Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) medical countermeasures (Read 25947 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sora-chan
Ex Member

medical countermeasures
Jul 28th, 2006 at 1:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm trying to do some research on medical countermeasure used to pass a polygraph. I'm not really concerned if they work or not, I'm just trying to find out all methods that are tried.

From research so far I have found that people try taking anti-anxiety medication (i.e. meprobamate or Ativan), anti-depressants, alcohol, cocaine or meth, diazepam (Valium) or methylphenidate (Ritalin), muscle relaxers, Adderall, and blood pressure medication. I hope to find more. Can anyone point out places to look?

P.S. I currently have the book in acrobat open, and have read most of the countermeasure parts.

Thanks to anyone willing to help.  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2006 at 3:36am by »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alterego1
Senior User

Re: medical countermeasures
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 2:06am
Lol.....methamphetamines and cocaine before a poly?????  That's some funny shit. 

Now a valium or some type of muscle relaxer......that would make much more sense.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 2:11am
Yea, that and Alcohol would probally be detected. But, even if they don't work I need to find what attempts are made. 

What I've found to add to my list:

diazepam (Valium) or methylphenidate (Ritalin)

Quote:
Some of the comments pointed to various medications and drugs, such 
as beta blockers and antimuscarines, and argued that ingestion of any 
of these substances, or the presence of illness or disease could 
invalidate a polygraph examination.

Thank you alterego1 for your advice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 2:49am
Adderall

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2006 at 3:41am
That is an ADHD med right? Would an ADD med be tried as well?

Thanks underlyingtruth!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 7:33am
sora-chan

Taking any type of prescription medication prior to a poly can prove risky... If the examinee is taking a pre-employment polygraph, a drug test always precedes the poly.

If not a pre-employment poly, taking valium or any type of muscle relaxer will only increase the likelihood of a failed result. I think remaining focused and keeping a clear head throughout a polygraph exam is the smartest method.

triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box alterego1
Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 5:47pm
Quote:
sora-chan

If not a pre-employment poly, taking valium or any type of muscle relaxer will only increase the likelihood of a failed result.

I see where you're coming from regarding the drug testing issue, but what do you base the above assertion on??  If someone is tweaked out on muscle relaxers or narcotic pain pills, they are probably going to go into the test in a very relaxed and lackadaisical state.  And as it has been said over and over on this site, fear and anxiety is an essential element for the polygraph to "work."   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #7 - Jul 29th, 2006 at 11:39pm
sora-chan,

If I may ask what are you going to use this information for and if it is a clinical study, Could you post the criteria on which you are asking for the information. Or at least a link to the research rational. 

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #8 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 1:58am
Alterego1,

In theory I tend to agree with your analysis of going into a polygraph exam “tweaked” on valium or other prescription drugs to help create a relaxed and lackadaisical state. 

However, if the polygraph exam is a pre-employment with any law enforcement agencies, of federal agencies such as with the FBI, you will certainly be drug tested prior to the polygraph. If you are taking muscle relaxants without a prescription, they will be detected in the pre-employment urinalysis. Thus, you will not be hired by the agency as a result of a “hot” drug test.

If the polygraph is due to anything other than pre-employment purposes, meaning some type of suspected criminal activity, then you shouldn’t agree nor submit to the polygraph exam. If you are already a suspect in a criminal case, then the polygraph can and will be used to further cast doubt on your character regardless whether or not you are innocent or guilty. 

In my opinion, taking drugs will not serve you favorably in any situation, especially in a polygraph. I think rather than clouding your mind with the effects of drugs, you would be better off going in to a polygraph exam with a clear mind, and being in full control of your thoughts, feelings, and reactions when being interviewed by the polygraph examiner. 

Even if the drugs would help you with the actual polygraph exam, the examiner is very likely to detect your dilated pupils and possible slowed reactions caused by the relaxants.

I don’t see anything to gain by taking drugs to help pass a polygraph regardless of the purpose being tested. Likewise, in the event you may actually pass the polygraph, it would be ironic if you failed the interview not because of failing the polygraph, but rather as a result of the drugs you would be taking.

Good luck.

v/r
Triple x

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 30th, 2006 at 6:32am
This is part of a mock case given to me by a police officer, since I myself wish to become a cop. The suspects' mother is demanding a polygraph, and is also suspected to be in on the crime. The mother happens to be a nurse and is convinced that her daughter will pass the polygraph. This is despite the numerous evidence against the daughter.

The question I was required to answer was what chemicals substances the mother may try to give the daughter to help her pass the polygraph. 

I'm fairly certain that if you did go the the polygraph under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol it would be fairly simple to spot. But, to answer the question it was required to find out what perscription, or non-perscription, drugs may be used.

From what I have found, many thanks to the people on this site, the most likely taken substances would be: anti-anxiety, anti-depressant, muscle relaxers, ADD/ADHD medication and blood preasure medication.

To go further from what this site has told me, the type of questions asked, like control questions, the medical countermeasures would be useless.

I'm very thankful for both the help, and the information given by this site and it's members.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box badassbmwm3

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2014 at 6:48pm
What is the person taking a polygraph test was prescribed the medication to be taken every day. Most people diagnosed with ADD/ADHD take meds every morning such as adderall.

Is it ok for them to take their meds the morning of the test and will it help them or hurt them on the test. 

Lets assume it is for employment purposes as several people have already touched basses on that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #11 - Aug 25th, 2014 at 1:19am
The conventional wisdom in the polygraph field is this:

Do not deviate from your routine.

In my ten years as a polygrapher, I have had many subjects say something like "I skipped my meds today because I didn't want them to screw up the test."

That's not a good idea.

Skipping prescribed meds sets up the subject for an inconclusive result -- or worse -- in my opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jennifer stevenson

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:48pm
I'm going to take a polygraph and I have recently used methamphetamine. Will that affect the results?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 6:18am
Quote:
I'm going to take a polygraph and I have recently used methamphetamine. Will that affect the results?

Probably not. Why are you going to take a polygraph?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xenonman
God Member
Banned

May sarin, ricin, and
variola major befall
Langley

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 8:07pm
alterego1 wrote on Jul 28th, 2006 at 2:06am:
Lol.....methamphetamines and cocaine before a poly?????  That's some funny shit. 

Now a valium or some type of muscle relaxer......that would make much more sense.  Cheesy

This would be especially hilarious in the case in the case of applicants to IC agencies, which all have a paranoid anti-drug use policy.   Grin

What do we call it when every employee of the Agency's Office of Security
and Office of Personnel drowns in the Potomac?   A great beginning!

The best intelligence community employee is a compromised IC employee!
YouTube  
IP Logged

medical countermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X