favorable choice for me statistically. 

If I was DQ'd via a poly for past admissions why would I lead the recruiters to the source??  Should I not take my chance, omit applying to the prior job (employing countermeasures) and hope I pass? Alerting them to the past is only going to create and immediate DQ - why hasten that?

Please also confirm whether PD's have a method of searching to determine if you have applied to other PD's and taken poly's in the past without you admitting.

thanks again!!

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 3:56pm
racefaith wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 3:29pm:
Sergeant1107 - thank-you for your response.

I must say that rolling the dice and not admitting anything appears to be the more favorable choice for me statistically. 

If I was DQ'd via a poly for past admissions why would I lead the recruiters to the source??  Should I not take my chance, omit applying to the prior job (employing countermeasures) and hope I pass? Alerting them to the past is only going to create and immediate DQ - why hasten that?

Please also confirm whether PD's have a method of searching to determine if you have applied to other PD's and taken poly's in the past without you admitting.

thanks again!!

If you have disqualifying behavior in your past then you should seek employment elsewhere.  Lying about it should not be an option for someone who is going to hold a position of public trust.

If you admitted to disqualifying behavior on a prior polygraph and are hoping to lie about it now you are planning to get off to a horrible start for a career in law enforcement.  If by some chance you are hired do you plan to continue lying whenever you think you won’t get caught?  Do you plan on lying whenever telling the truth would mean you have to face responsibility for a mistake you have made?

Or are you trying to convince yourself that you can behave in an unethical manner in order to get hired, but once you are on the job you will behave ethically?

I work in CT and aside from the State Police Polygraph Unit, there are only a few private polygraph firms who conduct pre-employment screening for police applicants.  It would be difficult for me to believe anyone could get away with lying about never having been polygraphed by one of them before.

BTW, if you state you’ve never applied for a police job before and/or never been polygraphed before, I’d say there’s a 99.9999999% chance you will be caught in that lie.  Once that happens kiss your application goodbye.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 4:14pm
Your candor is appreciated but a bit strong considering you do not know me, my past or the issues of which I am speaking. 

Your pre-judgment is a bit concerning considering your position of authority but I do appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #5 - Aug 9th, 2006 at 5:53pm
racefaith wrote on Aug 9th, 2006 at 4:14pm:
Your candor is appreciated but a bit strong considering you do not know me, my past or the issues of which I am speaking. 

Your pre-judgment is a bit concerning considering your position of authority but I do appreciate the time you've taken to respond.

I don't know what part of my post you consider "pre-judgment" or why you find it concerning.  I was simply responding to your post in which you indicated you thought you would have a better chance of getting hired if you lied about having undergone the application/polygraph process before.

Your defensiveness is understandable if you thought that everyone who is against the polygraph must be in favor of lying.  I'm sure there are some who are.  None of the law enforcement officers on this site (or any other I frequent) are among those.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cesium_133
Senior User

Mendacium est dicere "Animum
tuum lego!"

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2006 at 9:23am
Racefaith-

I doubt anyone here, and certainly not I, favors lying as a way to get a leg up on employment, especially if the lies are major, pervasive, or material to the job you seek.  That's not the purpose of this site; it's here to show why the poly and related instruments don't work and can't work.

The technique of CM's, which some here equate to lying or deceit or unethical behavior (I do not, if they're used benevolently), is presented so that honest people who know they should pass can employ them as they see fit to ensure their passing.  Nothing more.  We don't congregate here to help people who are hiding things pass a poly that would otherwise likely DQ them, and rightfully so.

That said, any bit of useful information can be used for evil aims.  People can indeed come here and pick up tips on how to beat a polygraph because they need to- because they have deficiencies that might be picked up by such an interrogation.  I hope neither you nor anyone else fits this mold.

If you have issues that militate against your becoming an LEO or otherwise, please consider the fact that you would be doing a disservice to yourself and the community by pursuing such a line of work...

Polygraphers escaped from among the evils of Pandora's box, which might have been an old analog polygraph... only God can tell whether you're lying or not, and He will judge you in His own time...
IP Logged

Will check for prior polys be part of background?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X