Normal Topic Concerns for NYPD candidates, RE: Investigation (Read 30940 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NYPDV
New User

Concerns for NYPD candidates, RE: Investigation
Jun 10th, 2006 at 12:25am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I've been browsing the forums and noticed alot of indirect questions regarding the NYPD hiring process, specifically concerns about infractions found in the backround investigation.

I thought to help out some new candidates, I'd give them some info I know to be true.

First, My own personal Investigation

Never Arrested, Never Charged with anything, never suspended from school.

I got fired from Every single job I ever had, from the ages of 16-19 yes, Let me repeat that, EVERY SINGLE JOB

-Fired from Pizza Hut for stealing (age 16)

-Fired from Retail store for stealing a soda (Age 16)

-Fired from another Retail store for brandishing a weapon during an altercation with a customer (Age 18)

-Fired from an office summer job for poor work ethic, showing up late, taking long lunches etc. (Age 18)

-Fired from a tutoring job at college for a low GPA (Age 18)

Ok, thats all pre-military. It should be known that, I told my investigator clear and consisely about the office job, I was fortunate that the 2nd retail job i had went out of business so I didnt mention it, and I told him about the incidents at te other jobs, but said I left on my own terms, I figured the worst case scenario would be my word against theirs if there was a conflict.

Then I joined the Military

-Recieved 1 Article 15 for Insubordination (After I refused to train when i wanted out of the military, My recruiter fed me a bunch of BS and it wasnt for me)

-Was given a "General Discharge Under less than honorable conditions" After I went AWOL from A.I.T and turned myself in, They wouldnt let me go, so I had to just quit.  I spent a total of 7 months in the Army

After That I was good, I held 2 jobs in the next 2 1/2 years both of which I quit under good terms and both in the same industry.

- 2 Speeding Tickets
- 1 Ticket for following to close.

All of this stuff, I told my investigator, And I have been a NYPD Cop for 7 years now, and I just made Detective. 

I needed the NYPD to make a fresh start kinda, If you're confident you can be a good cop, you can be. 

I'm not ashamed of any of this, cause I was a kid, and you're investigator will know that, for a job that's only paying 25k nowadays, we need all the help we can get, and someone can make a great cop even if they were a little stupid when they were younger.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO, DON'T HIDE ANYTHING FROM YOUR INVESTIGATOR. It's much better to disclose it then to have it come up, trust me. I told them i basically quit those other jobs but one of them actually reported back to my investigator, and I had to explain myself, Again, it was my word against theirs, but it wasnt a conversation I liked having.

Also, if you were an ADD stupid kid like me who couldnt hold a job on the outside, Be sure to wise up for the Academy, in this day in age its MUCH EASIER TO GET KICKED OUT OF THE NYPD THAN IT IS TO GET IN.

I hope this alleviated some of your troubles, unless you killed someone, or did something really bad, your backround check should be ok, and you can still be a good cop.

Good Luck

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tika
New User

Re: Concerns for NYPD candidates, Investigation
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 6:15am
I appreciate you posting this.  I was arrested 4 times for either promotion of prostitution or prostitiution in 1995.  all charges were dismissed except for one which was reduced to a disorderly conduct violation.  i did three days community service.  I was 21.  I am now 33 with a bachelors in psych and a decent work history.  all was fine until i was jumped by a roommate on the street in brooklyn last september at 11am.  we were both arrested as neither one was clearly more injured than the other.  all charges were dismissed and were were released.  she assualted me again and is still under a restraining order to this day.  I went to lefrak and disclosed all above info.  I was given the package to complete and told to call my investigator by the assigned date.  I did so and was told i am placed on hold/ review.  I never had the opportunity to meet in person or submit any of my package.  Help!   this cannot be the end!  This is a very important position to me.  I do not discredit my past in any way.  I have all depositions and have fully disclosed all info.  Iwould like the opportunity to discuss my situation.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tika
New User

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2006 at 6:41am
i would like to add to the previous post i wrote.  what I am asking is for:
1.  feedback on how to proceed
2.  info on what my chances for hire are

I did speak with an individual at the applicant processing division who deals with files placed on hold/ review.  he looked up my ssn and quietly commented oh, not too bad.  I can only assume this means I am not totally disqualified at this point.  He gave me the name of a sargeant to contact who decides if to proceed with investigations.  It was suggested i wait until september to contact him.   

I understand this process can take awhile.  I respect that I have made it difficult on m own.  I would be a bit more patient if I were not already 33!   

I want to be persistent, and resourceful.  I also want to respect the chain of command meaning I do not want to wait for my investigator if he is not going to proceed but I do not want to go over one's head either.   

any feedback?  thanks.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tiffany

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2015 at 12:22pm
So i reached out to my investigator in September when her name and information was given to me the day of my medical, she told me to contact her after October 7th which i did and i didnt her back from her yesterday i reached out to her again and i just recieved an email from her stating that i was being assigned a new investigator(before i even meet or have met with the first one) so my question is what could be the possible reason for this happening. i have never been in any trouble! Could it just be the work flow is being split to fasten the paste of getting people in to the acedemy? #flusteredandconfused Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sumit Armani

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2015 at 5:14pm
Hello, 
I am having an issue with my background investigation. I cleared everything else and was good to get into 2016 Jan Academy class. However, I recently found out that I am in some kind of hold for "failure to disclose information". I used to drive a TAXI in my school years and received number of summons, about 8-9 moving violations including red light, illegal left turn, reckless driving etc. I looked at my DMV records and based on my memory I have listed whatever I could but i did not remember them all since they are mostly from the year 2066-2009.  My investigator found those tickets from Taxi and limousine commission and I had to visit them and get the official verdict. I paid fine for all of them and there is no outstanding balance but I was told by my investigator that failure to disclose information looks bad and considered lying. I told her I did not lie I simply did not remember them as there were so many. She said everyone says the same and now I am under further investigation and she said its not in her hand anymore as she submitted my file to the next level. She said its not a ground for DQ as the rest of my investigation came out clean but not to get into anymore traffic incident. Can you please tell me what happens now? I can't just indefinitely wait around I do have to make decisions to move on with my life but joining NYPD is my dream and I have been waiting years and sacrificed  a lot during my application processing. Since its not in my investigators hand anymore who do I contact? How can I prove I did not lie I simply did not remember? How long I may have to wait? Please help with any suggestions you can I really would appreciate it ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ex Member
God Member

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 6:00pm
Quote:
How can I prove I did not lie I simply did not remember? 

Proving this would be impossible. Your other questions are out of the scope of a polygraph forum, some posters may be able to provide some insight, but I cannot.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box darksider06

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2016 at 8:42pm
how on did you ever get passed Psy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ronnie jorge

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 11:36pm
ok so i pass all my exams and i have a very deep concern cause over the last 10 years i had at least 12 jobs some i was fire some i just quit and left for another job one job i was fired for having a relationship with an associate ect.. my concern is will my job history impact or DQ me from getting this job

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box elmoc

Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 4:12pm
I got a concern about my work history, I just filed my my APD-5 and I'm waiting for my investigator. My case is that I have being working for 9 employers for the last 14 years. In those jobs i being terminated 4 times and they other I have quit them. I have a have a misdemeanor about 6 year, but my case was dismissed I really want to work as a NYPD officer and I will like to see what are chances, any help please.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NYBLU

Reply #9 - May 23rd, 2017 at 10:27pm
I had the medical today. Everything was going fine I filled out all the paperwork correctly. I received an investigator and 10 min before everyone was getting assigned for their Jst they said if you received a new investigator to step outside. It was about 3 or 4 of us. At that time they told us we could go and that are investigator would be in touch? Any idea what this means???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box POCan

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2018 at 5:54pm
Would being sent to the psych inpatient by police officers show up during assessments?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Die Abwehr
New User

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2018 at 3:39am
What if you were in the military but got a failure to adapt before 6 months time? Can they see that or would it not show up? I think that counts as if you never even saw a recruiter.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Dan Mangan
God Member

Reply #12 - May 11th, 2018 at 12:52am
Die Abwehr wrote on May 10th, 2018 at 3:39am:
What if you were in the military but got a failure to adapt before 6 months time? Can they see that or would it not show up? I think that counts as if you never even saw a recruiter.

With that kind of thinking, I humbly suggest that you abandon any hope of employment with the government at any level whatsoever.

IP Logged

Concerns for NYPD candidates, RE: Investigation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X