Normal Topic "The Future" of Lie Detecting... (Read 5670 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box migaveli
New User

"The Future" of Lie Detecting...
Jun 27th, 2006 at 12:03am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I heard this program on NPR and just wanted to share it with everyone. Feel free to add your two cents after listening: 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5512022

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box cesium_133
Senior User

Mendacium est dicere "Animum
tuum lego!"

Re: "The Future" of Lie Detecting...
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2006 at 10:11am
The future of the poly is as unlikely to produce results as its entire past.  It's a Ouija board... and that reminds me of another delusion with some interesting parallels:

About 7-8 years ago, I saw a segment on 60 Minutes about "facilitated communication".  Basically, moms and dads of autistic (Rain Man, "my dad lets me drive slow on the driveway" types) children gave their kids a pencil, held their kids' hands, asked them questions, and then supposedly had their kids miraculously tap out on a piece of paper with all 26 letters on it the answer to the questions... questions in complexity similar to:

"Who signed the Declaration of Independence 3x larger than everyone else?"

These kids, who had never spoken in their lives, drooled, wailed like banshees, couldn't control their bodily functions, and usually sat in a corner shaking their heads like the poor cretins they were, all of a sudden started tapping out "John Hancock".  I'm not kidding...

However, when the parent didn't know the answer to something the kid should have, even something easy (once, they showed a testee kid a red card and asked him what color the card was), the result came out "There are some things I don't know."  Huh, what, wtf?  Quid in nomine Dei Omnipotentis...?

Oooookay... now, use Occam's Razor... is it more likely that these kids became savants by the touch of a parent, or is it more likely their moms used their own muscles (unconsciously, or wilfully ignoring the fact) to cause the desired result, like a Ouija board?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facilitated_communication

My point: results can be maipulated in any "test" to the satisfaction of the administrator.  Those parents, when confronted with overwhelming evidence about their sadly absurd thesis, would not budge from the contention that little cuckoo Mary or little half-sane Billy could, in fact, "talk".  The parents also said they could help their kids "speak".  Just like the polygraphers claim that they can take us and "help" us (no) by reading our minds (no again).  Delusions of grandeur by the conmen...

BTW, if anyone reading this has a handicapped child, I am not dumping on them or you.  I am just not PC, and I call 'em as I see 'em...
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2006 at 10:44am by cesium_133 »  

Polygraphers escaped from among the evils of Pandora's box, which might have been an old analog polygraph... only God can tell whether you're lying or not, and He will judge you in His own time...
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box retcopper
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 2:39pm
cesium

Thank god you are a Canadian.  I believe the people here in the USA are sensitive to handicapped people because of our hearts not becasue of any politial corectness garbasge.  Maybe you folks up in Canada think that way about disadvantaged people but I can assure you that most of the folks south of you are more compassionate.

Totally distastesful and disgusting.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:36pm
retcopper-serious question...

Even opponents of polygraph will concede that the flight or fight response occurs and can be an indication of physiological changes caused by stress due to lying. My question is this. 

How is the polygraph community so sure that the cause of the flight ot fight response is always lying such that they feel confident accusing people of it whenever their charts say so?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:52pm
Bill

Good question.  The fight or flight response is well documented by the medical profession. It is nautres way of the body preparing for self preservaiton, i.e., when is this mode you will not bleeds as much as if you were not in such a state. This is just one way your body prepspares itself for an attack. Other pysiological changes also occur.  When you were a child and told a lie to your parents you were afraid of the repercussions if you got caught. These same pysiological changes occur. If there are no adverse consequnces of you getting caught in a lie there will be no "pyscological set"."  If there is no set than the subject will be difficult to test.

Hope I was clear.

Have a good day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 9:02pm
retcopper wrote on Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:52pm:
Bill

Good question.  The fight or flight response is well documented by the medical profession. It is nautres way of the body preparing for self preservaiton, i.e., when is this mode you will not bleeds as much as if you were not in such a state. This is just one way your body prepspares itself for an attack. Other pysiological changes also occur.  When you were a child and told a lie to your parents you were afraid of the repercussions if you got caught. These same pysiological changes occur. If there are no adverse consequnces of you getting caught in a lie there will be no "pyscological set"."  If there is no set than the subject will be difficult to test.

Hope I was clear.

Have a good day.

Retcopper,

You forgot to mention one thing about  "Acute Stress Response" ie "Fight or Flight". The reaction can be minimalized or negated with proper training and knowlege. So relying on such a primative reaction really buys you nothing. Since fear is only an issue for the uninformed and naieve. Easily controlled for higher level life forms. 

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2006 at 9:12pm
"If there are no adverse consequnces of you getting caught in a lie there will be no "pyscological set"."

while this is true, my question is really more of--can there be a psychological set for reasons other than lying? Of course the answer is yes, as I have lived this experience, but your thoughts?

IP Logged

Senior User

tuum lego!"

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 8:33am
retcopper wrote on Jul 10th, 2006 at 3:52pm:

...The fight or flight response is well documented by the medical profession. It is nature's way of the body preparing for self preservation... This is just one way your body prepspares itself for an attack.

(above edited for syntax)

Or the body being reflexively defensive, upset, or appalled.  Actually, this response can result from just about any negative stimulus.  In a ploy (oops, poly) setting, such stimulus -could- be from a lie.  It could also result from an abhorrent question (did you kill...), from a stimulating question (have you ever stolen/lied/had coitus with), or from any normative change.  It could be from the polygrapher altering his monotone, or even from a random, completely unrelated thought that pops into the mind.  This response is -not- exclusive to deception, which may or may not trigger a response.

Quote:
If there is no (psychological) set than the subject will be difficult to test.

No noticeable deviations from "at-rest" readings will indeed make it hard to test someone.  If the polyman gets no or little reaction from the CQ's, he won't be able, by his own ludicrous rules, to render an opinion.  Not that he could with any certainty, anyhow...

Polygraphers escaped from among the evils of Pandora's box, which might have been an old analog polygraph... only God can tell whether you're lying or not, and He will judge you in His own time...
IP Logged

Senior User

tuum lego!"

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 9:02am
retcopper wrote on Jul 10th, 2006 at 2:39pm:

Thank God you are a Canadian.  I believe the people here in the USA are sensitive to handicapped people because of our hearts not becasue of any political correctness garbage.

As an analogy to the poly and the way the interrogator works and assumes results, FC is highly instructive.  It is another fraud, though perhaps not as insidious as the polygraph.  The "examiner" (mom/dad) is deluding only themselves, at no cost to society, and so the myth damages far less...

However, in FC, as in the poly, the examiner seeks to justify his results by arbitrary, unsupported, and outlandish assumptions and techniques- which, as currently constructed, cannot be objectively tested through the scientific method.  The parent or examiner makes an assertion, demonstrates his case ex parte, and then is resistant to anyone attempting to dissect the results or seek an alternative explanation.

The victims in FC, if you wish to call them that, are the poor kids who are gaining nothing and having their lives and time wasted on a fallacy.  That time could be used in physical or proven mental therapy.

Incidentally, for retcopper the pro-polygraph guy and anyone else wondering, I have the utmost sympathy and compassion for autistic children and their families.  I hope they find a treatment tomorrow for this awful affliction.  I -do-, though, state facts and observations about their physical movements, grasp of reality, and state of mind.  This is to drive home a point, and bluntly, not to insult them.  I will not use euphemisms.  "Mentally challenged" or "physically challenged" are not in my vocabulary.  It's retarded and handicapped, and FC is a sham and another sad lie.  It is a falsity, drawing in victims as does polygraphy.

http://www.disabilityhistory.org/images/devel/e_helped.gif
http://www.alaskacoinexchange.com/Stamps%2034/04c%20Employ%20Handicapped.jpg

Check them out.  I include these to try to create an atmosphere, at least on this thread, free of pro-poly doublespeak Smiley

The victims in polygraphy, who are true victims, are society (who has to pay for a magician's trick), the agencies who get duped into believing that the poly really works, and the examinees who are falsely accused and/or browbeaten and/or denied job opportunities as a result of the polygraph's shortcomings.  There have even been reports and posts on here of people getting in trouble with their parole officers over erroneous adverse results...

Spoken without apology...  8)
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2006 at 9:19am by cesium_133 »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2006 at 3:14pm
Bill

I agree with you, especially in combat situations, contact sports, etc. In those situations you employ physical measures and  react quickly to the stimulus and  you come away inscathed, injured  or killed.  In polygraphy  pysc set does not allow you to do anything physical to meet the crisis thereby making the physiologial response more intense. This is far from a text book answer. Just my take to try to answer your question. 

Have a good day.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 12:52am
retcopper,

While your scenario in your view is true, the reality of it is that the response can be suppressed with knowlege and training. That is why you train people for combat or the polygraph with as much real life knowlege and support there is available. Until this website showed up, you polygraphers pretty much had a free shooting range as there was only limited knowlege available to the public. But I do not doubt that you would get the desired responses from someone who has no idea about the polygraph.

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 5:13pm
Eos

No offense taken but I do not believe you can use cms effectively. It always comes back to this but at least we can agree to disagree.

Have a good day.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box underlyingtruth
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 5:50pm
retcopper wrote on Jul 12th, 2006 at 5:13pm:
Eos

No offense taken but I do not believe you can use cms effectively. It always comes back to this but at least we can agree to disagree.

Fortunately, for us, your belief is irrelevant.  CMs do work very effectively.

Are you willing to put your beliefs to the test?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2006 at 6:53pm
retcopper wrote on Jul 12th, 2006 at 5:13pm:
Eos

Have a good day.

retcopper,

No offense intended. But the point still remains out there as to why DODPI and the feds are scrambling to find an alternative to the polygraph, with limited results by the way. And having applied the information from this site and other various sources, do know that CM's do work. But since your still one of the few polygraphers that post, you are entitled to your opinion. I for one will not dog you for it. 

Regards ....

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bozoleclown
New User

Reply #14 - Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:43pm
retcopper wrote on Jul 10th, 2006 at 2:39pm:
cesium

Thank god you are a Canadian.  I believe the people here in the USA are sensitive to handicapped people because of our hearts not becasue of any politial corectness garbasge.  Maybe you folks up in Canada think that way about disadvantaged people but I can assure you that most of the folks south of you are more compassionate.

Totally distastesful and disgusting.

Holy cow! What kind of crap is that? I'm Canadian and I believe that we are generally much more respectful than maggots like you who go around making generalizations about everybody and anybody...

Sorry about the tough words but I'm...irked.

I have respect for everybody, including disabled people, and including Americans and people like you...

pfff...as if your nation had anything to do with it.

IP Logged

"The Future" of Lie Detecting...

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X