Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Defending the polygraph, but not to find Truth (Read 22168 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Random_Man
New User

Defending the polygraph, but not to find Truth
Jul 20th, 2006 at 1:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
It occurs to me that we demonize the LE depts that utilize the polygraph as a requirement for entry based on the concept that: polygraphy has no grounding in scientific fact, and to rely on it for finding the difference between truth and deception is foolhardy.

But something else has come to my mind, and this concept might be difficult to comprehend for some because it validates the use of the polygraph in a context of law enforcement recruiting.

Members on this site argue that the polygraph produces many "false positives" in that, when a subject was polygraphed, they assert that they told the truth, but somehow still "failed" the polygraph, whether on account of nervousness or something else. But nervousness is exactly what I'm striking at here.

Is it not possible that police polygraphers, when examining a subject, would see general nervousness and anxiety as a negative trait, no matter whether the polygrapher believes they are telling the truth or not? Think about it this way: if I'm a police recruiter administering a polygraph, and the subject I'm examining (whether I think he's truthful or not) is a "screamer" and seems generally high-strung or nervous during the test, is that a candidate I would want to hire to my department? This is a man, who, if hired, would be carrying a gun and be put in much higher-stress situations that a polygraph. In other words, would my department be best suited to arm a man with a lethal weapon who gets high-strung in pressure situations?

My theory is this: the police depts who polygraph aren't just looking to differentiate between liars and the truthful, and they aren't just looking to get people to spill their guts. They are looking for candidates who are calm under pressure. Being a LEO is a high stress situation, and if a candidate is anxious during a polygraph, what will he do when he comes across a tense situation in the field (especially when he or she is armed?)

In this context I would defend, perhaps even advocate, the use of the polygraph to see how a candidate can handle pressure. As a truth-finding tool, it is flawed, most certainly, except on the naive. But as a tool to measure a candidate's ability to be confident and cool in all encounters, I can defend it's use. Perhaps we must consider that idea, that we don't give the polygraph enough credit. The name of the polygraph means "many writings," perhaps it gives recruiters more data that we give it credit for.

I welcome all ideas, comments and/or criticisms on this line of thought. Just keep it intelligent and rational please.

Random_Man

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yankeedog
Senior User

Re: Defending the polygraph, but not to find Truth
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 3:10am
Interesting concept, but that is not what it is used for.  Other areas of the application process attempt to identify those who may be "unable to respond under pressure."  The polygraph is a better tool at specific issues, rather than pre-employment screening.  That does not mean it does not have a valid use in pre-employment screening.  It is like any tool.  When used in an appropriate fashion, it will benefit the process.  It should not be used as the only factor to disqualify an applicant.  In my experience, in almost all situations where there is a "DI" test in a pre-employment scenario, all the agency has to do is look a little deeper and they will find a reason to stop the application process.  In my agency, a "DI" pre-employment test is not the sole disqualifying factor.  If all we have is an unresolved "DI" test (and that is in less that 5% of the cases with my agency), the applicant will continue with the process.  And, to the surprise of some posters, even a "DI" test with an admission/confession will not automatically DQ and applicant.  It all depends on what type of an issue we are talking about.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 3:22am
Why this is a bad idea:

1) There are many reasons why someone could fail a polygraph test other than just being nervous.  For example, if the applicant tells the truth on control questions, it will be harder to pass the test even if they are calm.  Being truthfull should not prevent one from becoming a police officer.

2) The amount of stress a polygrapher places on an examinee varies wildly from examiner to examiner and test to test, so no level playing field would exist.

3) There is no scientific evidence (that I am aware of) that suggests people who fail polygraph tests, but are otherwise qualified applicants, are less capable of handling firearms.  The real-life situations cops face are vastly different than the polygraph experience.

You could argue that qualified applicants that fail a polygraph test are better candidates than those who pass the test.

1) Those that passed probably willfully lied on control questions in order to obtain a job and might be less trustworthy than those who failed.

2) Those that passed were probably duped into believing the accuracy of an un-scientific test and may be less intelligent than those who failed.   

3) Those that passed may have cheated on the test in order to pass.

etc.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box digithead
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2006 at 3:49am
Random_Man,

You really need to read up on the CQT as not only is it unscientific, it is biased against the truthful...

The reason it is unscientific is because it is based on emotion rather than cognitive response which makes it inherently unreliable. How do you know if the elevated heart rate, rapid breathing, and sweating is from anger, nervousness, disgust, guilt or some underlying medical condition such as hypertension or hyperthyroidism?

And people respond differently based on the situation so just because someone is nervous during a job interview doesn't mean they'll react poorly while in the field and vice versa.

Think of things that might make you nervous: public speaking, asking a girl out, math tests. Does fairing poorly during these encounters mean that you'll lack the necessary bravery when confronted with a life-threatening situation?

The polygraph is pseudoscientific flapdoodle and needs to be tossed onto the heap of other debunked methods such as lead bullet analysis. Its continued use is a threat to national security and public safety.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #4 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 1:32pm
One of the members here, Nonombre, is a police polygrapher.  He and I had an exchange about something similar not too long ago.

If an applicant came to Nonombre during a polygraph test and was perfectly calm, controlling his breathing and emotion despite the inherent stress in the test, it would be a problem.  Nonombre would stop the test and counsel the applicant about controlling his breathing and controlling his stress, which is unacceptable during a polygraph.  If the applicant continued to exhibit the very desirable trait of being able to control his stress responses Nonombre would fail him for "purposeful non-cooperation."

I don't think your idea holds water.  The polygraph examiner doesn't want someone who maintains their calm and controls their breathing throughout the test; doing so makes the test a waste of time.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nonombre
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 7:01pm
Sergeant1107 wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 1:32pm:
One of the members here, Nonombre, is a police polygrapher.  He and I had an exchange about something similar not too long ago.

If an applicant came to Nonombre during a polygraph test and was perfectly calm, controlling his breathing and emotion despite the inherent stress in the test, it would be a problem.  Nonombre would stop the test and counsel the applicant about controlling his breathing and controlling his stress, which is unacceptable during a polygraph.  If the applicant continued to exhibit the very desirable trait of being able to control his stress responses Nonombre would fail him for "purposeful non-cooperation."

I don't think your idea holds water.  The polygraph examiner doesn't want someone who maintains their calm and controls their breathing throughout the test; doing so makes the test a waste of time.

Sergeant,

You have it half right.  I do not believe I ever discussed the ability to control one's "stress."  Hell, there are lots of days I wish I could control my "stress." 

(Homicide is an option I guess, but I hear that's illegal in most jurisdictions...Smiley)

You and I may have discussed the situation in which an examinee purposely controls his breathing (for whatever the reason).

The problem that controlled breathing creates, is a chart with obvious artifacts resulting from the DELIBERATE slowing by the examinee of his respiration cycles.

Most of the time, a brief discussion with the examinee will correct the problem.  However, if after repeated attempts to work with the examinee fail, and the clear and obvous attempts to manipulate the physiology continue, then I must stop the test and document the deliberate failure to cooperate.  The job this particular applicant has applied for is then given to someone more qualified to hold a position of trust.

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:06pm
nonombre wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 7:01pm:

You and I may have discussed the situation in which an examinee purposely controls his breathing (for whatever the reason).

The problem that controlled breathing creates, is a chart with obvious artifacts resulting from the DELIBERATE slowing by the examinee of his respiration cycles.

Most of the time, a brief discussion with the examinee will correct the problem.  However, if after repeated attempts to work with the examinee fail, and the clear and obvous attempts to manipulate the physiology continue, then I must stop the test and document the deliberate failure to cooperate.  The job this particular applicant has applied for is then given to someone more qualified to hold a position of trust.

Regards,

Nonombre

How can you know for sure if one's breathing is "controlled"/

Put an examineee in a highly sterssful situation (where their future OR existing job may be on the line -- family, mortgage etc etc).  Put that examinee in a small room with a table, chair and two way mirror.  Put in on overweight intimidating polygrapher.  Strap that person in to the chest tube, crank up the blood pressure cuff so their arm goes to sleep, then changes color.

Then stop the test half way through to tell the examinee "this has got to stop.  You are being uncooperative.  You are controlling your breathing."

The examinee respondes (totally perplexed) "ok; I want to get through this.  Tell me what you want me to do."

Polygraher "stop thinking about your breathing."

Get real.

Looking at a blank wall, answering stupid questions "have you ever sold drugs?  have you ever leaked to a reporter?"  (of course not)...  What is one supposed to think about in this situation???

"Stop controlling your breathing!  Stop thinking about your breathing!!"

"How can I stop thinking about my breathing when you keep yelling it!!"

How the hell can you conclude that an examinee is PURPOSEFULLY uncooperative in this situation?  How the hell can you conclude based on that the candidate is underserving of a position of trust?

Nothing personal, nonombre, but in general, I hope all polygraphers (who don't repent and see the errors of their ways) go to hell for the damage they inflict on innocent people.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:58pm
Jeffery wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 9:06pm:

How can you know for sure if one's breathing is "controlled"/

Put an examineee in a highly sterssful situation (where their future OR existing job may be on the line -- family, mortgage etc etc).  Put that examinee in a small room with a table, chair and two way mirror.  Put in on overweight intimidating polygrapher...

"...overweight intimidating polygrapher?"

I am not "overweight."  In fact I run a sub 8 minute mile...

How 'bout you?

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2006 at 12:59am
nonombre wrote on Jul 22nd, 2006 at 11:58pm:

"...overweight intimidating polygrapher?"

I am not "overweight."  In fact I run a sub 8 minute mile...

How 'bout you?

Regards,

Nonombre

In the 6 minute range.  Without even controlling my breathing.

Now, would you care to address the substantive portion of my previous post?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 12:25am
Nonombre,

As a police officer yourself I am sure you know that one of the methods we are taught for controlling our autonomic nervous system during periods of stress is to consciously control our breathing.  Whether it takes the form of repeatedly shouting “Stop resisting!” during a fight (you can’t shout if you’re not breathing) or it manifests itself as the forced four-count during a shooting situation (to forcibly break the tendency we have to hold our breath so as not to miss anything) we all train, with varying degrees of success, to learn how to control our stress levels by controlling our breathing.

Since losing control of your autonomic nervous system under stress leads to irrationally simplistic acts of fight or flight (without anything resembling a trained, reasoned response) it logically follows that being able to control your stress level by the time-tested method of consciously controlling your breathing is a very desirable trait for a police officer to have.

It seems cruelly ironic that a trait it is critical for a newly hired police officer to learn can, perversely, prevent them from being hired if they already possess it during the testing process.

I would be interested to know how you arrived at the conclusion that a person who consciously controls his or her breathing during a period of stress is somehow unqualified to hold a position of trust.  They may be unqualified to sit for a pseudoscientific test with arbitrary “rules” of breathing and thinking that have little or nothing to do with truth or deception, but I don’t see how such a person is unsuitable for a position of public trust.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:06am
Sergeant1107 wrote on Jul 24th, 2006 at 12:25am:
Nonombre,

As a police officer yourself I am sure you know that one of the methods we are taught for controlling our autonomic nervous system during periods of stress is to consciously control our breathing.  Whether it takes the form of repeatedly shouting “Stop resisting!” during a fight (you can’t shout if you’re not breathing) or it manifests itself as the forced four-count during a shooting situation (to forcibly break the tendency we have to hold our breath so as not to miss anything) we all train, with varying degrees of success, to learn how to control our stress levels by controlling our breathing.

Since losing control of your autonomic nervous system under stress leads to irrationally simplistic acts of fight or flight (without anything resembling a trained, reasoned response) it logically follows that being able to control your stress level by the time-tested method of consciously controlling your breathing is a very desirable trait for a police officer to have.

It seems cruelly ironic that a trait it is critical for a newly hired police officer to learn can, perversely, prevent them from being hired if they already possess it during the testing process.

I would be interested to know how you arrived at the conclusion that a person who consciously controls his or her breathing during a period of stress is somehow unqualified to hold a position of trust.  They may be unqualified to sit for a pseudoscientific test with arbitrary “rules” of breathing and thinking that have little or nothing to do with truth or deception, but I don’t see how such a person is unsuitable for a position of public trust.

Sergeant,

Since you and Jeffrey are posing similar points (although you do present a more rational and objective argument) allow me to address you both.

In my recent post, I make the point that after properly addressing the problem of controlled breathing during a polygraph examination, the majority of the examinees cease this behavior.

When I say "the majority," I mean the VAST majority (perhaps 95%.)

So what I have left is 5%.  Now if I was to stipulate that only perhaps half of the number were engaging in that behavior in a deliberate effort to "beat" the polygraph examination, then that would leave 2 1/2% of the examinees so "shook up" by the process that they could not "control" their controlled breathing, no matter what assistance is provided by the polygraph examiner...

Well, I am sure you are going to hate what I am about to say, but I see that as no different from the small percentage of police applicants who...

Bomb the written test because they are "no good at tests.:

Do one less sit-up than the minimum, because they are under stress.

Screw up the psych eval because they could not figure out the "correct" responses.

Come across as an idiot during the interview, because they are "nervous."

All these might have been good police officers had they had the chance...Maybe not...

We will never know, because MANY OTHERS made it through the process without these problems and were therefore selected, while these poor souls were not...

Too bad, so sad...

Remember, a police career is a privilege and a responsibility, not a "right."  When will you guys figure that out? 

Regards,

Nonombre

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 6:47am
nonombre wrote on Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:06am:

Too bad, so sad...

Sums up exactly the way thoughtless and heartless burocrats view things when ones government brands people liars simply because they were deemed to be "uncooperative" because their breathing patterns did not conform to pseudoscientific norms.

I would have breatehd however the polygrapher wanted me to -- but when he says "just don't think about your breathing" -- that is a complete joke.  Answer this -- how can one not think about their breathing when they're in the polygraph interrogation (and possibly not for the first time) with their career, mortgage, kid's tuition etc depending on te outcome of a test with no scientific basis -- right after being yelled at in a hostile manner over "controlling your breathing."  You can talk about all kinds of autonomic responses etc, but how do you clear your mind so you are not "thinking about your breathing".  You become so stressed about breathing, that you consciously just alter your breathing pattern.  Is that the knid of "non-breathing-thinking" you want?

The other tests you mention are objective and can be mapped to core job skills, so are completely irrelevant to the discussion that harm that polygraphs cause to the (let's take your extremely low 2.5% nuimber) of poeple unfairly subjected to this practice.

Too bad, so sad...  Is that the best you got?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 3:27pm
Nonombre:

Good to see you back.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 4:54pm
retcopper wrote on Jul 24th, 2006 at 3:27pm:
Nonombre:

Good to see you back.

It IS good to see you back!  There are many questions and comments for you guys that retcopper is afraid to answer.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2006 at 5:04pm
Underminingtruth

If you have taken as many polygraphs as you say you have then I care not to respond to people like you. So keep on posting your nonsense but  do not include me in your rhetorical drivel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Defending the polygraph, but not to find Truth

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X