Normal Topic Duke Lacrosse Player Says He Passed Polygraph (Read 3505 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Duke Lacrosse Player Says He Passed Polygraph
May 16th, 2006 at 3:42am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-05...

Third lacrosse player charged in Duke rape case
Mon May 15, 2006 4:17pm ET11

MIAMI (Reuters) - A third Duke University lacrosse player was indicted on Monday on charges of raping a dancer at a team party and immediately declared his innocence, calling the allegations "fantastic lies."

David Evans, a co-captain of the lacrosse team, was charged with rape, sexual offense and kidnapping, the same charges brought last month against two teammates, Reade Seligmann and Collin Finnerty.

The accusations of rape brought by a black woman against the three white students at the elite U.S. university has captured attention of the U.S. media and some community activists, who are citing it as an example of racial and class tensions in Durham, North Carolina, where the school is located.

At a news conference, carried live on national television from outside the jail where he turned himself in, Evans said he had tried to provide prosecutors with evidence clearing himself and his teammates but had been turned away.

Surrounded by his teammates wearing business attire, Evans said he had taken a lie detector test that proved his innocence of the rape of the woman, who was hired to dance and strip at the party on March 13.

"I am innocent. Reade Seligmann is innocent. Collin Finnerty is innocent. Every member of the Duke University lacrosse team is innocent," Evans said. "You have all been told some fantastic lies and I look forward to seeing them unravel in the weeks to come ... the truth will come out."

The players' accuser, a 27-year-old mother of two hired to dance at an off-campus home shared by three of the players, told police the next day she had been raped by three white men.

The three played on the nationally ranked Duke lacrosse team. The coach resigned and the university canceled the team's season after weeks of community protests following the rape allegation.

The case has sparked wide U.S. media coverage of Duke, where the annual cost of tuition and board exceeds the average annual income of families in the city.

© Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Re: Duke Lacrosse Player Says He Passed Polygraph
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2006 at 4:45am
that's good for him PR wise. for his criminal case its absolutely useless I suspect. Most pre screening polys would not stand up in court, but they dont have to.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box EosJupiter
Especially Senior User

But of Course ...

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2006 at 6:06am
Bill,

This is known as media saturation, and is a great way to make sure that as many potential jurors know this kid passed a polygraph. Its effect has the potential to be devastating to the prosecution. And as we know the validity of the polygraph is garbage but it does make great theatre. It leaves the prosecution with little alternative but to try the case on its merits not hearsay. But the average juror will believe that the kid is innocent. He has some good lawyers ..... Most likely from his dad's law firm. Its a brillient strategy.

Regards ...

Theory into Reality !!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Also, as noted on the blog, under terms of attorney-client privilege, a lawyer can send his client from polygrapher to polygrapher until he "passes" a polygraph examination. The results of any failures can be kept secret. For this reason, the results of attorney-brokered polygraph examinations have less than zero evidentiary value, as the only results that will ever be made public are those that favor the client. The main purpose for releasing such polygraph results is to shape public opinion, including that of potential jurors, with "evidence" that would not be admissible in court.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Irishgeek
New User

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2006 at 10:41pm
Quote:
...The main purpose for releasing such polygraph results is to shape public opinion, including that of potential jurors,....

Very clever indeed..!!  8)

I guess it always helps when Daddy owns a Law firm....  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2006 at 3:47am
this option is open to anyone. I did the same afer failing my first 2 for the FBI. I still failed but had I passed, the guy (an ex FBI guy) told me he would called FBI HQ on my behalf. Since I failed, no bigge except some money out the door. I ended up getting an appeal test anyway though, which i also failed. DOH!

IP Logged

Duke Lacrosse Player Says He Passed Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X