Normal Topic Wen Ho Lee now a millionaire (Read 2351 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Wen Ho Lee now a millionaire
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 7:18am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
To all concerned,

Well do to the bungling and botched witchhunt that is the investigation of Wen Ho Lee. Great job FBI ...

Wen Ho Lee is now a millionaire, from my tax dollars. And his payday is all do to a polygraph exam he failed.

Angry

Text Follows:

Atomic Scientist Sues U.S. Government

June 2, 2006 10:30 p.m. EST

Josephine Roque - All Headline News Contributor
New York, NY (AHN) - An atomic scientist once suspected of espionage, yesterday settled an invasion of privacy lawsuit against the government for $1,645,000, the New York Times reports. 

Wen Ho Lee was falsely accused of giving nuclear secrets to the Chinese. He spent nine months in solitary confinement awaiting trial. 

Dr. Lee contends that the government violated privacy laws by leaking his employment history, finances, travels and polygraph tests to the media. 

According to the New York Times, five reporters had been held in contempt of court in the case and ordered to pay fines of $500 a day for refusing to disclose the identities of their sources. The settlement included a $750,000 contribution from their employers. Media law practitioners said that such a payment to avoid a contempt sanction is new. 

The five news organizations - The New York Times, The Los Angeles Times, The Associated Press, The Washington Post and ABC - said they made the payment reluctantly. 

"We did so," the news organizations explained, "to protect our confidential sources, to protect our journalists from further sanction and possible imprisonment, and to protect our news organizations from potential exposure." 

Link: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7003794375

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Wen Ho Lee now a millionaire
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I think the U.S. Government got off cheap for what it did to Dr. Lee. I think he also deserves a presidential pardon and full restoration of his civic rights.

Regarding the sordid role of the polygraph in the investigation that eventually led to Wen Ho Lee's arrest, see "The Case of Wen Ho Lee" in Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (at pp. 52-58 of the 4th edition).

I also recommend Lee's book, My Country Versus Me. (I have an autographed copy.) Here is an excerpt, taken from the website of the PEN American Center:

Quote:
http://www.pen.org/page.php/prmID/981

From My Country Versus Me
By Wen Ho Lee with Helen Zia

If I actually had been a spy, I surely would have been long gone with a one-way ticket out of Los Alamos. But I knew the truth about myself. Funny thing, though, that truth also kept me in a state of denial. It was simply inconceivable to me that any rational person who had the facts could think that I was a spy. As a scientist, I thought of facts as indisputable. I clung to the simple belief that the facts would prove the truth, and that in America, a person is innocent until proven guilty. Until this happened to me, I never thought that what I look like or where I was born would affect how people saw the facts and whether they could accept the truth.

On Saturday, March 6, the day after my office was searched, the New York Times ran this headline on their front page: “BREACH AT LOS ALAMOS: A special report; China Stole Nuclear Secrets for Bombs, U.S. Aides Say.” It was a long and sensational story. According to the Times, China used our nuclear technology to make a great leap in miniaturizing their newest nuclear warheads, which were remarkably similar to the W-88.

I did not read the New York Times—I don’t read any newspapers on a regular basis because I have generally considered the news to be a waste of my time. At our house, my wife reads the newspaper and will tell me if there is something that might be of interest to me. My interests are not complicated: science and math, my family and friends, classical music, and fishing.

So ordinarily, I would have missed the article. But on that particular Saturday, my friends Bob and Kathy Clark—the ones who had traveled to China with us in 1986 as part of the LANL [Los Alamos National Laboratory] group—stopped by with a copy of the New York Times story, which they had gotten off the Internet. Bob said, “Wen Ho, you better read this. There’s something strange happening. You’ve got to take this seriously. Something’s going on.”

After one look at the headline, my initial thought was, this story has nothing to do with me. I’m not interested in reading this. But then I wondered, Are they talking about me? Does anybody else fit this description? No, it sounds like it’s me.

Alberta called me that morning. She had read the story in North Carolina. She was very upset and frightened. “Ba, this story is about you,” she cried. “The Rosenbergs were executed for being traitors! And the New York Times is saying that you’re worse than the Rosenbergs!”

Alberta read parts of the story to me. Unlike the Wall Street Journal article in January that mentioned a spy suspect at Los Alamos but gave few details, the New York Times was much more explicit. They didn’t identify this suspect by name, but described him as a Los Alamos computer scientist who is Chinese American and who failed a lie detector test in February. It said that the “suspect’s wife was invited to address a Chinese conference…even though she was only a secretary at LANL”—her husband was the real nuclear weapons expert. Unnamed officials leaked my personal information to the Times and were quoted as saying, “The suspect had traveled to Hong Kong without reporting the trip as required. In Hong Kong…the [FBI] bureau found records showing that the scientist had obtained $700 from the American Express offices. Investigators suspect that he used it to buy an airline ticket to Shanghai.” The article said that the DOE gave the suspect a lie detector test in December. “Unsatisfied, the FBI administered a second test in February, and officials said the suspect was found to be deceptive.”

I was shocked and deeply disturbed that the New York Times could be so definite that a suspect who fit my description had given nuclear weapons secrets about the W-88 to China. I knew I hadn’t given any secrets about the W-88 or anything else, but the New York Times didn’t bother to point out that they had no proof of any of the allegations, nor did they ever suggest that I could possibly be innocent. If they could accept these falsehoods as fact, what else did they get wrong? They quoted Paul Redmond, the CIA’s former counterintelligence chief: “This is going to be just as bad as the Rosenbergs….This was far more damaging to the national security than Aldrich Ames.” On what did this Redmond, this so-called expert, base his extreme claims? Did the New York Times even try to substantiate such an extreme comparison?

I’d heard of Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, the couple who were put to death for giving secrets from Los Alamos to the Soviet Union in the 1950s during the McCarthy era. That happened before I came to America. I didn’t know of this Aldrich Ames, but I found out soon enough that he worked at the CIA and for 10 years sold secrets about America’s spy apparatus to the Russians; his treachery led to the deaths of many CIA and FBI sources. Now the New York Times was painting me as worse than the Rosenbergs and Ames.

I could not understand how such a powerful and influential newspaper could be so one-sided. As Judge Parker pointed out in his courtroom apology to me, the case against me was built on misleading sensationalism, and this newspaper let itself become a conduit for those lies and leads about me. Maybe that’s how they sell newspapers, but it came at the expense of my family and me. The New York Times ought to have apologized to us, because their article pushed Congress, the DOE, and FBI, and LANL over the edge. According to their article and the people quoted in it, there was no room for doubt: China got its nuclear technology by spying on America, the spy was from Los Alamos, and I was it. Yet not a single one of these assertions has been proved true.

The article made me sound even more suspicious by printing false information—outright lies about me that could have been easily checked. I never took a secret trip to Hong Kong. My trip to the conference in Hong Kong in 1992 had full LANL and DOE approval. I paid the $700 for my hotel room and a tour for Alberta with my credit card—there was no secret ticket to Shanghai or anywhere else! New York Times Pulitzer Prize-winning reporters who wrote these lies could have found the facts, had they bothered to question any of the information leaked to them by the lab, the DOE, and the FBI.

In time, it would become almost routine for me to find vicious, unsubstantiated lies about me in the news, leaked by politicians and bureaucrats, all presented as though they were verified facts. I was learning that the truth is not as simple as I believed....

In February 2001, the New York Times and the Washington Post once again ran stories with information leaked from the government, this time from ongoing FBI questioning, which we are not permitted to speak about. The papers said that I had received a $5,000 consulting fee from Chung Shan Institute in Taiwan, and that I was being investigated for “small family accounts in Taiwanese and Canadian banks.” But LANL knew about and approved my consulting work, which was commonly done by lab scientists; the Washington Post inaccurately stated that the lab did not know. The Taiwan bank account was set up for my sister, who had since passed away, to help her with treatment of some serious health problems and other family emergencies. It never contained more than $3,000. My wife opened an account with a Canadian bank when she was visiting New York—that account never had more than $10 in it, and the bank finally sent us a letter that they were closing the account because it was such a small amount. The FBI had that letter from the bank, but of course they only leaked the information that made me sound bad.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post has published stories stating that some government officials are accusing me of being a potential spy for Taiwan. Does this mean we begin the same farce all over again, this time with Taiwan as the villain instead of the PRC? And here I thought Taiwan was an ally that America has sworn to defend. Mark Holscher has had to tell the newspapers that any suggestion of wrongdoing was false, and pointed out that these “unnamed government officials” who leak to the news risk violating federal criminal law by talking about the investigation.

When I see these reports, I feel very disgusted, as if I’m watching two gangs of hoodlums—the government and the news—joining forces to keep the FBI employed and to sell newspapers. I feel that it is irresponsible for the New York Times to continue to print these leaks, especially after they printed two long, self-critical yet self-congratulatory articles which did admit that their tone might have been more balanced and they might have treated me as more human, but then also said they had got most of it “right,” and they did nothing wrong. I agree with one point—they should have treated me more like a human being instead of just some Chinese dog or cat whose life and reputation means nothing. In Russia, the government has tortured people by beating them or sending them to Siberia. Here in America, people can be tortured by the media, which involves a highly developed technique. The government gives leaks to reports, and too often, the newspapers print them. I realize that not all reporters are like this, and that they have a job to do; I also saw many stories that I thought were very balanced and fair. But when a little guy like me gets destroyed in the media by a behemoth like the government, it is impossible to change the minds of all people who wrongly conclude, “Oh, you’re Wen Ho Lee, the spy who stole the W-88!” This is how torture-by-media works.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Wen Ho Lee now a millionaire

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X