Normal Topic Not Your Normal Polygraph Exam (Read 1996 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box BiggieG
New User

Not Your Normal Polygraph Exam
Jun 15th, 2006 at 12:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
??? I have passed three polygraphs of the tradition kind, that is with 'control' questions (Have you ever lied?), fake benchmark questions (Areyou sitting down?) and valid exam questions (Did you steal money from petty cash?).  However I was given a different type of exam and I failed. The exam used only three questions not related to the alleged offense. These questions were:1. Do you intend to answer all questions honestly? 2. Do you live in San Diego? and 3. Are you sitting down?. The remaining questions were related to the alleged offense. I  presume that the responses to the questions of interest will be compared to the responses of the obviously true questions like, Are you sitting down?. This makes it much harder to pass. No longer can one use exciting thoughts on questions presumed to be false, such as Have you ever lied? since no false questions are presented. If one tries to get an increased response on questions like Are you sitting down, it comes across like you are lying. I don't know what to do to pass the exam. Any hints?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Not Your Normal Polygraph Exam
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 8:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If you have been accused of a crime (you mention questions about an "alleged offense"), then I think your best option is to refuse the polygraph. That said, the technique you described appears to be the "relevant/irrelevant test" in which the polygrapher looks for "consistent, specific, and significant" reactions to a particular relevant question. I cannot know what scoring criteria any local agency might be using for this completely invalid procedure, but I think the most important thing one can do to help avoid a false positive outcome is to do what one can to appear truthful and cooperative while avoiding behaviors that interrogators are trained to associate with deception. You'll find suggestions in this regard in the section on "behavioral countermeasures" in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Not Your Normal Polygraph Exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X